2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Re: 2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Post by Cheddarnut »

Also: having clicked the above link, the Spade really needs to be spyderized as well, yowtch!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 am
I love this, even if i cant stop imagining a Breeden Rescue dipped in robot sauce. I will sell knives to fund this if only to support the absence of a lanyard hole. Thank [insert faith] that the clip is straight down the handle, i lose sleep over the skewed clips that cowtow to lanyard gapes.
Jace, I’m intoxicated by the exuberance of your verbosity. :winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Always loved the custom, Bill the Butcher....this is a great chance to get that design considerably less than the custom at least....even if it is 400+

I'm in.
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

If it's not a huge run I think Spyderco may have success with this. I remember when the Bombshell came out I was skeptical. That one was a Flashbatch so maybe the perceived scarcity added to its desirability.
Hard to imagine they'll do more than one run of this.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Not my jam in the slightest. Looks like a chunky, angular, pocket hog and I don't even know what is going on just to the rear of the Spydie hole where jimping would make sense. It's like there's a little weird plateau nubbin in the middle of it. But it seems to have fans, and that's cool.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bmstrong

Post by bmstrong »

Peacedivision wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:40 pm
Someone is going to make a wicked re-grind.

excuse my MS paint skills.
Sign me up.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:55 am
If it's not a huge run I think Spyderco may have success with this. I remember when the Bombshell came out I was skeptical. That one was a Flashbatch so maybe the perceived scarcity added to its desirability.
Hard to imagine they'll do more than one run of this.
I'm surprised the Stovepipe isn't a Flashbatch. Makes more sense than a production knife to me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 am
I'm surprised the Stovepipe isn't a Flashbatch. Makes more sense than a production knife to me.
+1
So it goes.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Holy cow, that's NOT a lot of knife for $420. Best of luck to those getting one, a full size Seb or XM-18 can be easily had for just a wee bit more.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
archangel

Post by archangel »

I will think about it, if I stumble over a 50% discount code. ;)

It looks very cool. Probably not super functional, but very cool.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Hopefully one of the Spyderco crew can let us know whether it has a steel lockbar insert. David hasn’t responded either way on his Instagram.
archangel

Post by archangel »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm
I like the Stovepipe. I hope it's less than $200, but I doubt it. Probably closer to 300.....

I admit it was silly to even think this could be priced in the area around $200, given the materials, finish, and quality appearance. >$300 MAP would be ok. 400 seems to be the new 300 nowadays...

I do like the look and the materials of this strange beauty. Who knows. I had never thought I could afford a Tighe Stick, Slysz Bowie, Southard Folder, Province, or Advocate when they were still listed. If I limit my 2022 purchases to maybe just 2 or 3.....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

David Rydbom shared another photo on his Instagram page - @KingdomArmory
(https://instagram.com/kingdomarmory?utm ... =copy_link)

Caption: “ A Butcher and his Stovepipe - the @spyderco_inc - pre-production proto and 1st sales sample Stovepipe #framelock #kingdomarmory #spyderco @kingdomofmud #art”
https://www.instagram.com/p/CYo1tOiFTOt ... =copy_link
-Nick :bug-red
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

In none of the pictures I am able to figure out if there's a steel lockbar insert in there.
Great that they added a flat head screwdriver, maybe a Philips would have been a better one :zany ?
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am
Hopefully one of the Spyderco crew can let us know whether it has a steel lockbar insert. David hasn’t responded either way on his Instagram.
A properly carbidized titanium lockface doesn't really need an insert, no?
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:29 pm
Molle Ninja wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:35 am
A properly carbidized titanium lockface doesn't really need an insert, no?
The two Spydiechefs that I’ve bought both had that treatment, and both had bad lockstick. My Swayback was perfect.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bmstrong wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 am
Peacedivision wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:40 pm
Someone is going to make a wicked re-grind.

excuse my MS paint skills.
Sign me up.
excuse my even worse android photo editor skills, still haven't installed a better editing app on my new phone......

Yojimbo vibes...
:unicorn
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Spyderco’s custom collaborations aren’t necessarily subject to quite the same “function over form” motto as other knives, but I think this would be plenty functional.
Wide blades like this can be used in a lot fun ways.

I don’t really think that is the point, though.
The designer did a wonderful job creating a lot of form on the Stovepipe, an aspect of knife design I can really appreciate from an artistic perspective. It’s very hard to make something unique and aesthetic.
And I think I can tell that Spyderco’s maker did a super job on the execution. The machining is much more complex on the Stovepipe than most other titanium frame locks including the Chris Reeves and Hinderers mentioned.

For example, notice that the area around the pivot isn’t actually arced, it’s slab sided, while the rear majority of the handle has that characteristic contour from Taiwan knives like the Marcin Slysz collaborations.

The pocket clip is also well done from a design standpoint, in my opinion. One of the nicer looking ones on a Spyderco. I guess how well it’ll function remains to be seen.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:00 pm
Spyderco’s custom collaborations aren’t necessarily subject to quite the same “function over form” motto as other knives, but I think this would be plenty functional.
Wide blades like this can be used in a lot fun ways.

I don’t really think that is the point, though.
The designer did a wonderful job creating a lot form on the stovepipe, an aspect of knife design I can really appreciate from an artistic perspective. It’s very hard to make something unique and aesthetic.
And I think I can tell that Spyderco’s maker did a super job on the execution. The machining is much more complex on the Stovepipe than most other titanium frame locks including the Chris Reeves and Hinderers mentioned.

For example, notice that the area around the pivot isn’t actually arced, it’s slab sided, while the rear majority of the handle has that characteristic contour from Taiwan knives like the Marcin Slysz collaborations.

The pocket clip is also well done from a design standpoint, in my opinion. One of the nicer looking ones on a Spyderco. I guess how well it’ll function remains to be seen.
Very well said and I agree entirely.

The notion that this knife won’t be “ functional” is unfounded, in my opinion. Nothing about it says it won’t function as a knife. Actually in my experience, Wharncliffe blades function very well in that aspect.
-Nick :bug-red
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:56 am

Jace, I’m intoxicated by the exuberance of your verbosity. :winking-tongue
😆
I’m gonna show this to my partner the next batch of eye rolls she serves me steaming hot.