Pm2 oops & fix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bustedaw11

Pm2 oops & fix

Post by Bustedaw11 »

Well guys.. after a couple years I managed to break the tip off my pm2. I originally bent it slightly. It lived that way for months until I was sharpening it the other day and it bothered me to no end. My brilliant self thought I could coax it back straight. Bad idea.. obviously this didn't end well.. so I reshaped the end and here are the results. Opinions? Its bothering me because I love the straight spline pointy pm2 blades..
Attachments
20220121_120725.jpg
20220122_111808.jpg
20220122_111841.jpg
Michael Janich

Re: Pm2 oops & fix

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Bustedaw11:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Nice work!

Stay safe,

Mike
phaust

Post by phaust »

Looks like great work to me!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For sure, job well done on that fix!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Welcome aboard.

That’s a nice fix on that PM2.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

For sure, nothing wrong with your fix. I think it looks good, and it'll work fine, no issues.

That said, a straight edge (ruler, scale, etc...), a pencil/sharpie/..., some time (keeping the blade cool if you grind it in a way that would heat the blade), and you can "straighten" the spine giving you the look you prefer.

u.w.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Embrace the regrind.

I actually ruined my tip after trying to re-satin finish the blade with a belt sander after a failed mirror polish attempt. And of course it was on my favorite pm2.
Attachments
20220128_090017.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You got your pint back. Now just spend some free time straightening the rest of the spine. A piece of masking tape is a good way to mark a straight line while doing it.

The Delica and Endura come with dropped points and I have straightened a few.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
z1r

Post by z1r »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:16 am
You got your pint back. Now just spend some free time straightening the rest of the spine. A piece of masking tape is a good way to mark a straight line while doing it.

The Delica and Endura come with dropped points and I have straightened a few.
Why?

I think the repair was a good one. Just wondering why the need to "straighten" the whole blade?
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Bustedaw11 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:31 pm
Well guys.. after a couple years I managed to break the tip off my pm2. I originally bent it slightly. It lived that way for months until I was sharpening it the other day and it bothered me to no end. My brilliant self thought I could coax it back straight. Bad idea.. obviously this didn't end well.. so I reshaped the end and here are the results. Opinions? Its bothering me because I love the straight spline pointy pm2 blades..
Your fix looks good! Should work fine. The pointy blades are nice but a subtle drop at the point is more durable, in the end. There's a reason the Endura/Endela/Delica series has a little drop at the tip of the blade.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wandering_About wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:30 am
Bustedaw11 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:31 pm
Your fix looks good! Should work fine. The pointy blades are nice but a subtle drop at the point is more durable, in the end. There's a reason the Endura/Endela/Delica series has a little drop at the tip of the blade.
Kinda why I like my Endela so much. Then again, I try very hard to resist the urge to use my knives as prybars. Must resist!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The drop on the Delica and Endura was a later change to reduce warranty claims. They used to be sort of value knives for the average Joe and I think they were getting lots of reports of and warranty claims for broken tips. Early versions of both had a straight spine.

There isn’t a right answer here. Some folks value a more durable tip and some, like myself, value a more acute tip.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bustedaw11

Post by Bustedaw11 »

Thanks much for the welcome and opinions guys!
I will probably leave it as a reminder and buy a new 1 for the original feel when I want it. :)
Side note- I actually bent the tip via a zip tie! I was tryin to get the point in there and musta put a little more pressure on her then I thought. Then things went bad tryin to fix that as I said.
Bustedaw11

Post by Bustedaw11 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am
Embrace the regrind.

I actually ruined my tip after trying to re-satin finish the blade with a belt sander after a failed mirror polish attempt. And of course it was on my favorite pm2.
Your blades looking like a pm3 here, I kinda dig it!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Looks like making the best of a bad situation to me.. well done Bustedaw! Welcome.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Bustedaw11 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:55 pm
Thanks much for the welcome and opinions guys!
I will probably leave it as a reminder and buy a new 1 for the original feel when I want it. :)
Side note- I actually bent the tip via a zip tie! I was tryin to get the point in there and musta put a little more pressure on her then I thought. Then things went bad tryin to fix that as I said.
But a pair of diagonal pliers for cable ties. Much better tool for the job!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Bustedaw11

Post by Bustedaw11 »

I use my knives for everything man. I rarely have an issue and I am extremely picky about my folders staying as pristine as can be lol. I carry to much on me to pocket anything more like side cutters also. Also got 3 young ones and seems like about every darned toy they get is loaded with zip ties holding them in anymore. I'm sure if you have kids you understand how the toys get opened in the car on the way home, and not when you get home to your side cutters lol.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:31 pm

But a pair of diagonal pliers for cable ties. Much better tool for the job!
I only have so much room in my pockets, and don't always want to take an item to my tool room to cut a cable tie off, so I'm going to stick to pocket knives for 99% of my cable tie cutting.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Great job! Looks like an Endela now.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bustedaw11

Post by Bustedaw11 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:42 pm
Great job! Looks like an Endela now.
Thanks!