I Went Crazy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Boss Hogg

Re: I Went Crazy

Post by Boss Hogg »

I can’t seem to stop posting blind, but I’ll try to make this one my last for the time being…

Anyway, concerning customizations, it seems like the Subvert is the most obvious choice. While I am growing fond of the orange G-10, when I saw this, I became happy:

https://youtu.be/bJc0Wrx_8kc

I don’t want to copy his design, but I do like the more Survival aspect he’s chosen. I was leaning toward finding custom scales, but the Cerakote on this knife turned out very nice imo.

So, in that vein, instead of a survival look, maybe go for an all metal/industrial type theme?

I’m looking through Cerakote colors, and there are a lot that appeal to me, but I keep being drawn toward the greys, titanium, tungsten, or silvers.

Maybe keep the backspacer orange for a contrast, but make the G-10 “satin mag” with “tungsten” clip and torx screws? Leave the blade, pivot, and liners stock?

Let me know if you think this would look good or be too much of the same thing…and if you have any other color combos, I’m open to any suggestions except turning it into a yellow banana.

Also, if you think that Cerakote is a bad idea, let me know. I’d likely be happy with custom scales, but I’m not sure who’s making them.

Here’s the chart that I’ve been referencing for colors:
4FFFB466-0ED7-4504-A125-3FA11D68C26C.jpeg
Last thing: I’ve so far been unsuccessful with trying to center align pictures. I see the align function, but when I try to but the code for the image inside the align brackets, it’s not working for me.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:20 pm
Oh wowy wow. You do really dive in. It looks like you have your bases covered. I would suggest slowdown and use them a bit. I found my tastes changed trying to hunt the "Perfect Folder " for me. My tastes now are not what they were when I started. Needed to use some models for different situations to discover my preferences. I may have fewer or different models if I really knew what I preferred.
This are my immediate thoughts as well.
I took much of the same approach and bought a lot of what looked interesting, knowing very little about how the knives would fit into my use and carry habits.
You have a nice selection there to get started, get experience and develop your preferences.

While a certain selection is necessary to experience the differences between lock types, blade shapes etc. too many could easily become a distraction. Go out and use what you have and refine your collection as you go.

@Wartstein is also bringing up some really good advice. A sharpening system makes a lot of sense at this point, and if you really can’t resist buying another knife, a serrated knife would unlock a dimension of the knife hobby you have yet to enter.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Where's the Delica?
MNOSD member 0011
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:57 am
8< ---------
a serrated knife would unlock a dimension of the knife hobby you have yet to enter.
Never mind. Viewing your post, again, on a significantly larger screen, I can see both CE and SE knives.
You're all good ;)
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Glad to know I'm not the only new person off the rails around here. :rofl
I bought my first spydie in January, and now I'm up to 7. :grin-sweat

We should start a SKA (spyderco knives anonymous) group! Or I suppose that's what this forum is for. :thinking
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:27 pm
Wow! Nice "start"!! Can't wait to see your collection in a year...!
I too would like to see your collection in a year. I would also like to know how your sharpening game is going, and your thoughts in that time on collecting v. using.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:40 am
aicolainen wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:57 am
8< ---------
a serrated knife would unlock a dimension of the knife hobby you have yet to enter.
Never mind. Viewing your post, again, on a significantly larger screen, I can see both CE and SE knives.
You're all good ;)
Really? On my crappy phone screen they all look like PE.... that's why I recommended looking into SE, but it seems he already has..?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

It appears that some of my posts have appeared, but there are others that are still missing. I’ll just wait until they all appear, as I’ve addressed a lot of other points that I don’t want to repeat.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:58 am
It appears that some of my posts have appeared, but there are others that are still missing. I’ll just wait until they all appear, as I’ve addressed a lot of other points that I don’t want to repeat.

Just in case they never show up though, I have a Sharpmaker ordered, and it should be arriving in a few days. I also have 3 SE blades, and plan on getting a Salt 2 Wharncliffe SE as well.

Sorry - it’s really frustrating that a bunch of what I’ve written here isn’t showing up.

And oops - that was supposed to be an edit, not me quoting myself.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Boss Hogg wrote:
It gets better! Once you are out of purgatory, your posts will show up immediately. Should be soon.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:58 am
Boss Hogg wrote:
It gets better! Once you are out of purgatory, your posts will show up immediately. Should be soon.
It appears that they’re showing up immediately now, but there are multiple posts that I made that are still in limbo. Oh well…
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At this point, since you did say you were new to knives in general...I would personally use what I've currently got. Figure out what aspects of the knives appeals to you most (ergos, steel, lock type, handle material, blade shape/length) and then that will help you decide on your next purchase.

Wouldn't hurt to look into sharpening as well, so you can maintain all those knives.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

As others have suggested, it would be good to focus on using and sharpening.

I would recommend trying to up your sharpening skills, materials and confidence proportionally with the growth of your collection.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:11 am
It appears that they’re showing up immediately now, but there are multiple posts that I made that are still in limbo. Oh well…
You've passed the required number of moderated messages. The others will come once one of the administrators will okay them.
They are not much and we do be posting a lot ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

That's a super collection of knives. Maybe next time you feel like spending a few more bucks, you can grab the spyderpac small to keep them all in. I got once recently and think it's worth it.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Have fun, but slow down just a tad and enjoy the ride.

Download the Spyderco catalog, and read it front to back. Look at Dr Larrin Thomas' site and try to understand the steels, handle material types. Make a list of the top 5 to top 10 knives that you like.

Spyderco uses some amazing steels!

Here is the 2022 catalog
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/

Dr Larrin Thomas' site offers great analysis of most of the steels
https://knifesteelnerds.com/
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/05/01/ ... fe-steels/
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/05/10/ ... 15-rex-76/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome! Boy, you sure dived right into the deep end. I did the same thing, I wanted a taste of everything then jumped into exclusives (slippery slope here)
Enjoy the ride and as a suggestion look into the MuleTeam fixed blades....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Okay,

Got the Sharpmaker and REX45 Chief today. Spyderpac 18 is on its way.

All good advice. I’m going to go ahead and order a Chaparral and stop buying after that (well, I’m going to get the Native 5 Magnacut when it’s available as well).

I think I’ll have a pretty good assortment of knives to know what works for me and what I can do without. I’m really liking the Kapara, Shaman, Para 2 (Micarta), and Manix 2 best so far, but I really need to spend more time with each knife.

The Subvert is extremely nice as well, and I love how it deploys, cuts, and feels in hand, but it’s not a realistic EDC.

The Chief, on the other hand, feels like a large knife that I could carry…the ergos are pretty great fit for my hand on this one, and the weight and balance are perfect. I’ve got long, skinny fingers, and it suits them very well.

Thanks for the help so for, and I’ll update my progress once I’ve had more experience using everything. BTW - I’m new to folders, but it was second nature for me to figure out thumb and middle finger flicking with almost all of these knives - maybe that’s a good omen that I’ve made a good choice with Spyderco…or maybe it’s irrelevant…but either way, I’m enjoying having a collection of new tools to get to know…
293BBDE6-369B-43D2-B358-4CD5A9F97D79.jpeg
1A9D9261-36CD-4D73-B08E-4D24D32CBFDC.jpeg
270437FC-B339-480B-AB3D-069B896E4901.jpeg
Last edited by Boss Hogg on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:52 am
Welcome! Boy, you sure dived right into the deep end. I did the same thing, I wanted a taste of everything then jumped into exclusives (slippery slope here)
Enjoy the ride and as a suggestion look into the MuleTeam fixed blades....
It’s really easy to dive into these knives - my wallet isn’t happy, but I’ve been smiling for the past few weeks.

I’ve been looking at the Magnacut Mule, but I feel like it’d just be wasted on me at this point.
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

Agree with the others on customizing. I have always collected knives more slowly but that allowed me to focus on what really made sense for my uses. Figuring out what you use the most early on will help avoid many short term knife purchases. Once you figure out what you really like the most, customizing or buying already modified knives becomes more fun, just swapped scales and the clip on a lil native actually.

The spydiechef is a nice option for corrosion resistance that could fill a similar role to the native 5 salt. I use mine specially at times when the elements could be a factor. If they ever do a magnacut Techno that would be an easy purchase for me.

Over time less new knives now appeal to me but the ones that do are easier to pick out, you may experience something similar as you keep using them. Spyderco will always be my favorite but recently I have also tried getting some locally made (NC) brands, and that has been a fun way to add to the collection.