Ti Framelock with drop point blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vaugith

Re: Ti Framelock with drop point blade?

Post by Vaugith »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:29 am
Even a quick illustration is far better than a thousand words.
I am on board with this design. Really enjoying my Ti models lately and interested in adding more with sleek, elegant designs. I tried my hand at a sketch but it just looked like a nirvana and an Oz Roosevelt had a baby, too close to each I think. But design features I'm interested in are a washer pivot, full flat grind, contouring on the scales, possible milling?, and a spyderhole that's accessable from the reverse side. I was thinking when closed the hole could sit in a second choil in the way the Roosevelts does. I think the lockbar access cutout on the slysz models is a bit extreme...
cjk

Post by cjk »

What is the appeal of the Ti Framelock/Chris Reeve Integral lock?

Don't get me wrong, I do have and like knives which use this lock type, but it's certainly not my favorite locking mechanism. It is used on one of my favorite knives though. I'd actually prefer a titanium handled compression lock or mid back lock over the RIL.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm about compression locked out with Spyderco knives these days. Sooooooooo many models have it. I absolutely love my CRK's as well the newly acquired Military with RIL. It's just nice to have something a little different than usual we see here. G10/FRN with compression lock is so repetitive and boring. I'd be willing to spend some extra cash on a Spyderco that ups the anty!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Comp locks, RILs, back locks not your thing? Let's partition Spyderco for a titanium scaled bolt lock Sage! 🤯

Take my money!!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

cjk wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm
Minimalism, simple maintenance, no finger choregraphy to close the blade, looks fantastic, require high level of manufacturing...

I'm not saying it's the most practical design out there (it isn't), but I can understand the appeal. Nothing compare to that little "clac" you get from a TI framelock.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:28 pm
cjk wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm
Minimalism, simple maintenance, no finger choregraphy to close the blade, looks fantastic, require high level of manufacturing...

I'm not saying it's the most practical design out there (it isn't), but I can understand the appeal. Nothing compare to that little "clac" you get from a TI framelock.
The RIL in a lot of (maybe all?) cases gets much more difficult to open if you put pressure on the lock while trying to open it. That’s one level of finger choreography. You have to learn to avoid holding part of the handle so it will open. I’d disagree that closing a RIL knife doesn’t require finger choreography as well. Push the lock in with your thumb, push the blade towards your thumb until the detent ball is touching the blade, get the thumb out of the way of the business side of the blade and then move the same thumb to the spine to finish closing the blade. I know how to do the choreography with my eyes closed, but one does have to learn it.

I do agree that the clack from the closing of a Ti frame lock is a unique and appealing sound.