Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buddafucco

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Mon May 09, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:52 pm
I hope when these steels are released there's a new SXL thread for them? That's how I watch for releases...if the discussion goes deep into a thread like this, I'll prolly miss it.
I will,send you a PM buddy ! Dan
[/quote]

Thanx man! I will try to pay attention but it helps to have some backup!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 4:21 pm

Thanks for that!

This is the first pic of a "real" Stretch XL SE I see (I may post the pic from the KnifeWorks page below).

So far all I am aware of showed probably / perhaps just "photoshopped" serrations of different kinds, so one could not be sure how exactly the particular serration pattern on the Stretch XL SE would look like

Now this seems to be an actual photo of a Stretch XL SE, and I like what I see:

- Rather shallow serrations it seems
- And a good amount of PE towards the tip

Those serrations look nice indeed!
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Just received my SE Stretch XL. The blade is very minimally off center (don't care) and the lock bar stands proud by maybe half a millimeter both open and closed (again, not an issue for me). Other than that, everything is as it should be. Looking forward to using it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:08 am
Just received my SE Stretch XL. The blade is very minimally off center (don't care) and the lock bar stands proud by maybe half a millimeter both open and closed (again, not an issue for me). Other than that, everything is as it should be. Looking forward to using it.
I checked mine XL PE again . My lock bar is barely proud , I have to turn it in the light to see it and don’t notice at all in hand . Blade is also just a tiny bit off center . I consider both issues as minor and enjoy the knife a lot . Hope to hear SE comments. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:08 am

Do you have any other SE Spydies you could compare the XL to concerning pattern/performance of the serrations?

And perhaps even post comparison pics if you like?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:28 am

Do you have any other SE Spydies you could compare the XL to concerning pattern/performance of the serrations?

The serrations are just like those on the K390 Police 4. Which is to say, smaller than on the other Seki SE models, like the Endela and Pacific Salt 2 (LC200N).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:28 am

The serrations are just like those on the K390 Police 4. Which is to say, smaller than on the other Seki SE models, like the Endela and Pacific Salt 2 (LC200N).

Thanks!

So "SMALLER" than on the Endela SE? Depending on what "kind" of small, this sounds pretty good to me!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

As long as the Sharpmaker still sharpens the small serrations, yes.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:59 am
As long as the Sharpmaker still sharpens the small serrations, yes.

True, but I think Spyderco would consider this - ?

...Also, I think perhaps he is talking about the "height" of the serrations, so how far they go up the blade, and not necessarily the "width"?

If someone could post pics of the Stretch XL serrations compared to other SE Spydies this would be really nice (I know, not many will own an SE Stretch XL yet)
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

No, I meant width. The Stretch XL and the Pacific Salt 2 LC200N offer roughly the same amount of edge (88mm vs 86mm) but the Stretch XL blade has one more set of large and small scallops. As a side note, at least to my less than scientific fingers, the Stretch XL feels like its ground thinner behind the scallops than any of my other flat ground serrated Spydies.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 am
No, I meant width. The Stretch XL and the Pacific Salt 2 LC200N offer roughly the same amount of edge (88mm vs 86mm) but the Stretch XL blade has one more set of large and small scallops. As a side note, at least to my less than scientific fingers, the Stretch XL feels like its ground thinner behind the scallops than any of my other flat ground serrated Spydies.

The next of only great things I read about this knife... :smiling-cheeks

... and I believe you´re right, since I generally always felt that the Stretch (at least Stretch 1, but I think also "2") has a "thinner feeling" and slicier blade than other Spydies with the same blade stock thickness.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

It's also easily the out of the box sharpest SE Seki City knife I've ever received. Better than any of the Salts or the P4 and rivaling the Golden produced UKPK Salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm
It's also easily the out of the box sharpest SE Seki City knife I've ever received. Better than any of the Salts or the P4 and rivaling the Golden produced UKPK Salt.

Next good news about this apparently amazing design!! :smlling-eyes
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Just received my Stretch 2 XL PE last Wednesday. Other than the lock bar sitting a little high fit and finish was spot on; not quite dropping shut but almost. It also came extremely sharp.

I’ve been wanting to get a Stretch 2 for the past couple years but I just never did. As soon as I saw the Stretch 2 XL I couldn’t resist.

Very slicey, great size, awesome bang for the buck, very light weight & I really like how much control you have while choking up on the choil even though the blade is longer.

I don’t know if I can tell you all anything you don’t already know about this knife but I’m certainly enjoying it.

If you’re on the fence about getting it just do it. Good sales will promote more variations. Like Salts or tool steel.
97F6C115-B3B8-44F8-9219-856FDCE74F6E.jpeg
Here’s a pic for size reference.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Is the top knife the Salt 2, or Pacific Salt 2?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:28 am
Is the top knife the Salt 2, or Pacific Salt 2?

I am not BLUETYPEII, but the knife in the pic is definitely the PAC Salt 2...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow, then the Stretch XL is bigger than I thought.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Which makes its light weight even more amazing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:43 am
Which makes its light weight even more amazing.

Going by Spydercos specs the XL has the exact same closed length as the Pac Salt, but an a bit longer blade.
CLOSED the XL does not even look like a wider package overall than the Pac Salt
And yes, it has almost the same amazing light weight (Pac Salt 2 ffg 2.6, Stretch XL 2.7...the Pac Salt 2 in H1 / sabre hollow grind is even a tad "heavier" (2.8) )