A knife designed by the forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you enjoy designing a knife in collaborating with this whole forum?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 102

VooDooChild

Re: A knife designed by the forum

Post by VooDooChild »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:44 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:42 am
It just needs to be a titanium-g10-frn serrated-plain edge with a sheepsfoot style clip point and 3 different locks.
See, it will not be that hard. And it's fun. :rofl
I like where his head's at. Sal...let's see whatcha got buddy!! :beaming-face
The point of the thread is not to pick materials and let Spyderco design the knife. Without a single poll, we all know that would just end up being a Magnacut, micarta, backlock…

The OP is not trying to “pick a model” and redesign it. The intention is to design a knife from scratch, with collective input from the forum.

The OP’s intention is for a forum design not a forum knife of an existing model.
Which is what the joke was. A ground up knife designed by the forum will either be a compromise or a trainwreck.

It could be ok...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:09 am
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:00 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:44 am

See, it will not be that hard. And it's fun. :rofl
I like where his head's at. Sal...let's see whatcha got buddy!! :beaming-face
The point of the thread is not to pick materials and let Spyderco design the knife. Without a single poll, we all know that would just end up being a Magnacut, micarta, backlock…

The OP is not trying to “pick a model” and redesign it. The intention is to design a knife from scratch, with collective input from the forum.

The OP’s intention is for a forum design not a forum knife of an existing model.
Which is what the joke was. A ground up knife designed by the forum will either be a compromise or a trainwreck.

It could be ok...
Yep, I understood the joke.

My response was to the insinuation that Sal would be the one designing the knife behind closed doors.

The OP wants to collectively design the knife. I’m in full agreement that it will end up being a compromise for most people who decide to contribute their input. Also, it has a high likelihood to turn into a trainwreck because of so many different opinions and ideas clashing at once.

I had this exact same idea as the OP but didn’t do it for that last point alone. I didn’t feel like dealing with that stress of coordinating it all. Now that I don’t have to deal with all that, I’m happy to contribute what I can.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just wanted to see what Sal would put out, based on the wild idea that VooDoo said. 3 different locks would be a spectacle to behold!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
shb64

Post by shb64 »

I personally would like to see a 3/4 scale Shaman, essentially a Native with a compression lock.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Design by committee? Think camel, not horse.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 am
Cool idea, but it would never work. WAAAAAAYYY too many different opinions, likes and dislikes among everyone here.
I feel your heart is in the right place , but I don’t see how it could go forward in a constructive way . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote: I just wanted to see what Sal would put out, based on the wild idea that VooDoo said. 3 different locks would be a spectacle to behold!
LOL yeah it’s definitely a crazy concept.

One lock to keep it closed and two locks to keep it open.

A slipjoint spring to help with self close, plus a liner lock and compression lock that need simultaneous actuation to unlock/close the blade.

(Just a quick 30 second brainstorm. It actually doesn’t sound too impossible now that I think of it.)
JRinFL wrote:Design by committee? Think camel, not horse.
I think voodoochild also said something along those lines - “a camel is a horse designed by committee” I had never heard that saying and was cracking up laughing when I saw it this morning. :rofl
-Nick :bug-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This would probably require multiple polls, just to get an idea narrowed down to even get something started. Steel used, blade shape, blade length and thickness, lock type, handle design, handle materials, liners/no liners and I'm sure other things that didn't come right to mind.

It would be a heck of a lot of work, and even if it didn't become anything, it would be fun to see what we would come up with. Many skilled people around here with coming up with their own designs or tweaks of previous designs. I'd jump on board and participate if this idea gained any steam, even if it is just for fun.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 am
TkoK83Spy wrote: I just wanted to see what Sal would put out, based on the wild idea that VooDoo said. 3 different locks would be a spectacle to behold!
LOL yeah it’s definitely a crazy concept.

One lock to keep it closed and two locks to keep it open.

A slipjoint spring to help with self close, plus a liner lock and compression lock that need simultaneous actuation to unlock/close the blade.

(Just a quick 30 second brainstorm. It actually doesn’t sound too impossible now that I think of it.)

JRinFL wrote:Design by committee? Think camel, not horse.
I think voodoochild also said something along those lines - “a camel is a horse designed by committee” I had never heard that saying and was cracking up laughing when I saw it this morning. :rofl
Oops, I missed that.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I just signed in after a year or so, voted, and then read the thread to find out that old timers pretty much all voted the same. I don't think that's a coincidence.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

^As a knife designer yourself, shouldn't you be encouraging people to submit their designs to spyderco directly instead of whatever this method is? So the designer can get full credit?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 am
I think this is a really cool idea, and most importantly fun.
I take it back. No longer fun.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 am
Cool idea, but it would never work. WAAAAAAYYY too many different opinions, likes and dislikes among everyone here.
My thoughts exactly. I don't think we could even come to an agreement on size. I'd want a folder to be no smaller than an Endura, and that's already larger than a lot of forum members prefer to carry. Then on top of that a portion of members ok with that size live in areas with laws that would restrict them from carrying it.
:unicorn
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’ve got a few of my own made up designs ready!
:bug-red-white
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Just look up some of the Forum Knife threads. Those will give you a pretty good idea of how something like this would go
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:12 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 am
I think this is a really cool idea, and most importantly fun.
I take it back. No longer fun.
:rofl i'm sorry to laugh, but i was wondering how long that would last.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Good designs are the result of a singular vision, not an aimless committee. Like a smooth river stone, this design will be worn down into a nondescript oval shape by myriad dissenting opinions. What you'll end up with is a Civivi Elementum with a spydie hole.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 am
I'll be the party pooper and vote no. I wouldn't stand in the way but I'm outnumbered by a lot of people who favor things I don't really care for, so I would definitely watch but I guess I'd be skeptical. Prove me wrong I guess.
precisely. it would be awesome if it could work, but there are too many people to try and make happy. i think we'd end up with a black squeak, which already exists.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:50 am
I briefly mentioned this on another thread and several people said to make a post about it - so here we are. Now I realize this is a crazy idea and it would be really hard to achieve something worth making, but if we used a series of polls and stuck to basic handle designs by Spyderco, with some slight tweaks, it could work. I think that even if it doesn't get made it would be very interesting to see what we could come up with collectively.
I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

My plan of attack would be to use a series of polls like this. It would slowly become more specific in effect eliminating too much quarreling and allowing for a common goal. In order for this to work, we need to agree on the purpose of the knife.

poll ideas:
basic use e.g hunting, fishing, edc, bushcraft, etc.
Fixed blade or folder
size
basic handle shape
lock type
basic blade shape
grind
blade material
handle material
sheath
Final: Does this knife have a use and purpose in the Spyderco line? Is this knife a good design?
Quick question, is your degree in cat herding a Masters or a Ph.D.?

Good luck, have fun, pardon me if I sit this out.