I Went Crazy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Boss Hogg

Re: I Went Crazy

Post by Boss Hogg »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:01 pm
No Spyderco fixed blades.....

Amateur..... :winking-tongue
I couldn’t help going for the Street Bowie…but hey, I thought about dropping over $400 on a Darn Dao, so at least I am somewhat capable of restraint.

On the fixed blade front, I do have some Survive GSMs ordered…no idea when they’ll ship though.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:23 pm
I don't think one can delete is own posts.
Everything was all fun and play, the OP did show a picture of like almost 10 knives he bought since he bought his first Para 3 LW recently !
It was his first Spyderco and then a Subver, Yojimbo or Yojumbo, Manbug, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Shaman and other seemed to have followed very, very fast ^^
It’s a Jimbo…but I was close to going for the big one.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:43 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Oh wowy wow. You do really dive in. It looks like you have your bases covered. I would suggest slowdown and use them a bit. I found my tastes changed trying to hunt the "Perfect Folder " for me. My tastes now are not what they were when I started. Needed to use some models for different situations to discover my preferences. I may have fewer or different models if I really knew what I preferred.
I’m sure that that’s Sage advice (knife reference intended). I barely have had time to get to know the knives yet. I think once I have the Chief, Street Bowie, and Native 5 Manga (whenever that comes out) it’ll be time to stop and spend a year or so getting much more acquainted with the collection.

That said, I’ve mostly gone after larger knives, and I would like to get something smaller from Taiwan. The Kapara feels the best to me out of everything, but I don’t know if I just got an excellent example. The Subvert is also really nice, but it’s obviously a more specialty knife, and I doubt it’s going to be in my pocket a whole lot. The Golden knives all seem
slightly nicer than the Seki-City, but there’s something about the Kapara that is above and beyond. I suppose it’s also a price thing.

I am leaning toward a Chaparral, but I’ve heard so much good about the Sage 5, I just can’t decide. And of course, there’s the Dragonfly for getting into a truly smaller design; albeit, that one is Japanese.

But there I go again…I should probably just stop now and enjoy what I have.
The Chaparral is really nice. It does a whole lot with very little. The real winning feature on that one is the thinness of the blade. It tears through cardboard. I tend to prefer a little more blade, so I do not own one anymore.

I do have the Kapara. Overall, it is my favorite design. The blade length for the relatively small footprint is amazing. I really prefer the profile of the blade. Especially the edge where you only have a slight belly towards the tip. The scales look amazing. My old/new Caly 3.5 is giving the Kapara a run for its money.

Maybe hold out buying until you get the Native Chief. Get that in hand and see what you think. I do not have one and have only handled one. The eventual Lightweight Native Chief is probably my most anticipated new model.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wow! Nice "start"!! Can't wait to see your collection in a year...!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Seems normal around here!

Gayle Bradley 2

Yes to the Sage and yes to the Chaparral ;)
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:24 pm
Boss Hogg wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:43 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Oh wowy wow. You do really dive in. It looks like you have your bases covered. I would suggest slowdown and use them a bit. I found my tastes changed trying to hunt the "Perfect Folder " for me. My tastes now are not what they were when I started. Needed to use some models for different situations to discover my preferences. I may have fewer or different models if I really knew what I preferred.
I’m sure that that’s Sage advice (knife reference intended). I barely have had time to get to know the knives yet. I think once I have the Chief, Street Bowie, and Native 5 Manga (whenever that comes out) it’ll be time to stop and spend a year or so getting much more acquainted with the collection.

That said, I’ve mostly gone after larger knives, and I would like to get something smaller from Taiwan. The Kapara feels the best to me out of everything, but I don’t know if I just got an excellent example. The Subvert is also really nice, but it’s obviously a more specialty knife, and I doubt it’s going to be in my pocket a whole lot. The Golden knives all seem
slightly nicer than the Seki-City, but there’s something about the Kapara that is above and beyond. I suppose it’s also a price thing.

I am leaning toward a Chaparral, but I’ve heard so much good about the Sage 5, I just can’t decide. And of course, there’s the Dragonfly for getting into a truly smaller design; albeit, that one is Japanese.

But there I go again…I should probably just stop now and enjoy what I have.
The Chaparral is really nice. It does a whole lot with very little. The real winning feature on that one is the thinness of the blade. It tears through cardboard. I tend to prefer a little more blade, so I do not own one anymore.

I do have the Kapara. Overall, it is my favorite design. The blade length for the relatively small footprint is amazing. I really prefer the profile of the blade. Especially the edge where you only have a slight belly towards the tip. The scales look amazing. My old/new Caly 3.5 is giving the Kapara a run for its money.

Maybe hold out buying until you get the Native Chief. Get that in hand and see what you think. I do not have one and have only handled one. The eventual Lightweight Native Chief is probably my most anticipated new model.
Thanks for the continued advice. I just made another (moderated) post resigning myself to the inevitability that I will continue buying everting I can, but I do appreciate you being the voice of reason. I’ll do my best to hold off buying anything until I’ve handled the Chief.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RevMike wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:12 pm
Enactive wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:29 pm
If the OP is new and edited the post it could need to be moderated again.
I can see the post now.
I think this was the answer.

It's a heck of a start on a collection.
Yes it is ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:15 pm
My post is missing too . I didn’t cuss , polite , and didn’t make fun of Kevin . MG2
I'm dying laughing at this. Poor Kevin.

I must have posted before the edit. Then came back after being quoted and after it was sorted out. This thread had me cracking up.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Nevermind…I see that Kevin is the member that was making the suggestion about custom scales, clips, and grinds.

Again, I’m totally new to this game, so I barely know what I’m doing.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Lol - I feel like the guy who leaves a bad voicemail, then leaves a series of 10 more trying to make up for the original. It’s really annoying to not know if my posts are going to appear, and I am having trouble remembering what all I’ve said.

Again, sorry If this is confusing to anyone other than me.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Wow…. That’s quite the dive in. Good job!

I feel like you need a Delica. But be careful, they are like Swiss Army knives, a collection within a collection.

[sarcasm]
I’m also not sure this forum will be good for you. It seems, unlike the rest of us, you might have an addiction. We all, on the other hand, have complete control and only buy knives as we “need” them. :winking-tongue
[/sarcasm]
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The world is crazy, and you're going sane.
Great picks.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

OP, I did much the same thing and am slowly learning more and more about just which designs suit me best. Make sure you can keep them sharp!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

good grief! you went crazy in a really good way. :rofl
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I can see it now, too. Mystery solved, I guess? Fast start to Boss Hogg’s collection, to be sure. It would take me many months to become well acquainted with so many new knives.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:48 pm
I’m probably going to get a Sage 5 or Chaparral as well, but I cannot decide between the two…maybe I need both.

It’s hard to pick a favorite so far, but I’m really digging the Kapara and the Shaman. I’ve used the Para 3 LW and Shaman the most, depending on what I’m doing, and both have performed admirably.

Any advice on what else I might want to add to the collection is appreciated. Or, if you think I’m an idiot for buying so many knives without knowing what I’m doing, feel free to lay into me. :winking-tongue

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes .. Now that is an impressive start...

Advice?

- Serrated edges: You "only" have PE Spydies so far, while for me personally SE performs better in almost any task. I´d strongly recommend the Endela SE for trying out "teeth", it has great serrations (cause: Serrations are not (ground) the same on any knife (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84985), and no, also NOT hard to sharpen (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544#p1349519)

- Sharpmaker: Unless you have a sharpening system already that works for you (also for SE), I´d recommend getting a Sharpmaker as "next Spyderco"

- Thin blade stock: Between Sage 5 and Chaparral I´d take the latter, given what you already have!
The Chaparral has 2mm ffg blade, really rare even in Spydercos lineup. I have extensive experience with this knife, you can beat on it and use is "hard" just like any other Spydie, while the thin blade is still a factor that makes it superior at, well, what a knife is made for: Cutting / slicing... ;) )
If you don´t go for the Chap: A Delica with its 2.5 mm ffg blade is pretty close. AND: You could try a wharncliffe blade in the Delica (preferably in SE... ;) )
One thing though that might speak for the Sage 5: Your 3 favorites so far have a comp.lock, just like the Sage 5. I personally though prefer backlock over comp.lock anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:15 pm
Deep carry pocket clips, custom scales, custom grinds, in that order!

General really good advice to look into "customizing" what you (op) already have and make it more "personal"!

If you (again, meant "you op") go that route though I´d recommend NOT "going crazy" again ;), but trying first what YOU like and what not on one single knife.
Example: While many obviously like deep carry pocket clips, others really don´t. In my case I´d go even so far to say: If there is anything I really dislike it is exactly deep carry clips (except in knives sized at max like the Chaparral and smaller) -imo makes the folder feel longer/larger in pocket, often leaves it in an a bit less ideal position in hand for opening, and (for me!) looks just weird.
So if I were you I´d NOT order lets say deep carry clips and Micarta custom scales or whatever for ALL of your folders at once... (saying this cause your first post suggests you are the type of guy who could be inclined to do just this... ;) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
olywa

Post by olywa »

Need a Centofante 3 in there. Slim, elegant, thin blade stock, and a pretty good value to boot.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

olywa wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:34 am
Need a Centofante 3 in there. Slim, elegant, thin blade stock, and a pretty good value to boot.
Okay, one more “blind” post.

I hadn’t considered the Centofante 3 yet, but that does look like it had nice blade geometry and ergos at a reasonable price point. Thanks for the tip - I’ll do more research.

The slim knife that I have been wondering about is the Ikuchi. I don’t know what the sentiments are around here towards this knife (or flippers in general), but it’s a knife that I’d like to try before buying, as I think I’d either love it or hate it. I do find it very intriguing though. I felt the same with the Subvert, and I was very happy when I got it last night.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

olywa wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:34 am
Very true.

I need another one again too.