I Went Crazy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Boss Hogg

Re: I Went Crazy

Post by Boss Hogg »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:51 am
Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:39 pm
I almost forgot about this…(again - I have compulsive buying problems), but I picked this knife up sometime last year because I thought it was so pretty. I’ve never used it.

Does William Henry have a good reputation for making functional knives, or are they more so known as collectible artwork?

BFA9E291-663F-4148-96F6-AAD66AAAF4A8.jpeg

945B1077-A0B8-44B0-8B54-AF70FA4ABCD3.jpeg
This looks like the type of knife that would be on an Orvis catalog for a wife that didn’t know what to get her husband.

If this knife is just going to sit in a box, it might be worth something in a hundred years?

Looks like a nice modern meets traditional folding knife… it could make for a good talking point if it was purchased as a memento for an occasion. Also looks like it could be a nice gentleman’s knife for use with a Sunday suit.
Lol - maybe it was a waste of a ton of money then.

Here’s their current collection:

https://www.williamhenry.com/knives.html
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:25 pm
Oh, also, I got my Street Bowie today…I had actually forgotten about it (yeah - I’ve got a compulsive buying disorder), but I must say that it feels pretty incredible in hand, and with the really nice sheath, it seems like a solid buy at $100. I will probably add it to the camping gear, even though that’s not its main intention.

Also, the wife actually felt comfortable handling it, which is not the norm. I didn’t show her the sheath, and said it was like a beefed up steak knife.

And yes, I was already called an amateur for mentioning fixed blades on the forum, but I am very happy about this knife, even if it’s a bit tacticool.
You were called a amateur for not having a fixed blade yet…..job done with a Street Bowie so you can move up from amateur :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Looks like the good kind of crazy to me!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:49 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Boss Hogg wrote:
I almost forgot about this…(again - I have compulsive buying problems), but I picked this knife up sometime last year because I thought it was so pretty. I’ve never used it.

Does William Henry have a good reputation for making functional knives, or are they more so known as collectible artwork?

This looks like the type of knife that would be on an Orvis catalog for a wife that didn’t know what to get her husband.

If this knife is just going to sit in a box, it might be worth something in a hundred years?

Looks like a nice modern meets traditional folding knife… it could make for a good talking point if it was purchased as a memento for an occasion. Also looks like it could be a nice gentleman’s knife for use with a Sunday suit.

Wow, these are very impressive craftsman at work at William Henry!

These are more art than tool. It’s a very strange niche to me. My brain goes to thinking of paintings and sculpture as works of art. I think if it was me personally, I would be collecting frontier knives from the 1800’s or going down a rabbit whole into artifacts i.e. (a copy of Danial Boones Bowie knife.)

William Henry looks to be a fusion of old and new. These are not utility folding knives for sure… more like the Rolex of pocket knives.

You can have this same artistry and craftsmanship by getting a custom folder from anyone in Spyderco’s line up. The guy who makes the Spyderco Stovepipe is a good example. Spyderco is able to recreate the custom work in a production folder. David Rydbom https://kingdomarmory.com/

I really like Spyderco because of there collaborative relationships with custom knife makers.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:54 am
Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:25 pm
Oh, also, I got my Street Bowie today…I had actually forgotten about it (yeah - I’ve got a compulsive buying disorder), but I must say that it feels pretty incredible in hand, and with the really nice sheath, it seems like a solid buy at $100. I will probably add it to the camping gear, even though that’s not its main intention.

Also, the wife actually felt comfortable handling it, which is not the norm. I didn’t show her the sheath, and said it was like a beefed up steak knife.

And yes, I was already called an amateur for mentioning fixed blades on the forum, but I am very happy about this knife, even if it’s a bit tacticool.
You were called a amateur for not having a fixed blade yet…..job done with a Street Bowie so you can move up from amateur :winking-tongue
Ah! I totally misunderstood then, and I appreciate the promotion ;)
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:39 pm
Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:49 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Boss Hogg wrote:

Wow, these are very impressive craftsman at work at William Henry!

These are more art than tool. It’s a very strange niche to me. My brain goes to thinking of paintings and sculpture as works of art. I think if it was me personally, I would be collecting frontier knives from the 1800’s or going down a rabbit whole into artifacts i.e. (a copy of Danial Boones Bowie knife.)

William Henry looks to be a fusion of old and new. These are not utility folding knives for sure… more like the Rolex of pocket knives.

You can have this same artistry and craftsmanship by getting a custom folder from anyone in Spyderco’s line up. The guy who makes the Spyderco Stovepipe is a good example. Spyderco is able to recreate the custom work in a production folder. David Rydbom https://kingdomarmory.com/

I really like Spyderco because of there collaborative relationships with custom knife makers.
I hadn’t considered having customs made, but that’s certainly an interesting idea. I’ll have to research that further.

I’m assuming that there is a healthy market for collecting 1800s frontier knives, and that’s also a very interesting idea.

I collect vintage guitars, and it’s taken me decades, and probably a few thousands of hours of research, to understand the minutiae of details necessary to consider myself somewhat of an expert on the subject. I obviously enjoy deep-diving into things, and I’ve obviously just scratched the surface with knives.

Thanks - you’ve given me excellent food for thought.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:01 pm
I hadn’t considered having customs made, but that’s certainly an interesting idea. I’ll have to research that further.

I’m assuming that there is a healthy market for collecting 1800s frontier knives, and that’s also a very interesting idea.

I collect vintage guitars, and it’s taken me decades, and probably a few thousands of hours of research, to understand the minutiae of details necessary to consider myself somewhat of an expert on the subject. I obviously enjoy deep-diving into things, and I’ve obviously just scratched the surface with knives.

Thanks - you’ve given me excellent food for thought.
Spyderco is the way to get some custom value in a production knife. If you like a custom maker, but their books are closed for 3 years, Spyderco is a way to experience the custom work in their collab designs. I don’t want to commit to a Murray Carter, (I am no Japanese chef, nor do I know what to look for) but the Spyderco collab is both economical and it’s own functional art and a gateway to the custom maker (This example is a highly specialized knife for specific kitchen work.)

https://rheaknives.com/
Mr. Rhea has an Instagram account. He has some nice examples of knives out of Arkansas pre Civil War… the rabbit hole is deep.

Guitars! That is its own rabbit hole.

Spyderco knives are specialized tools. “Function over Form” is Mr. Glesser’s operational mission statement… though I haven’t read anyone pick his work out and critic it as such. He is a prodigy of functional design. Sal Glesser is also an active member of this (his) site, and he is happy to answer questions freely on this forum.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

UPDATE:

I added a few more to the collection:
165001C1-C3F2-4640-859F-BACCBCD0ED60.jpeg
Left to Right

Row 1
1. Para 3 LW SPY27
2. Para 2 Cruwear
3. Shaman S30V
4. Native Chief Rex 45
5. Manix 2 LW S110V
Row 2
1. Chaparral CTS- XHP
2. Kapara S30V
3. Subvert S30V
4. Smock S30V
Row 3
1. Spydiechef LC200N
2. Matriarch 2 VG-10
3. Yojimbo 2 S30V
4. Tenacious LW Combo S35VN
Row 4
1. Street Bowie VG-10
2. Non- Spydercos Underneath
3. Manbug K390
4. Ladybug hawkbill H1
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Welcome to the home of the spydercrazed people…
I was just like you when i started. I can tell you in time it will slow down maybe even stop for a year or even more. But it wil return because you are hooked for life! You can run but you can not hide from the spyderfever. 😎
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

apollo wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:07 pm
Welcome to the home of the spydercrazed people…
I was just like you when i started. I can tell you in time it will slow down maybe even stop for a year or even more. But it wil return because you are hooked for life! You can run but you can not hide from the spyderfever. 😎
Thanks for the welcome.

I’m sure that it will slow down now that I have about everything that I’ve been after. I actually have a green Salt Wharncliffe being shipped still, but after that, I’m waiting to see when the Maxamet offerings come out. I still want a Native 5, Ikuchi, Karahawk, and maybe a Sage 2, but I can wait for those.

I also want a Darn Dao and a Respect, but buying knives that I know that I’ll never cut with is hard to justify at those prices. But maybe…
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Bumping an old thread of mine…

So, after a year and a half of using Spyderco knives, which is my all around EDC winner?

Manix 2 LW S110V (C101DBL2):

This isn’t by any means my favorite knife in terms of looks, finish, or fidget factor. And I would love to “upgrade” the ball cage and lighten the spring for tension.

But when it comes to something that I would throw in my pocket without a second thought for EDC, it wins. It’s lightweight with a good clip, the blade geometry is excellent, and there is plenty of blade, the ergos are perfect, the gimping and choil make it very able-bodied at any task, it rides very well in the pocket without getting in the way, and the S110V is just amazing for edge retention. If I could only have one all around EDC option, I’d have to choose this guy…

That said, I have fallen in love with a bunch of my other Spydercos a lot more than this Manix…but none of them seem to singularly do better in all areas than this one.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Good update- interesting to hear where your head is at after jumping in headfirst and just experiencing a large chunk of spyderco's offerings.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:31 pm
So, after a year and a half of using Spyderco knives, which is my all around EDC winner?

Manix 2 LW S110V (C101DBL2)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

As an aside, I have to give props to the Chaparral in CF with XHP. It’s the knife I’d take as a “gentleman’s folder” most of the time. It will perform better than anything in its class that costs much more, and it looks good enough to be carried unless it’s a super fancy event…great knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:16 pm
As an aside, I have to give props to the Chaparral in CF with XHP. It’s the knife I’d take as a “gentleman’s folder” most of the time. It will perform better than anything in its class...

You have chosen wisely again ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)