Hawkbill utility

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Re: Hawkbill utility

Post by olywa »

I'm briefly resurrecting this old thread to thank all of you who responded. I started out with the little Ladyhawk, then I was able to find one of the newer Dragonfly Salt SE Hawkbills with all black hardware and a little later I found a Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill. I've enjoyed them all.

The little Ladyhawk punches way above its' weight and it spends equal time in my jeans 5th pocket as my all-black Manbug Wharnie. The Dragonfly Salt SE Hawkbill is clipless with a short lanyard and it shares equal carry time as my Dragonfly K390 Wharnie.

The diamond-in-the-rough has been the Byrd. This was my first Byrd and it is without a doubt my favorite Hawkbill so far. I really want to thank those of you who advised me not to overlook this one. Fit and finish is a little rough with the backspacer sitting proud of the scales. The blade tang sits about 1/16" below the lockbar with the blade open as well. Kinda surprised that wasn't a flush fit. The FRN is nice and grippy but the blade is just outstanding. The serration pattern just works incredibly well and I prefer it to the pattern on the SE Salts I own (Dfly Leaf and HB, Salt 1&2, Pac Salt 1). I am able to sharpen it better with less effort and I've gained a little new respect for 8CR. I carry the Byrd quite a lot these days.

My next Hawkbill is going to be the Black Tasman Salt PE. I'm going to put a coarse 220 or 300 grit edge on it and see how that works out. Thanks again for the knowledge share everybody, it is greatly appreciated.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Hawkbill utility

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Always glad to have more people on team hawkbill!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal