A knife designed by the forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you enjoy designing a knife in collaborating with this whole forum?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 102

bearfacedkiller

Re: A knife designed by the forum

Post by bearfacedkiller »

10 inch Bowie style chopper in CPM 1V with 3/16 blade stock, a high saber grind and a weight just over a pound.

The Darn Dao looked great but I want something more utilitarian. Spyderco covers most my needs but I still want a bushcraft chopper.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:28 pm
10 inch Bowie style chopper in CPM 1V with 3/16 blade stock, a high saber grind and a weight just over a pound.

The Darn Dao looked great but I want something more utilitarian. Spyderco covers most my needs but I still want a bushcraft chopper.
Sometime this week I’ll dream it up. How would this be different from the Respect as far as form?

Would you want the Cadillac of scales or Kia?
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:41 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Sometime this week I’ll dream it up. How would this be different from the Respect as far as form?

More like a bigger Province. Smaller clip on the point to move weight more forward, less aggressive swedge for batonning, longer blade, more secure handle for full power swinging and maybe a slight negative blade angle.

Combining qualities from the BK9, Junglas and Province.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:06 pm
What's going on here? Did you just pawn this off on the new nurse? It's okay to just walk away from the idea...as Mr. O'Leary would say, "Take it behind the barn and shoot it.".
I don't wanna shoot it... Maybe I'll sit on it till I have more time...
"Some call me...Tim?"
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:23 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:41 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

More like a bigger Province. Smaller clip on the point to move weight more forward, less aggressive swedge for batonning, longer blade, more secure handle for full power swinging and maybe a slight negative blade angle.

Combining qualities from the BK9, Junglas and Province.
My first thought, I wonder if my wife’s blender will fit all three choppers inside? That’s the easiest way to combine knife properties right? That’s how Triple B does it. Gas Station knife + empty Belgium beer can + blender = super steel in a crazy grind!

In all seriousness sounds like a fun knife idea. Challenge accepted.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Designed by the forum? I wince at the thought. The “collaboration” would give new meaning to a FrankenSpydie.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
benben

Post by benben »

This will definitely gets some crunched up faces, what about a pair of high quality, tough, Spyderco branded scissors? Not for paper cutting school projects, those years are just about over for me. I’m talking about scissors for in the kitchen, and in the garage, and if you need to go prune something, these are the scissors you take! So let’s hear it…..what a stupid idea, I can take it!

Or….Stretch with a leaf shaped blade (think Manix or Native) with the Spyder crews choice of steel, scales, and scale color?

Hit submit or delete…. :thinking
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Naysayers or pragmatists?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:37 pm
You can’t have your cake and eat it too. I looked at a lot of marlin spikes. I really like the blood grove ornamentation I discovered in a few examples. I am also a big fan of the tri angled blade found in an epee (lots of strength in a blade like that.) Problem; epee blade won’t fold into a pocket.

Amalgam blade is leaf shaped. To give strength and ergonomics of cutting I can’t see making this blade leaf shaped. I don’t see the spike having as much function and the blade having as much function with the leaf shape. Wharncliffe happened kinda naturally while drafting.

So it’s not quite a marlin spike, and it’s more a knife blade with a mean thrusting portion.

I think for a thrusting weapon a not super high flat grind would give more strength too.

Hope this is a good start. Tell me how I can adapt it.
It's not bad. It's a different idea to have a chisel grind. I think my idea was more unobtanium. Your idea works and can be manufactured.

I'd straighten the curve of the blade a bit more, and have the chisel tip out at least 1/2 an inch from where the cutting edge begins. You can remove 20% of the "bladed area" once you straighten it the top and add the 1/2 of tip on.

But overall not too bad.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’m off to herd the neighbourhood cats into a small ruly mob.

It’s bound to be easier than us, as a group deciding on a knife we’d all like. :winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm pretty sure the cat herder has already taken a sabbatical. :grin-smiling-eyes
So it goes.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 am
I'm pretty sure the cat herder has already taken a sabbatical. :grin-smiling-eyes
LOL!

“Here’s this idea that I have… someone else should do the extensive amount of work required for it though.”

Creating a thread like this comes with the responsibility of coordinating the whole thing.
-Nick :bug-red
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:38 am
Airlsee wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 am
LOL!

“Here’s this idea that I have… someone else should do the extensive amount of work required for it though.”

Creating a thread like this comes with the responsibility of coordinating the whole thing.
You make a valid point. Although my reason for making this thread was to get someone with more time and organizational skills to make another thread. :squinting-tongue Yes I know, I'm a terrible cat herder.
"Some call me...Tim?"
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Instead of a new design, we could start we the "polls of death" to get to know which forum knife we want for the year 2025 ☠️
MNOSD member 0011
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:26 pm
Instead of a new design, we could start we the "polls of death" to get to know which forum knife we want for the year 2025 ☠️
"...but who will bell the cat?..."
"Some call me...Tim?"
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I recall the Superhawk was basically designed by the forum. Splendid knife that didn’t land as well in the market :(
Danke

Post by Danke »

I heard the Stovepipe was something something forum.