Is Ballistol safe to treat the blades of knives with phosphor bronze washers? (not as pivot lubricant)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stas

Re: Is Ballistol safe to treat the blades of knives with phosphor bronze washers? (not as pivot lubricant)

Post by Stas »

Jim Malone wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:08 am
1.jpgI use Ikea Skydd mineral oil. It's a high grade pure mineral oil. I use it to "hydro mod" my g-shock watches and this oil will not deteriorate. I also use it to treat my horn and stag handled knives. It's cheap and works as good as medical grade mineral oil.
Thank you! I also saw Skydd on the web, but IKEA doesn’t sell it anymore, at least in my country (Czechia).

Heard a good and not so good things about Ren wax. Seems like it works in museum humidity controlled environment much better.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Leksy

Re: Is Ballistol safe to treat the blades of knives with phosphor bronze washers? (not as pivot lubricant)

Post by Leksy »

Ballistol is awesome product, I use it as a short/mid-term coating for non-stainless blades (besides the gun-care), no problems at all. It is safe and smells great. I heard it can polymerise after a year or so, but have never seen that.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jim Malone wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:25 am
I also u renaissance wax to protect the blades from corrosion. I use a small brush to brush it on the blades and then after drying i polish the blade with soft polish cloth ( i use diaper cloth).
Renaissance wax ( Ren wax) is not cheap but a jar will last for years and won't deteriorate.
I've heard good about Renaissance Wax. I've had excellent results using the metal wax made by the FLITZ company>> who are the same company who makes FLITZ metal polish. Everyone of Flitz's products I've used are great. I will try Renaissance Wax at some point. But the metal wax that Flitz makes is excellent IMO.
Stas

Post by Stas »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:44 am
Jim Malone wrote:
I also u renaissance wax to protect the blades from corrosion. I use a small brush to brush it on the blades and then after drying i polish the blade with soft polish cloth ( i use diaper cloth).
Renaissance wax ( Ren wax) is not cheap but a jar will last for years and won't deteriorate.
I've heard good about Renaissance Wax. I've had excellent results using the metal wax made by the FLITZ company>> who are the same company who makes FLITZ metal polish. Everyone of Flitz's products I've used are great. I will try Renaissance Wax at some point. But the metal wax that Flitz makes is excellent IMO.
FLITZ Rifle,Gun & Knife Wax is an interesting stuff to try. Do you know it is food safe? I saw it is based on Brazilian Carnauba. Renaissance may be even superior as microcrystalline wax being refined out of crude oil.

But I remember this older thread on BF where most of the waxes / oils were tested and Ren wax performed quite badly. But I believe if you reapply it often it should work just great.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Maybe there is a better one out now. I haven't followed the latest research. Just something i have been using for years with , for me, good results. For me it also has to be found in Europe. I might look what other waxes are out there.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:16 am
Maybe there is a better one out now. I haven't followed the latest research. Just something i have been using for years with , for me, good results. For me it also has to be found in Europe. I might look what other waxes are out there.
Among the waxes Renaissance Wax is the best from what I see. I wanted to try it for a long long tile already. And to my understanding wax does not attract as much dust and dirt as oil does. And dust / dirt means more opportunity to rust appearance – please correct me if I'm wrong.

But in general, stuff like Barricade, Eezox, CorrosionX and Hornady One Shot are much better rust protection, from what I've seen (not personal experience). But none of them are food grade. Also heard a good things about Break Free Collector (not CLT!). But can't find it in EU.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stas wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:21 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:44 am
Jim Malone wrote:
FLITZ Rifle,Gun & Knife Wax is an interesting stuff to try. Do you know it is food safe? I saw it is based on Brazilian Carnauba. Renaissance may be even superior as microcrystalline wax being refined out of crude oil.

But I remember this older thread on BF where most of the waxes / oils were tested and Ren wax performed quite badly. But I believe if you reapply it often it should work just great.
Oh I'm most definitely going to try out Renaissance Wax and do a "side by side" comparison against the Flitz product. I'm always looking to improve. As far as the Flitz metal wax being food safe I'm just not sure about that one. However I've never heard of any wax having toxic properties.
Stas

Post by Stas »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:11 pm
Oh I'm most definitely going to try out Renaissance Wax and do a "side by side" comparison against the Flitz product. I'm always looking to improve.
This would be great! You’ll be first to compare them I think. Please share when you could.

I also tempted to try Ren wax. Do you use wax for storage mostly or for the EDC blades as well? I heard wax is great for storage but easily come off the blade with use and the oil is better for users in this regard.