What’s wrong with the Spyderco app

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jweddle2

What’s wrong with the Spyderco app

Post by Jweddle2 »

Just missed my second release because of this app, notifications come out two days after release. Anybody else having this problem.
Michael Janich

Re: What’s wrong with the Spyderco app

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Jweddle2:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It is delayed for sure. Your best bet if you are on social media to follow the dealers of your liking. However, I will see a new exclusive on Instagram and come over here to the forum and see a thread and a post on the exclusives thread. The forum is probably the best place to catch them in time.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
phaust

Post by phaust »

Pretty sure they've come at least the same day for me.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sorry, I should clarify. By delayed I meant after social media and after the forum. I typically get app notifications the day of or a day or to before the drop.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Occasionally you have to kill the app and reopened it. It seems to get stuck in a non-updating state at time and needs to be killed and reopened.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

I've never actually gotten a notification from the app. I see the exclusives on the front page if I open it but the notification center is totally blank. I'm on iOS, don't know if that matters.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Spyderco App has been very inefficient in my experience. (iPhone) I get zero value from the app, unfortunately. I only keep it on my phone because it’s a Spyderco “product.”
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I deleted the app a long time ago. It wasn’t great and I try to keep my phone lean. The less apps the better anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think Spyderco needs to CQI this app’s functionality, at least on the iPhone.

My iPhone experience with it is worse than “Meh!”
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I didn't have high hopes for the app, and never downloaded it. I've not had good experiences with apps from non-tech companies (or large corporations). (Android)

This forum and IG are the only ways I stay informed about upcoming releases and haven't been surprised by a missed drop in a very long time.
So it goes.
phaust

Post by phaust »

I've been impressed by the app but mostly because Spyderco has never been good with tech. Remember when the exclusives page was made on the website and announced, had literally only one or two put on there, and then wasn't touched for like years? Then for awhile Facebook would get announcements and not here or other Spyderco forums.

The most consistent source of on time info is checking the forum for sure, thanks to all the nice members here. That the app gets announcements out the same day is pretty good given history and even current state of listings on the website.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The app seems to work pretty well for me on my Android phone. I don't pay much attention to the notifications because I'm well aware of them but I know I've received the notifications of at least the last few exclusives a couple days before they actually dropped.

I also have the app on my Apple work phone. I'd don't get any notifications from the app on the iPhone. I just checked to make sure that notifications are set to on and they are. I don't even see mention of the recent exclusives. The latest one in that list was the white FRN DLC exclusive from GP Knives. I have no idea why it's not updating
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Some of us aren’t on social media so the app was nice in theory. For a little while it looked like Facebook/Instagram was gonna be the future for staying up to date but thankfully this forum stays up to date thanks to it’s great members.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
araneae

Post by araneae »

The app is a real fail for me. I get at best sporadic notifications about releases, probably about 20% or less. An area that I think Spyderco consistently drops the ball on is their social media presence and the app. Both are key marketing tools that are well behind many other knife makers.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I'm not on social media so the app seemed like a good idea for notifications, but after reading this as an Apple user, I wont bother.
Most apps are data mining your info for profits, so caveat emptor.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The App is pretty useless. On the iPhone you don’t get notifications. Sometimes you have to open/close/open the app to get the latest post. Sometimes a new model or exclusive is never posted. Sometimes a new exclusive is posted after it already goes on sale.

Personally, I’d prefer getting an email a few days before new models or exclusives go on sale.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Same problem as everyone else on my iPhone. The app has probably only sent me a handful of notifications and none were anything but late.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yea, I don't get notifications from the app at all. Seems pretty useless.

If there is a model I'm excited about, I sign up to be notified by a few of my favorite vendors - I can usually get my hands on one that way.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Matus

Post by Matus »

The app seem to be a bit of a one-off thing. Spyderco had something programmed & released, but I am no sure whether the all is being continuously worked on to keep improving it. Also the question is - how is the content is fed into the app - most likely that is not a fully automated process.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...