2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: 2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Post by Cl1ff »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 am
I love this, even if i cant stop imagining a Breeden Rescue dipped in robot sauce. I will sell knives to fund this if only to support the absence of a lanyard hole. Thank [insert faith] that the clip is straight down the handle, i lose sleep over the skewed clips that cowtow to lanyard gapes.
You know, last night I was contemplating how to describe this knife in a word or two. I came to the conclusion of “industrial”, but “dipped in robot sauce” is far better!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:19 pm
Cheddarnut wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 am
I love this, even if i cant stop imagining a Breeden Rescue dipped in robot sauce. I will sell knives to fund this if only to support the absence of a lanyard hole. Thank [insert faith] that the clip is straight down the handle, i lose sleep over the skewed clips that cowtow to lanyard gapes.
You know, last night I was contemplating how to describe this knife in a word or two. I came to the conclusion of “industrial”, but “dipped in robot sauce” is far better!
Haha! Well, lets say it’s industrial robot sauce and call it even (not really a fan of grass roots robot sauce anyways)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My initial reaction when I saw the reveal was... No.

But now that I've seen a few more pictures and the subtle details like the contoured Ti handles, how clean the construction is, no extraneous holes, just pivot screw, handle screw, pocket clip. And the while the butcher blade shape on a small pocket knife has more aesthetic value than function, I really like the gind on it. Looks good, thick up top with some nice swedges, and a nice 20CV straight edge with enough of a point for opening stuff.

It's growing on me.

Like the Damasteel Urban, this seems priced appropriately for what you're getting, but at that price it will have to be on my wish list for now.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Hmmmm, doesn't appeal to me. I don't understand the whole cleaver bladeshape in a lightweight pocket knife. Too low blade mass and lenght to use as a cleaver in say the kitchen and an abscence of a point. But maybe others will be thrilled.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would think an XL version would be quite popular.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I wish more knives would be like this where the whole blade is an edge and not ending at a junction of a sharpening choil or the full stock thickness like most kitchen knives. Nothing to get in the way of cutting. This is screaming for a 4” blade version.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Matus

Post by Matus »

... I would dare to think that kitchen use was NOT on the list when designing the Stovepipe ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

Interesting that even the description does not hint the intent behind the design! Which makes me feel that this folder is designed for the cleaver look and the rest is up to the beholder.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yea the purpose of this knife is definitely to look cool. But that straight edge and slight point are functional enough as a pocket knife. Other than easily stab something what can't it do?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think it looks cool but it definitely isn’t my style.

What’s it for? Cutting stuff and looking cool. Some will be users and many will be collectibles.

I do think it is interesting that they call it a no-nonsense folder with a unique flair. I wouldn’t choose the word nonsense to describe it but it obviously isn’t a high performance utilitarian cutting tool. It’s a quirky knife that would serve well for most folks for edc.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

David got back to me on Instagram. He said the lockface is carbidized as in his customs. No steel interface on the Stovepipe.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I asked via the comments on his Instagram too and never heard back. If it did have a steel lock bar insert, I couldn’t think of any reason to hide that fact. The silence on the matter from him and Spyderco lead me to believe it did not have one. Thanks for the confirmation.
-Nick :bug-red
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

So, as I suspected from the silence, it doesn't...

Is not that the lock would not function and fail but in this day and age I don't see why you would not add one, especially at this price point, how much would it cost and does it really matter 450 instead of 420.

Sebenza moved to ceramic ball, Hinderer added steel inserts.

With Spyderco it's always a hit and miss, again they probably felt that it doesn't need one, this is one of the problems with Spyderco, they feel to much...

There was a phrase I heard on youtube from some guy that is known in the industry and was somehow retired by his wife: just do the da#mn thing right or don't do it at all !
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

My initial impression is that I agree that it seems like a miss on something this pricey. It’s not that the carbidized ti can’t be smooth-releasing, it’s just that my recent Taichung framelocks with that treatment have been pretty unpleasant to unlock. The Swayback was so nice to unlock (I’ve since sold it and both of the ‘Chefs that I had).

I hope the reviews come in and it’s great. But I won’t be first in line now, unfortunately.

My Taichung-made BHQ Sage with M4 is the best-functioning comp lock I own. Others from Taichung and the US are hit or miss. Crucarta PM2—crunch city. Every Lil Native I’ve had = smooth. Para 3s—about 50/50.
phaust

Post by phaust »

I love the design, open anyway. The Kingdom Armory style of bringing your hand to the edge without using some of the blade for choil always is a winner in my book. I like the move to an oversized pivot as well, assuming they mean more than just the head. And it's nice to see Taichung not having drill holes at each corner of the lock bar cutout on a premium design (looking at you, Paysan and Drunken).

With titanium integrals found at $250-350, this is more like a $200-250 knife though. Sculpted titanium and 20cv is regularly found in that range. I have one that was $175 new from dealer with end of year sales (and normally $200) that was limited production to boot. If I can find one used for $250 or so, I may spring for it, but that's a hard upper limit for what this provides and only that high because the design is so nice.

Edit: Just hit me it kind of reminds me of a fancy Breeden Rescue, which is a design I always liked.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

SHOT Show video from The Knife Joker.

Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Thanks for the link to the YouTube vid. That handle has great machining on it. I like the way this knife is intricatly designed but that handle looks extremely uncomfortable to hold and use for an extended time. I also don't like custom clips. I tend to use my knives and having a knife with a custom made clip is a PITA. I realise this knife will probably seldom be used as an EDC so probably no clip bending but the flat screwdriver on top of the handle might come in handy. Honestly this is the first Spyderco knife ever that made me think "yuck" at first glance ever. Some models had to grow on me and some looked silly in the past but this one is not my cup of thee.
But that knife joker guy sure looks impressed. I little too impressed imho.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

You're welcome. It's a polarizing design, for sure.

I think the first Spyderco that I found strange at first glance was the Khalsa.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:20 pm
I think the first Spyderco that I found strange at first glance was the Khalsa.

The infamous tumorous Khalsa! :rofl

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

According to ThomasOMoore on IG... The Stovepipe is on its way to dealers.
•• Beau