Bushcrafting Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
burlyspyder

Bushcrafting Spyderco?

Post by burlyspyder »

I'd love to see a bushcraft Spydie in a newer steel. I am really liking MagnaCut so far in the mule, seems like it would be a good option. Or maybe Cruwear, given properties. I will likely use the MT35 mule for this purpose this year, I am just a little concerned with the blade being so thin.

Would anyone else be interested in a newer bushcraft?

-burly
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
kennethsime

Re: Bushcrafting Spyderco?

Post by kennethsime »

There was some talk awhile back about a crucarta proficient, but I think many folks had sticker shock.

I’d love to see it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had the first one in O-1 steel but after I got it did not care for the smooth handles . Beautiful knife and had no problem with the steel .Its been sitting in a drawer unused ever since , I would buy it back in a heart beat to give it another shot. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Also interested in this - perhaps something with a saber or hollow grind. I was batoning my mule though a 2" stick to do some carving and wishing the spine were a little thicker toward the tip.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm pretty happy with the Proficient in this role. I'm not sure I'd cough up for another variant unless I was planning a lot of bush crafting in a season. Magnacut might draw me in, but Cruwear probably would not. I already own the Bushcraft (O-1), Proficient (s90v) and Zoomer (20cv) all of which are excellent knives from Spyderco, and all of which are well suited to bushcraft.

If I could have a new Bushcraft variant it would be a re-run of the spalted maple burl handles, which I missed out on. Do that handle on the Proficient in Magnacut (or even the original s90v) and I'd be coughing up for multiples.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

cholla_remover wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:01 am
Also interested in this - perhaps something with a saber or hollow grind. I was batoning my mule though a 2" stick to do some carving and wishing the spine were a little thicker toward the tip.

A hollow grind would be the least ideal grind for this application, you might be meaning a convex grind.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
sal

Post by sal »

I have new design by Chris Claycomb. He also sent me an improved design of the proficient. Both beautiful pieces.

sal
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Sal that's great!
nerdlock wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:07 pm
cholla_remover wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:01 am

A hollow grind would be the least ideal grind for this application, you might be meaning a convex grind.

For batoning, I made a direct comparison between the MT35 mule and a Cold Steel SRK, which is hollow ground and a lot better at the job of splitting sticks. (Though to be fair, it has 5mm blade stock.) My experience thus far is that full flat is worse at batoning and hollow grind doesn't suffer greatly at feathersticking or other carving jobs. Perhaps I'd feel differently with a flat ground knife that was 5mm thick at the spine. I'd be just as interested in a convex Spyderco bushcraft blade, though, as you say!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I s’pose like many things “Bushcraft” is subjective.

To me it means primarily cutting/whittling wood so I think true zero Scandinavian grind. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:44 pm
I have new design by Chris Claycomb. He also sent me an improved design of the proficient. Both beautiful pieces.

sal
I’d be very excited to see those, Sal.

The more fixed blades I use, the more I like a blade about 4”, 1/8” thick, with handles that are as neutral as possible while still offering good control. The proficient certainly looks to be very close to that, and sure looks good in a tougher steel like 3V, Cruwear, or Magnacut.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Spyderco fixed blades = Happiness for me
They’re just so good and cool
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Looks like Sal has figured out another way to take my money. Very interested in the new design.
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

sal wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:44 pm

sal
Awesome, Sal is on top of it, per usual.

Looking forward to these options, I like both of these formats. The O-1 Claycomb is closest to what I was thinking, but both are getting hard to find reasonably priced. Makes me want both for the campsite; the Claycomb (presumably scandi) for harder tasks, and the proficient for finer jobs and food prep.

-burly
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
C_Claycomb

Post by C_Claycomb »

Threads are always more fun with pictures....but since we cannot show pictures of the knives I sent to Sal, I thought I would share this one.
ImageO1_and_Welsh_Ash by Last Scratch, on Flickr
A chap I know here in the UK who has bought quite a few knives from me over the years contacted me last summer about replacing the G10 on his Spyderco BushcraftUK :astonished with some stabilised ash from near his childhood home. I don't generally take commissions, but I was working on some other blades and one more wasn't going to hurt so on a whim I told him I would make him a new knife. Better that than leave him contemplating doing something unspeakable to his beautiful G10! :grin-smiling-eyes. What really sealed the deal was he wanted to make his own sheath...which meant I wouldn't have to do any leather work! There where four or five knives ahead of his in the queue so he didn't get his till a few weeks ago, but he sounds very happy, particularly with the lighter weight, 150g compared to the 220g of the G10 version.

Chris
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for chiming in Chris.

I've been really enjoying the new models, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to send them to Eric to move it along. I spoke with Eric regarding our conversation on manufacturing location. I'll keep you in the loop in my discussions with him.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sal,

I’d really love to see a bushcraft with the exact same handle but a 2.5 inch blade, and I don’t even care what grind. I take care of most my needs with a hatchet and would love a compact workhorse. Something in a tough steel and easy to sharpen would be great, 52100, AEB-L or Cruwear.

Thanks

Dane
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I have a Zoomer which is the 20CV in a Hamaguri (convex) grind that’s outstanding!
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

C_Claycomb wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:48 pm
Chris
That knife looks like an outstanding knife for the woods.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dane,

Chris' smaller model is a 3.5" blade. I think it's a good all around size. I think that a 2.5" blade market might be too small to sustain a production version. We ended up lengthening the "Enuff" model due to the limited need for such a small fixed blade model. The serrated H1 version does OK, but that's pretty specialized.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 pm
Hi Dane,

Chris' smaller model is a 3.5" blade. I think it's a good all around size. I think that a 2.5" blade market might be too small to sustain a production version. We ended up lengthening the "Enuff" model due to the limited need for such a small fixed blade model. The serrated H1 version does OK, but that's pretty specialized.

sal

Thanks Sal! I’ll buy whatever you put out in this line, and little shorter is better in my book!

Dane
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”