3D printed knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

3D printed knives?

Post by Doc Dan »

Now that Blackland is releasing the first ever 3D printed stainless steel razor https://www.blacklandrazors.com/products/era
it made me wonder at the future of 3D printing of knives and if Spyderco would produce such a knife. Is this something Spyderco would explore? What would be the up and down sides of this technology for Spyderco? I think eventually it would bring costs down, but would such a knife be as strong and durable as a knife made in the regular way?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
VooDooChild

Re: 3D printed knives?

Post by VooDooChild »

This one is pretty cool but also expensive.

https://victoryknives.co.nz/titanium-knife-and-sheath/
Screenshot_20220127-080825_Chrome.jpg
It says 3d manufacturing technology, so I have no idea if its actually printed or not but it looks cool.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I feel it will be the future of most manufacturing in the future, knives included.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s not something that I get too excited about. I like 3D printing for prototyping not so much for production.

Maybe a Chaparral could feature some 3d printed scales at some point but I have next to no interest in a fully 3d printed knife from Spyderco. (Unless it’s one of their prototypes ;), but that would likely go on display as a collector piece.)
-Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I don’t know much about SLS/DMLS. Does it work with any steel? Can you buy cutlery steel in powdered metal form and print a blade?

You’ll always have to post process the prints as they come out tough and also need to be heat treated.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

This could be the future and might be cheaper and easier (eventually) than cutting out blanks or other methods. It might be easier on grinding. Who knows? The technology might develop in unexpected ways and there is no telling the industry that will take it there. Perhaps Spyderco will make us a knife made this way? I don't know if all steels can be used in such a fashion, however.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Perhaps with time.

My understanding of 3D Printed objects is that they're still mostly kinda low-definition, so to speak. I'm sure it depends on the quality of your printer as well as the kind of material used.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I received some knife stands from a fellow forum member. They are fantastic, and 3D printing has come a long way in the last 10 years.

Printed knives are a novelty now, but once they get the materials science down it may be huge. I say give it another 10 years, and the best steels may be engineered for production in 3D printers. Metallurgy is a science. Scientists and engineers have to see it as a better way to make knives, and then we are off!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There is a company (Relativity Space) now printing rocket engines, not just parts like SpaceX, using 3d printing. Printing metals will be common practice sooner than we think.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I remember someone from VBN Components was a member here and talked about Vibenite 480. If the blades came off the printer just needed sharpened and the pivot reamed, it could be viable. Currently most things you see metal 3d printed are impossible to make using classical methods so blades likely wont see much advantage if any. There would still be finishing needed so I don't think it will ever be cheaper than laser cut or fine blanked blades.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

3F printed knives are probably the future indeed. In turn it should open up a boulevard for on-demand, customised Spyderco models :hugging-face
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:21 pm
I remember someone from VBN Components was a member here and talked about Vibenite 480. If the blades came off the printer just needed sharpened and the pivot reamed, it could be viable. Currently most things you see metal 3d printed are impossible to make using classical methods so blades likely wont see much advantage if any. There would still be finishing needed so I don't think it will ever be cheaper than laser cut or fine blanked blades.
It is something that will be the future for more and more things. It is possible, just a matter of cost and the market place. I hope they make a mule to test.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A knife could conceivably be printed using passes of different steels. There really is no end to what could be done, actually.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:27 am
I don’t know much about SLS/DMLS. Does it work with any steel? Can you buy cutlery steel in powdered metal form and print a blade?

You’ll always have to post process the prints as they come out tough and also need to be heat treated.
When I worked in the cold-heading industry we used to get all our steel for parts in wire form on big spools. We worked with a lot of different stainless steels and even some carbon steels. Not sure how heating the steel to the point at which the material will flow will effect the characteristics but that seems like that would be the most logical process for 3D printing metal using the FDM process. There's actually several companies making 3D printers with metal capability but I honestly haven't really taken the time to really look at how these machines work. I few months back I was spit balling career moves and I came across an ad for a position at Desktop Metal. Working for a company that does something I'm actually interested in (like Spyderco 😉 ) is my goal and I find this technology fascinating. I took a shot and threw my hat in the ring but only got a very nice rejection letter. You'll never know if you don't try though

A quick look at Desktop Metals smaller Studio machine it's basically FDM as I thought. Looks like they use a furnace to sinter the part which is a very similar process of annealing plastic FDM parts but at much higher temps of course. Getting the material close to melting point bonds the layers and creates a very strong part

https://www.desktopmetal.com/

Additive manufacturing is will increase dramatically in the future. I have zhyla to thank for getting me interested in it. I've learned a heck of a lot in the last few years and I've enjoyed every minute of it
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Danke

Post by Danke »

Probably not in my life but in my kid's there won't be as many trucks delivering goods. It'll just be raw material spools or slugs and store will have a couple huge printers. They'll order the print files from Spyderco and make your knife right there. Need a warranty replacement? Printed on site. Want an exclusive or older model; the same. No more panicked scramble to get one of two hundred blue PM2s.

It won't be quite Star Trek replicator yet but close. My kid took it in school and we've got a printer in the house.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

CGS is DMLS printing firearm suppressors out of grade 5 Ti now, with very intricate geometry.
CGS-Helios-700x268.png
The part still needs to be heat-treated however, so I doubt they'll ever be printed at the LGS.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

When I see a 3d printer with "Austenite", "Martinsite" and "Bainite" settings, I'll consider a printed blade.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:48 am
seems like that would be the most logical process for 3D printing metal using the FDM process.
Hmmm, really? FDM is inherently slow since the print time scales with the volume rather than Z height like the other processes. But being less messy (no dust) does have its advantages for home hobbyists. I gave my FDM printer away a couple years ago, it’s all SLA all the time for me now.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:55 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:48 am
seems like that would be the most logical process for 3D printing metal using the FDM process.
Hmmm, really? FDM is inherently slow since the print time scales with the volume rather than Z height like the other processes. But being less messy (no dust) does have its advantages for home hobbyists. I gave my FDM printer away a couple years ago, it’s all SLA all the time for me now.
Ok....I didn't really look around. Apparently there are SLA machines for metal. I guess I incorrectly assumed SLA couldn't be used because I thought SLA needed material that could be cured by light. I assume there's some other process they've adapted? The smaller "Studio" machine that Desk Top metal offer certainly appears to be FDM and it looks like they're getting great results to me but what do I know.

I've considered SLA but decided I didn't want to deal with resins due to the mess, odor, toxicity, price, lack of colors etc. I'm extremely happy with the results I'm getting with my FDM machines. I've never thought speed (or lack of) was a big deal. One of smaller machines has made literally thousands of parts one at a time. I could do multiples too but don't really need to. I'm about to set one machine up with Klipper which will allow me to dial up the speed substantially without any quality loss. They say 150mm/sec is pretty common. How fast are you running your SLA printer? Which one did you go with?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:43 am
When I see a 3d printer with "Austenite", "Martinsite" and "Bainite" settings, I'll consider a printed blade.
Beat me to it.

No doubt, however, that 3D printers will make short work of prototyping knives, which will in turn make collaborations a lot easier, what with data flying between computers and printers at opposite ends of the Internet.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”