A knife designed by steelcity16 and Evil D

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kevinim82

A knife designed by steelcity16 and Evil D

Post by Kevinim82 »

So the story goes, Paraguy wanted to poll people to see if a knife designed by the forum could be created. Most at this idea were
1. Skeptical
2. Calling it dead on arrival
3. Optimistic/supportive

… there are a little less than 90 posts on Paraguay’s thread supporting 1, 2, or 3. Very few actually recommended anything. Someone wanted a really large “Military” in the theme of the Texas flag (Amen, you go buddy.)

steelcity16, Naperville, and Evil D are the only people who recommended anything constructively.

Evil D wanted a forum made knife Endura sized.

steelcity16 requested a Dodofly… I just made it my own. Dodofly in my opinion is a cool idea. Nod to you steelcity16.

If I drew another Dodofly, I would make the handles a little asymmetrical and shaped more for a grip and less for symmetry needed to Bali flip the thing.

A recurved Balisong with front serrations.

Please share your constructive thoughts. Would you buy one?
Attachments
BDE62D45-68DD-4CC1-88AB-9813165CCCDC.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Airlsee

Re: A knife designed by steelcity16 and Evil D

Post by Airlsee »

I think the minimum size was thrown out by Vivi and not Evil D, but either way...

Very interesting design! I don't own any balisongs though, and probably would not purchase.
So it goes.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

No, why include a Spyderco hole on a balisong ( butterfly )knife? It would be a bad flipper as well due to an asymetric blade. It is illegal in a lot of countries. Balisong's are normally good stabbers and your bladeprofile is ment for slashing. The blade does not fit the handles. The tip will break off when you hit the handle with it.
I like the artistic time and work you put in it and it beats shovelling snow from your roof but it needs a lot of finetuning. Keep up the good work. Just teasing you a bit. 😂
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:09 pm
So the story goes, Paraguy wanted to poll people to see if a knife designed by the forum could be created. Most at this idea were
1. Skeptical
2. Calling it dead on arrival
3. Optimistic/supportive

… there are a little less than 90 posts on Paraguay’s thread supporting 1, 2, or 3. Very few actually recommended anything. Someone wanted a really large “Military” in the theme of the Texas flag (Amen, you go buddy.)

steelcity16, Naperville, and Evil D are the only people who recommended anything constructively.

Evil D wanted a forum made knife Endura sized.

steelcity16 requested a Dodofly… I just made it my own. Dodofly in my opinion is a cool idea. Nod to you steelcity16.

If I drew another Dodofly, I would make the handles a little asymmetrical and shaped more for a grip and less for symmetry needed to Bali flip the thing.

A recurved Balisong with front serrations.

Please share your constructive thoughts. Would you buy one?

Wasn't his idea just a reverse-S blade in a Dragonfly handle?

Edit to add: That's a pretty cool-looking blade you drew up, though!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Sure its all good.

I just want to say looking at a "forum designed knife" thread by only the constructive comments still defeats the purpose of the original thread.

I guess Im just saying that even the non-constructive criticism was, in a sense, saying that you just cant make all the people happy all the time.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

That knife won’t work as drawn. Trace it on card stock and rotate the handles around. Then tell me you’ll carry it in your front pocket 🤣
yogibearal

Post by yogibearal »

Live in a state - can't buy/own/carry :) - Having serrated edge on a ballisong would be the first I've ever seen it. What is the primary purpose of such a blade on a ballisong? Wild? yes? practical? .....hmmmmm
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Jim Malone wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:24 pm
No, why include a Spyderco hole on a balisong ( butterfly )knife? It would be a bad flipper as well due to an asymetric blade. It is illegal in a lot of countries. Balisong's are normally good stabbers and your bladeprofile is ment for slashing. The blade does not fit the handles. The tip will break off when you hit the handle with it.
I like the artistic time and work you put in it and it beats shovelling snow from your roof but it needs a lot of finetuning. Keep up the good work. Just teasing you a bit. 😂
Good point the big round hole in this one has no function.

I am good with teasing. I like criticism it’s either motivating or not.

Here below is more the flavor of Balisong I was thinking of…
https://image.invaluable.com/housePhoto ... 311701.jpg

Also this one
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-DoubleDow ... 2840&psc=1

Yes illegal in many places; very exotic and rare that’s why it’s a Dodo.
Attachments
C834EB94-9017-4135-BEC2-E83C9F2FB077.jpeg
C834EB94-9017-4135-BEC2-E83C9F2FB077.jpeg (8.29 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:25 pm
That knife won’t work as drawn. Trace it on card stock and rotate the handles around. Then tell me you’ll carry it in your front pocket 🤣
It’s a first draft. Please wait for a cardboard photo-type, that’s when that kink gets discovered.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:47 pm
Sure its all good.

I just want to say looking at a "forum designed knife" thread by only the constructive comments still defeats the purpose of the original thread.

I guess Im just saying that even the non-constructive criticism was, in a sense, saying that you just cant make all the people happy all the time.
Good points about Paraguy’s attempt. I consider his post a good success (it got me thinking.)

Very true not all people will be happy all the time. I think a Dodo Balisong will make most unhappy all the time! 😂

MNOSD 0009
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, I thinks he wants a reverse s dragonfly.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:47 pm
It’s a first draft. Please wait for a cardboard photo-type, that’s when that kink gets discovered.
Well, no offense, but if you're at all serious about this knife design, that's a step you should do before asking anyone "would you buy one?" Because right now the answer is "no, that thing will cut my nuts off".

I think I've seen Spyderco say something to the effect that they don't produce designs that have been disclosed on the forum already. So that's something else to think of if you really mean to bring this to market.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

I'll always support people who tries their hands at designing knives. Cool initiative and the art is on point
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:06 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:47 pm
Well, no offense, but if you're at all serious about this knife design, that's a step you should do before asking anyone "would you buy one?" Because right now the answer is "no, that thing will cut my nuts off".

I think I've seen Spyderco say something to the effect that they don't produce designs that have been disclosed on the forum already. So that's something else to think of if you really mean to bring this to market.
Thanks for the critique. Good points. I suppose “my” point would be better, because you tell me it will have your nuts! 😜

The drafting is for me. If it guarantees my ideas will never be used that’s ok. I’ve blacksmithed a little. If my rabbit hole goes deep enough, I suppose I can make my own serrated recurve bali.

A Dodo bali probably would only fancy <1% here and the regular knife market definitely would pass for it.

I like the large useless Spydie hole for the off chance I am in the wild with a pack of hotdogs… have you ever skinned a hotdog with just the belly of a knife (that takes time!)

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Xformer wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:14 pm
I'll always support people who tries their hands at designing knives. Cool initiative and the art is on point
Thank you! I hope the journey is fun for everyone!

MNOSD 0009
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

No, because I’m just not into balisongs. However, I’m sure it would sell. The blade shape itself is very cool.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well, I was going to say this will be fun, but I have learned my lesson.

Kevin, you have some serious drawing skills. Good on you bud!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I love balisongs. I actually like the serrations on there. It's not something you usually see. However, I'm not a fan of reverse-s blades. This one seems to have a little more material at the tip than most though. Overall, I like it and I'd buy one. The design needs some fine tuning, but it shows some promising ideas.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:41 pm
Well, I was going to say this will be fun, but I have learned my lesson.

Kevin, you have some serious drawing skills. Good on you bud!
Thank you JSumm! Thank my mom for the art talent, “thank you mom”

**** what’s the forum for if not for fun. Forum and fun both start with an F, so there is a causation/relationship to both works… right?

I am here for the fun. Thank you Sal and team.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 pm
I love balisongs. I actually like the serrations on there. It's not something you usually see. However, I'm not a fan of reverse-s blades. This one seems to have a little more material at the tip than most though. Overall, I like it and I'd buy one. The design needs some fine tuning, but it shows some promising ideas.
Thank you for the encouragement! back to the drawing table!

MNOSD 0009