Mini Manix. Manix 3. Or is it a Sage 6?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Mini Manix. Manix 3. Or is it a Sage 6?

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:35 pm
...(or better Chaparral) sized package would be awesome. I know in the past Sal has said there is a substantial engineering difficulty in packing the CBBL into a package that small, though.

Added to my post above:
Of course a CBBL is not suited for really thin knives, like the Chap is (but when it comes to making a knife really "thin", liner- and comp.lock also can´t compete with a backlock).
But just looking at length and height of the handle (not thickness) and the choil in the blade - kind of a "thick Chap" should be a decent platform for a "shrunken CBBL".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I can't be the only one thinking it should be called the Minix right?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Toucan wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 am
I can't be the only one thinking it should be called the Minix right?

I actually did not think (of) this myself, but now that you say it... I do. :beaming-face
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

Mini griptilian with spydiehole
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Any shorter behind the choil would make this a dedicated choil only grip design for me and would place it in direct competition with other smaller choil grip knives like a Sage, Chaparral, Caly 3, Native 5, Para 3, Dragonfly, probably a few I'm leaving out. As it is the space behind the choil is already cramped and on my Manix I've smoothed down the pinky point to give me more room. I think for those who really love the lock it may sell but there is a LOT of competition in this size range.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DOOMonkee

Post by DOOMonkee »

I would be really happy if they could resurrect the Q-Ball as a base, and redraw the lines around it. It had a ball-lock, G-10, deep carry wire clip, and a good choke up. Still one of my favorites, love the wharncliffe, and almost everything about it, except for the ball being painful. If they added a cage, jimping, dropped the leaf shape in, and use S30V/S45VN I'd poop my pants.
DOOMonkee

Post by DOOMonkee »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:04 pm
If you think about it the Q Ball would be a good baseline. Upgrade the lock and have two blade variations . MG2
In case my reply got posted before this, I was thinking the same thing and missed this comment! Exactly the same page.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear DOOMonkee:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'll second the Q-Ball idea. Great design hung up by a number of factors. G-10 from Seki was expensive, VG-10 at that price was a hard sell, lack of a 'caged' ball bearing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

The size and shape certainly suggest the sage & manix produced a modest back-lock offspring.