Reveal 9 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chleiti

Re: Reveal 9 Live!

Post by Chleiti »

BearShark44 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:33 pm
For the Mules, Reveal 9 lists both of these: MT32P - SRS13 steel w/ SUS405 cladding, already listed on site as available soon to order.
MT35P - MagnaCut steel, not listed on site at all, but I think a sprint of this already released last Nov ‘21. Based on it showing in the ‘22 release #9, do fans think it will be issued again soon?

(uhhh… first post ever on spyderco forum, glad to be here.)
If you check out the threads in the Mule Team subforum you can relive the rollercoaster experience that was the MagnaCut Mule drop. If you want to get the MT32, keep an eye on the forum for a release date and make sure you follow Kristi's tips and tricks on getting your account ready beforehand as the demand lately has been overwhelming. Alternately, there's no word on a release date but there are plans for a regular production Mule in SPY27 steel- the blade shape will be different to set it apart from the regular Mules but it will fit the same sheaths and handle scales.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was just looking around on some retailers sites that have listed the models from this reveal and I noticed they have the new Murray Carter Minarai series listed at MSRP with no discount for MAP. Kind of odd because the Wakiita series and Itamae series both have MAP discounts.

In my opinion, the prices would be phenomenal if the Minarai series was offered with the normal 30% MAP discount. They would be much more digestible at the 15% MAP discount that the other two Murray Carter series are often listed at. To be sold only at full MSRP is just puzzling to me. For polypropylene handles, not only would I have expected a lower price to begin with but I would have definitely expected a MAP discount of some percentage.

Also, when comparing the prices of the Minarai series (black polypropylene) and the Wakiita series ( black g10) the prices aren’t that much different, that I tend to think I would want to spend the difference for the black g10 handles instead of the black polypropylene handles.

Itamae Bunka Bucho - $335.75 / MSRP $395 = 15%
Wakiita Bunka Bucho - $284.75 / MSRP $335 = 15%
Minarai Bunka Bucho - $235 / MSRP $235 = 0%
-Nick :bug-red
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Stove pipe looks cool but not $400+ cool, especially made in taiwan. Rather grab another CRK for that coin or a Hinderer or a microtech....a yojumbo for $275?...spyderco gone crazy with these prices, my god! Spyderco used to be cheap or at least a.good value....times change.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:32 pm
BearShark44 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:33 pm
(uhhh… first post ever on spyderco forum, glad to be here.)
:rofl welcome!
I'm glad I'm not the only one cracking up. That was hilarious. 😂. Welcome BearShark44!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:19 pm
Stove pipe looks cool but not $400+ cool, especially made in taiwan. Rather grab another CRK for that coin or a Hinderer or a microtech....a yojumbo for $275?...spyderco gone crazy with these prices, my god! Spyderco used to be cheap or at least a.good value....times change.
knifecenter has the S90V yojumbo listed at $245 for what its worth. About $25 more than the DLC S30V & G10 model I have in my pocket right now.
:unicorn
bjz

Post by bjz »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:58 pm
I was just looking around on some retailers sites that have listed the models from this reveal and I noticed they have the new Murray Carter Minarai series listed at MSRP with no discount for MAP. Kind of odd because the Wakiita series and Itamae series both have MAP discounts.

In my opinion, the prices would be phenomenal if the Minarai series was offered with the normal 30% MAP discount. They would be much more digestible at the 15% MAP discount that the other two Murray Carter series are often listed at. To be sold only at full MSRP is just puzzling to me. For polypropylene handles, not only would I have expected a lower price to begin with but I would have definitely expected a MAP discount of some percentage.

Also, when comparing the prices of the Minarai series (black polypropylene) and the Wakiita series ( black g10) the prices aren’t that much different, that I tend to think I would want to spend the difference for the black g10 handles instead of the black polypropylene handles.

This third series puzzles me as well, especially at msrp! I own two of the Carters (I won’t get into why I chose these, what I paid for them or my thoughts on relative cost-to-performance ratios), but I will say that both the Itamae and Wakiita handles far exceeded any expectations I had! I was skeptical about a g-10 handle being anything but basic, but I was wrong. I am especially fond of the wakiita handles…they are just dead %^*y…uhh, classy!

Similar to mushroom’s thoughts, I have a hard time believing that anyone willing to spend this much on kitchen Cartery would even consider a polypro handle. At the end of the day, these knives should be purchased for the blade, not necessarily the handle/combo, but I would sure expect these to be the nicest molded poly handles ever made. hopefully this venture and pricing works out for Spyderco.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It seems like the Murray Carter knives are only sold at 15% off MSRP and even on the Spyderco online store no additional discounts can be applied on the listed price.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The upcoming YoJumbo S90V/CF Sprint is $245 which is the same price as last year’s Native Chief S90V/CF Sprint which is still available at some dealers.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

kobold wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:55 pm
ekastanis wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:43 pm
I imagine the Stovepipe will be a tough sell at $420 MAP, perhaps also the Urban sprint at $280 MAP.

The real eyebrow raiser for me though is the Carter Minarai series. The gyuto in BD1N with polypropylene handles for $270 MSRP/$229.5 MAP? You can get a handmade gyuto with arguably better materials from Japan for that.

That's a typo, it is actually Cartier. :cheap-sunglasses
Nicely done :) The edge retention should be outstanding!! (Cartier blades are made of diamond, obvs)
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Mushroom wrote:

Maybe these are meant for professional use?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:09 am
Mushroom wrote:

Maybe these are meant for professional use?
Most culinary professionals I've worked with use house knives, and the ones that have their own tend to spend $50-120 per knife. That's been my experience in USA at least.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Soooo that Stretch 2 XL is just as awesome as I was hoping. I’ll definitely pick up a plain edge and a serrated variant, but holy **** I had my fingers crossed for a steel beyond VG10 off the hop. I know how it usually works with gauging that possibility based off initial sales; but a man can dream right?!
vivi

Post by vivi »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:26 am
Soooo that Stretch 2 XL is just as awesome as I was hoping. I’ll definitely pick up a plain edge and a serrated variant, but holy **** I had my fingers crossed for a steel beyond VG10 off the hop. I know how it usually works with gauging that possibility based off initial sales; but a man can dream right?!
Sal seemed to have plans for K390, cruwear and LC200N. Hopefully sales justify it. The Native Chief seems to be doing good with regards to sprints, so maybe we'll be seeing it in M4, 4V, 20CV etc. as well.

I'm definitely buying at least two VG10 versions with fingers crossed for a salt in the pipeline.
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

It took me a minute to realize why I liked the look of the Byrd Wharncliffes but I the hole sort of matches the shape of the blade. Definitely gonna grab the Robin SE and Meadowlark PE.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 pm
Sal seemed to have plans for K390, cruwear and LC200N. Hopefully sales justify it. The Native Chief seems to be doing good with regards to sprints, so maybe we'll be seeing it in M4, 4V, 20CV etc. as well.

I'm definitely buying at least two VG10 versions with fingers crossed for a salt in the pipeline.
Linerless K390 in a platform that could very well be an Endura-killer; the only knife I’ll ever need! It’s good to know a variety of other steels are a possibility. And nothing against VG10. I like the stuff and I’ll buy a couple at least.

Ah you shouldn’t have mentioned the Chief. My REX variant has been asking for a CF/S90V twin brother for a while now..
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:01 pm
Reveal 9 is Live! Check out the latest knives and accessories coming soon here: https://catalog.spyderco.com/Reveal9/

Hard copies can be requested here, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/. Remember, though, if you've previously requested a 2022 catalog, you will automatically receive a hard copy of each subsequent Reveal as they are released.

Pricing is included in the digital version; simply click on the menu and select Files to download the PDF.

As always, we appreciate your continued interest and support. Enjoy!

Kristi
Thank you Kristi!
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm
I like the Stovepipe. I hope it's less than $200, but I doubt it. Probably closer to 300.....
Get ready for a surprise........it's $600 !!

Just look at the Reveal....price is shown.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Ranger000 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:59 am
archangel wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm
I like the Stovepipe. I hope it's less than $200, but I doubt it. Probably closer to 300.....
Get ready for a surprise........it's $600 !!

Just look at the Reveal....price is shown.

$420 MAP ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

kobold wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:55 pm
ekastanis wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:43 pm
I imagine the Stovepipe will be a tough sell at $420 MAP, perhaps also the Urban sprint at $280 MAP.

The real eyebrow raiser for me though is the Carter Minarai series. The gyuto in BD1N with polypropylene handles for $270 MSRP/$229.5 MAP? You can get a handmade gyuto with arguably better materials from Japan for that.

That's a typo, it is actually Cartier. :cheap-sunglasses

Best. Correction. Ever. :winking-tongue
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...