Reveal 9 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
max808

Re: Reveal 9 Live!

Post by max808 »

Wow... just went through the whole catalog and there's a lot to get excited about. That C253CFP is a done deal as far as I'm concerned. :respect Thank you Sal and Mike for making the boxcutter to end all boxcutters. :winking-tongue
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Matus

Post by Matus »

The Stretch XL is super elegant, clean lines, sleek. Well done! I would still probably pick the standard one given the use I would have for it, but man I love how it looks.

The Damasteel Urban is interesting, the bright handle allows the blade pattern to stand out. I can not help but notice that the blade is now indeed 2.5” and lacks a bit of the elegance the k390 has. Damasteel is expensive material, (though there is not more than $30 worth of it in that little blade), but also very easy to work with. Not quite my cup of tea, but still a lovely knife. I actually think that UKPK would look even better in Damasteel.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:12 pm
I must be a little on the slow side today...but I, for the life of me can't figure out how you would use that Webfoot haha. I've been looking at it for like 5 minutes and I'm confused :spiral-eyes
You rock it or tilt it to which side you want to use
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

I hope others find something they like. I’ll have to pass on these.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The front of the spine on the Stovepipe with the flat head/pry bar and crazy wide profile is unappealing to me. Will probably sell out quickly. :grin-smiling-eyes
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm
I like the Stovepipe. I hope it's less than $200, but I doubt it. Probably closer to 300.....
Hope springs eternal ... that is no longer true, it is about to die. ;) (Guess in Europe it comes to ~€ 600,-)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I dig the stovepipe but looks to be too small for me. Specs indicate it’s just a bit bigger than the techno.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I could get interested in the new LW Stretch XL, due to its fantastic blade-to-weight ratio...when it's available in a variant that's not VG-10. I have enough VG-10 to last me two or three lifetimes.

The other offerings? Interesting, but not for me.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

That Stovewhatever is so ugly it's getting really attractive to me.
At 420$ will be 5 to 600EUR in Europencrapland...

Titanium clip, custom pivot, no lanyard craphole, no extra 20 holes in the scales, nice.
It looks rather small, maybe just a bit larger overall would have been a bit better?

I see the overtravel stop but I don't see the steel insert, is this another one of those they feel it's not required?
Not required at 420? Just put it in there FFS...

Urban looks OK, 280$ will be over 300EUR. Over 300EUR for an Urban...

Don't get the price of those Carter kitchen knives.
I bought a Tojiro DP 3 layers Chefs Knife 21cm last summer directly from Japan 100EUR including duties, it's 118 if you buy it in EU. What's so special about these, Carter's name?

Few years ago Sebenza was expensive. Not anymore!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Gsg9 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:48 pm

I see the overtravel stop but I don't see the steel insert, is this another one of those they feel it's not required?
Not required at 420? Just put it in there FFS...

Stovepipe better have the stainless steel interface on the lock face. Swayback has it.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wow! There's some exciting stuff here. Looking forward to the FFG serrated Byrds and the clad Mule! Also that cool Damasteel Urban. Great Reveal!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ill probably grab a stretch xl.
Maybe the camping cup and maybe a mule
Hard pass on everything else.

Never really understood the whole folding pocket cleaver thing and at that price I gotta pass.

For what I would probably carry a yojumbo for, backup dedicated sd knife, there isnt any advantage to paying more for carbon fiber and s90v.

I got excited when I saw the bd1n Carter kitchen knives until someone pointed out the price.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
vanka

Post by vanka »

I have the feeling that half of the stovepipe pieces will end up in the influencer's hands. It's kind of a trend the last few years. Now, the damasteel urban is more of a collector's piece. Don't think it's meant to be used on a construction site. I totally get it that prices are going up. Everything is expensive these days - it's hard to source materials, and taxes and rates are going up, gas, electricity - you name it. Trust me, spyderco is trying to keep the prices as low as possible but they have to factor all the things mentioned plus a 100 more. It's definitely not easy, and it's getting tricky with years to come. For the amount of knives they managed to pull out last year, production, sprints, exclusives - my deepest respect. 2021 was a heck of a year for spyderco and for us. Unfortunately for me I haven't got a payrise over a year, meaning I have to better plan on which exact pieces to acquire. Considering some of them jump out of the blue with 1 or 2 weeks notice. 😁
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Meh. Only one I’m stoked for is the XL Stretch. I’m out at $280 for a Urban in Damasteel, and for the price of the Stovepipe, it opens lots of doors for nice middle tier USA made knives, even mid customs.
Josh
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:42 pm
Meh. Only one I’m stoked for is the XL Stretch. I’m out at $280 for a Urban in Damasteel, and for the price of the Stovepipe, it opens lots of doors for nice middle tier USA made knives, even mid customs.
$280? Is that MAP?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:50 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
$280? Is that MAP?
Yes, MSRP is $400.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:55 pm
Another datapoint: CRK Knives start at $425 and sell out every release. Someone has money and is spending it. I think we can see the future of Spyderco. They’ll have to move up market now or later.
Hmmm…seems to fit here.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

In a time when runaway inflation is rampant, the Cara Cara 2 serrated wharnie is an absolute steal.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Chleiti wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:54 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:50 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
$280? Is that MAP?
Yes, MSRP is $400.
Yikes! Might not get one, after all. :flushed
- Connor

araneae

Post by araneae »

Stretch XL with no liners is appealing, as is the Robin wharnie.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal