Wharncliffe benefits

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

Re: Wharncliffe benefits

Post by sethwm »

Got a k390 dfly and delica on the way. Super excited.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

So I got my wharnies. hardly used the delica, but this dragonfly has been insanely awesome. Just been opening boxes and whatnot, but the control/precision is just amazing. And of course it's k390 which is my favorite steel. Which is funny because I _never_ thought I'd ever own a non-stainless knife let alone love it.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Wharnie's can be addicting.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:47 pm
Wharnie's can be addicting.

Tell me about it. I've been carrying my Wharnie Delica almost non-stop since I got it. The next three Spydies on my list are the VG-10 and K390 Wharnie Delicas and the Wharnie Endela. I have the Wharnie Dfly and Wharnie Manbug now as well and they are also fantastic little blades.

I definitely am preferring the Wharnie shape in the three models I have due to the more useful tip and angles it can cut with. I'm interested to see if the Wharnie Endela can surpass my all time favorite Spyderco in the standard Endela. If that goes well I'll probably buy a Wharnie Endura after that

Tldr: They are my preferred shape on the Delica and smaller knives and TBD on the Endela/Endura
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

There's something elegant to me about the Wharnie Delica. More so than some of the other designs. But I have small hands so the Endura Wharnie doesn't speak to me. The Rock Jumper is as big as I'll go with a wharnie I think (great design). I'll have to get a D'fly next I think. Wish it came in 20CV.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sethwm wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 pm
Looking to get my millionth (or thereabouts) dragonfly. K390. I have other knives in the steel but am debating between a whale cliffs v normal edge.

Is the wharncliffe easier to sharpen? What are the other benefits people see. This is an edc. I don’t hunt. Just cardboard and plastic ties.

I also sharpen with a kme but a wharncliffe seems like a good shape to start on a stone (though k390 might be the wrong choice)
They're easier to sharpen and work better for most utility work. Aside from cutting things on a flat surface they work better for my uses than blades with belly. Materials are less likely to slip off the tip end. They're really nice for small knives for that reason.

Big fan of the yojumbo and ronin 2 blades. The spin is pretty handy too.
:unicorn