"Scope the Edge" project

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

"Scope the Edge" project

Post by sal »

Hi All,

So I had this idea that I thought on which I would get your opinion. I had this thought some time ago about a "Mule team" concept and now it seems like there are a few that joined in the experience. it took time, patience and persistence, but from that project, we all get to learn. Steel performance, handle making, sharpening, modifications, etc.

I thought about getting a group together (no size planned) consisting of mostly "Edge Junky's", which we know are "nuts", that would be tasked to "study" something in particular and in 30, 60 days or whatever, "we"decide, shares what they've learned. With regards to "edges". They would work together, we would assist in their needs,
"scope the edges" and come to conclusions.

We know the "Edge is a Ghost" so these "Ghost hunters" would take on a project that we decide on the forum; "How much force does it take to......? What angle works best for....? What steels respond to a polished edge?, or a Vivi edge? etc. I think it would be fun to develop the "knowledge" we want to learn. Spyderco would participate with what we can, all in the interest of Edge-U-Cation.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this? We would essentially make you part of our R&D team to learn things about edges that we all want to know?

sal
Deadboxhero

Re: "Scope the Edge" project

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sounds Fun Sal.
sal wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:45 pm
Hi All,

So I had this idea that I thought on which I would get your opinion. I had this thought some time ago about a "Mule team" concept and now it seems like there are a few that joined in the experience. it took time, patience and persistence, but from that project, we all get to learn. Steel performance, handle making, sharpening, modifications, etc.

I thought about getting a group together (no size planned) consisting of mostly "Edge Junky's", which we know are "nuts", that would be tasked to "study" something in particular and in 30, 60 days or whatever, "we"decide, shares what they've learned. With regards to "edges". They would work together, we would assist in their needs,
"scope the edges" and come to conclusions.

We know the "Edge is a Ghost" so these "Ghost hunters" would take on a project that we decide on the forum; "How much force does it take to......? What angle works best for....? What steels respond to a polished edge?, or a Vivi edge? etc. I think it would be fun to develop the "knowledge" we want to learn. Spyderco would participate with what we can, all in the interest of Edge-U-Cation.

I would be interested in your thoughts on this? We would essentially make you part of our R&D team to learn things about edges that we all want to know?

sal
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I think it sounds like a great idea, a fun way to spark engagement and collaboratively gather data to questions that usually remain theoretical.
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

If my skills were up to snuff, I’d be in.

As is, I look forward to reading about the project’s results.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'll follow and try to do everything that the team publishes. I'm a total newb as far as sharpening goes, but I'm very interested.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I’m looking forward to seeing where this goes.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd love to participate. I've got jewlers loupes, angle cubes, a Sharpmaker, KME, Wicked Edge, and several different strops. With Diamond abrasives for them ranging from 50 grit to 3000. I know Im no where near BBB and some others peoples level, but it might add some value to have someone to represent a more average skillset.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Soanso McMasters

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 am
I'd love to participate. I've got jewlers loupes, angle cubes, a Sharpmaker, KME, Wicked Edge, and several different strops. With Diamond abrasives for them ranging from 50 grit to 3000. I know Im no where near BBB and some others peoples level, but it might add some value to have someone to represent a more average skillset.
That’s the boat I’m in. I have the equipment, but I’m no expert. At any rate, I’d love to see some data on the impact of micro bevels.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Sounds like a great idea. I don't think I have the "chops" (or time right now) to participate, but I do like the idea. The edge is the next frontier (for me at least).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Interesting idea. I’ll be following along for more information.
-Nick :bug-red
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

The metal muskateer club sounds fun. Count me in.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:09 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 am
That’s the boat I’m in. I have the equipment, but I’m no expert. At any rate, I’d love to see some data on the impact of micro bevels.
I'm sure there's a lot of us in this boat. I've got the equipment, just about every steel Spyderco makes a blade in, the desire, and my skills are better than average in any crowd except this one 🤣

I'd be happy to volunteer my time and what I've got to the cause.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Soanso McMasters

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:33 am
The metal muskateer club sounds fun. Count me in.
I think Sal’s “Ghost Hunters” is a great name.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:45 pm
"How much force does it take to......? What angle works best for....? What steels respond to a polished edge?, or a Vivi edge? etc. I think it would be fun to develop the "knowledge" we want to learn. .....

My own skills and experiences are way to low for even thinking about participating myself, but this would be great to follow and certainly become a valuable source of information - and/or a source where information and things to learn and try out are bundled.

Since the "Vivi edge" was mentioned: This actually is one example for something I probably would not have tried out without Vivis posts about it on this forum, and it works great for me (I do the "simplified" version, by only using the Sharpmaker CBN rods with no more progression).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

If you check other folk's edges without them knowing, you could be 'Ghost Hunters on the Sly"... :)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If it's something I can contribute to, count me in.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'll be following this with great interest!! I won't join the troops - I'd just be a liability. But it's another great development, another great chance to learn from the best!! :trophy
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

As an amateur "ghost chaser" for many years, I have a keen interest in this project.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure what I have to offer here. It'll definitely be great for discussion and sharing of knowledge.

Am I right in assuming that this should work hand in hand with the mules themselves? Seems like you'd want everyone working on the same knife/steel/etc if we're to compare and share notes, otherwise there will be so many variables the whole discussion will ultimately just come down to proper sharpening techniques.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

That's interesting. Following the thread.