Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:06 am

Also, and despite sounding like a broken record: Does no one else notice/feel the difference in the "cutting characteristic" between the over a long section totally straight Stretch edge (offers a bit of "wharnie power") and the continous curve in the Millie/PM2 shaped edges? :thinking
For me, it is more about the belly towards the tip to get that Wharnie kinda feel. So the Endura with less belly almost achieves that feel with a slight belly to make it more versatile than a Wharnie. Personally I don't prefer the extra belly even though it is probably more versatile overall. As far as belly at the tip, think Manix. All belly but not a hugh curve, so you almost get the same cutting ability at the tip as a Wharnie.

Now if you are cutting down boxes with the back of the blade, then I can see how the straight edge would feel similar. Even then I like to cut with a little angle. I wouldn't cut at a 90 degree angle.

Fortunately, belly or no belly, most of Spydercos core designs have that negative blade angle. So they all cut excellently.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
elena86

Post by elena86 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:06 am

Also, and despite sounding like a broken record: Does no one else notice/feel the difference in the "cutting characteristic" between the over a long section totally straight Stretch edge (offers a bit of "wharnie power") and the continous curve in the Millie/PM2 shaped edges? :thinking
For me, it is more about the belly towards the tip to get that Wharnie kinda feel. So the Endura with less belly almost achieves that feel with a slight belly to make it more versatile than a Wharnie. Personally I don't prefer the extra belly even though it is probably more versatile overall. As far as belly at the tip, think Manix. All belly but not a hugh curve, so you almost get the same cutting ability at the tip as a Wharnie.

Now if you are cutting down boxes with the back of the blade, then I can see how the straight edge would feel similar. Even then I like to cut with a little angle. I wouldn't cut at a 90 degree angle.

Fortunately, belly or no belly, most of Spydercos core designs have that negative blade angle. So they all cut excellently.

For me both the Smock and the Watu have the perfect edge shape.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:47 am
Bloke wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:26 am
Fireman wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:17 am
Stretch XL is a modified millie without the controversy… Change my mind
:smiling-cheeks
Funny as this challenge is to me, I must say the Stretch2 XL, nice as its lines, weight, neutral-handedness may be, is neither as robust nor as hand-accommodating as an unmodified Millie. CMV.
I wonder about this…I’d be inclined to think the xl with its backlock is more robust and than the military with its liner lock. Back locks are some of the strongest mechanisms out there. And frn is tough material, so I’m not too worried about going linerless there.

This looks like an amazing design, can’t wait until they come out in other steel variations. I’ve got no problem with vg-10 it’s just fun having the newer and fancier stuff.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

capt.carl wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:51 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Bloke wrote:
Fireman wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:17 am
Stretch XL is a modified millie without the controversy… Change my mind
:smiling-cheeks
Funny as this challenge is to me, I must say the Stretch2 XL, nice as its lines, weight, neutral-handedness may be, is neither as robust nor as hand-accommodating as an unmodified Millie. CMV.
I wonder about this…I’d be inclined to think the xl with its backlock is more robust and than the military with its liner lock. Back locks are some of the strongest mechanisms out there. And frn is tough material, so I’m not too worried about going linerless there.

This looks like an amazing design, can’t wait until they come out in other steel variations. I’ve got no problem with vg-10 it’s just fun having the newer and fancier stuff.
The Millie is no doubt more ''robust''. You have to consider the entire structure
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:04 am
capt.carl wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:51 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Bloke wrote:
The Millie is no doubt more ''robust''. You have to consider the entire structure
My gut feeling tends to agree, but I still am not entirely sure:

- The Mille has a minimal liner, the XL none, but on the other hand a steel lockbar and (FRN) backspacer (and by that a closed back instead of an open back)

- In some ways FRN is "stronger" (don't have a better term) than G10 (in some it is vice versa)

Again, just from the feel of the knives in hand U'd also say the XL is robust (enough), but the Millie even more so.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

I’d like to see a mili destruction test just out of curiosity. Like serious abuse. I’ve never found one. No doubt it’s strong and has the best liner lock out there, but backlocks are so insanely robust and strong often the blade breaks before the lock fails. I know the military is and feels more ridgid with the g10 which is an insanely strong material but FRN is no joke even though it feels more flimsy

Sorry to derail.

Really want one of these XLs! Been on an xl kick lately with cold steel and got my first k390 police which i love
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

capt.carl wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:34 am
I’d like to see a mili destruction test just out of curiosity.
Destruction tests don't really prove anything except that you can destroy any knife if you try hard enough. :confounded
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

capt.carl wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:34 am
I’d like to see a mili destruction test just out of curiosity. Like serious abuse. I’ve never found one.....

I can recall watching a Millie destruction test pn youtube years ago (the guys who made the vid were Russians and I think it was called something along the lines of "Russian hard use").

Now I am really not the biggest fan of such tests, but at least they often make a bit more sense than the "review" vids of brand new folders...

Anyway, the Millie prooved to be pretty indestructible as far as I recall. Only the tip snapped, which is to be expected at some point if one actually wants a tip that is still useful in regular folder tasks.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

One knife I miss since gifting. I think another may come my way , one of my favorite designs .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

It drives me crazy when I hear how strong the backlock is and how weak the liner lock . I don't want to open this can of worms but two Enduras failed on me while hard using(not abusing) them not to mention that most backlocks develop that annoying lock rock. Spyderco makes the best liner locks in the industry so... yes, I 100% trust my Millies when it comes to lock reliability. I only wish they put more CBBLs and BLs on their folders.Those are really bulletproof locks.
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:42 am
It drives me crazy when I hear how strong the backlock is and how weak the liner lock . I don't want to open this can of worms but two Enduras failed on me while hard using(not abusing) them not to mention that most backlocks develop that annoying lock rock. Spyderco makes the best liner locks in the industry so... yes, I 100% trust my Millies when it comes to lock reliability. I only wish they put more CBBLs and BLs on their folders.Those are really bulletproof locks.
Spydercos linerlocks are plenty strong indeed, especially the Millies! No fear it could fail and never heard of that!

I guess people assumed (I did) you were talking about general robustness, not lock strength. And here the fully closed back (partly steel) of a backlock could add strength to the handle itself.

As for backlocks failing: First time I hear this - but obviously it can happen.
What I can also recall: Both Sal and Eric stating that on really large folders (Police) they like the backlock particularly for its strength.

More CBBL knives? YES please!!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Can I assume I have not missed the announcement of a S-XL steel other than VG10 yet? I keep checking this thread for an announcement of the S-XL becoming available in M4, SPY27, XHP, CruWear, Magna, S90V, etc...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Nothing yet, it's a relatively new model. I don't think you would be disappointed in VG-10 though, especially in SE, with those beautiful, full flat ground, shallow serrations.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:27 pm
Can I assume I have not missed the announcement of a S-XL steel other than VG10 yet? I keep checking this thread for an announcement of the S-XL becoming available in M4, SPY27, XHP, CruWear, Magna, S90V, etc...

No, but this model would deserve a ton of variants imo...

May I suggest trying SE in the meantime?
VG10 is a top steel for teeth in my book and the XL offers great serrations...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:46 am
Bolster wrote:

Just received my XL in plain edge. Well, now I deeply regret not buying the SE variant. It's the worst sharpened blade in plain edge I have in my collection... but coming from Seki is no surprise. I wonder ... does Spyderco have a QC officer in that Seki shop ? I like the knife in general so I might go over my frustration and get the SE one but I need more close-up photos. Maybe one of you guys would be kind enough and post a few...
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

This thread needs more pictures yo! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:23 am
... my most recent one of your perfect gift, my friend! :smlling-eyes

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Bolster wrote:

.....I like the knife in general so I might go over my frustration and get the SE one but I need more close-up photos. Maybe one of you guys would be kind enough and post a few...
Close ups of the serrations, I assume?
I can do that of course!

... and I don't know how you'd feel about rerurning the PE and exchange it for an SE.
I would probably not do it, but it's something to consider.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:40 am
TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:23 am
... my most recent one of your perfect gift, my friend! :smlling-eyes

That is officially what I’m talking ‘bout! Very nice. Glad you’re liking it Gernot!
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Just received my XL in plain edge. Well, now I deeply regret not buying the SE variant. It's the worst sharpened blade in plain edge I have in my collection... but coming from Seki is no surprise. I wonder ... does Spyderco have a QC officer in that Seki shop ? I like the knife in general so I might go over my frustration and get the SE one but I need more close-up photos. Maybe one of you guys would be kind enough and post a few...
I don’t have pictures to provide, but I also received a terribly sharpened PE SXL. Might have been the single most uneven Spydie I’ve ever handled. I love the design though so took a flier on the SE which I’m glad I did; it’s a perfect knife with beautifully done serrations. The plain edge got passed along after I fixed the edge but the SE sees quite a bit of carry time. Tuned up on the sharpmaker tonight, it’s doing some work tomorrow.