CPM MagnaCut | Edge Performance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: CPM MagnaCut | Edge Performance

Post by Woodpuppy »

Last edited by Woodpuppy on Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

I'm hoping that my video drew more attention to Shawn's rope cutting studies. They were very useful for understanding cutting behavior.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Larrin wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:01 am
I'm hoping that my video drew more attention to Shawn's rope cutting studies. They were very useful for understanding cutting behavior.
We are fortunate to be in a time to witness the rise of two new cutlery legends in yourself and Shawn and we're blessed to be able to reap the rewards from you both.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 10.25.07 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 10.25.07 AM.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
👍
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Njaak

Post by Njaak »

I literally joined the Spyderco Forum because of this post. Amazing work. I've always wondered about "real world" performance - i.e. post initial degradation of edge, and ability to strop back. My next folder is just waiting for MagnaCut... what form will it take? PM2? Native Chief? the suspense is killing me.
USMC-88

Post by USMC-88 »

Shawn,
Do you feel Magnacut will support serrations and perform well?

Dr. Larrin,
Same question.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

There will be a release of the PM2 in MagnaCut sometime during 2024.

This PM2 will have a different heat treatment than the unreleased prototype PM2 model that I had in 2021 for testing.

I helped Spyderco with the heat treatment of the MagnaCut to help maximize the edge performance in a production setting.

I asked Eric if I could get a newer sample for testing,
When I receive it I will do more PM2 edge cut testing.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Guts

Post by Guts »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:30 pm

This PM2 will have a different heat treatment than the unreleased prototype PM2 model that I had in 2021 for testing.

I helped Spyderco with the heat treatment of the MagnaCut to help maximize the edge performance in a production setting.

Thanks for the update Shawn! Got a Magnacut PM2 on preorder so patiently waiting for the release.

I take this to mean the heat treat on the PM2 will be a little different from what's on the Native 5 Magnacut?
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Deadboxhero wrote:

What Rc range are we talking about here ? I know Rockwell hardness isn't the only issue in heat treating, but since Magnacut has such a possible high top end favoring edge performance, I'm curious where you are going with this.
javemtr

Post by javemtr »

Deadboxhero wrote:
... This PM2 will have a different heat treatment than the unreleased prototype PM2 model that I had in 2021 for testing.
Will all the new MagnaCut releases announced together with the PM2 Salt have this new and improved heat treat? Manix Salt, Native Chief Salt, ...?
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

Deadboxhero wrote:

Is this a different PM2 than the Salt they are supposed to be releasing soon? Or are you saying the PM2 Salt is not releasing until sometime after the new year...?
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

This is a GREAT thread. Thanks for all the testing data. In appreciation thereof, may I suggest Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey as an option for a cold winter night if you are looking for something to drink neat or on the rocks while appreciating a fine Spyderco knife. I don't work for them, but I have partaken of their enjoyable offerings.

Also, it seems like the various PM2 knives were all tested at 14 degrees dps. Would a 15 degree dps be a reasonable edge to reshape onto Spyderco flat blade knives so that touch up work could then be done on a Spyderco Sharpmaker? I have essential tremors in my hands and trying to free hand sharpen on a stone just isn't possible. But I have used a Sharpmaker for years. I recently obtained a KME in order to reshape the knives I use and am trying to do it correctly.

I have the Native 5 Salt in Magnacut and would like to reshape that blade. And when the PM2 and Para 3 drop, I intend to obtain those in MC as well. Knowing how best to shape them would be helpful.

Thanks for any input or advice.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

kriezek wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:52 pm
This is a GREAT thread. Thanks for all the testing data. In appreciation thereof, may I suggest Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey as an option for a cold winter night if you are looking for something to drink neat or on the rocks while appreciating a fine Spyderco knife. I don't work for them, but I have partaken of their enjoyable offerings.

Also, it seems like the various PM2 knives were all tested at 14 degrees dps. Would a 15 degree dps be a reasonable edge to reshape onto Spyderco flat blade knives so that touch up work could then be done on a Spyderco Sharpmaker? I have essential tremors in my hands and trying to free hand sharpen on a stone just isn't possible. But I have used a Sharpmaker for years. I recently obtained a KME in order to reshape the knives I use and am trying to do it correctly.

I have the Native 5 Salt in Magnacut and would like to reshape that blade. And when the PM2 and Para 3 drop, I intend to obtain those in MC as well. Knowing how best to shape them would be helpful.

Thanks for any input or advice.
I'll see if they have that whiskey at the store. Thanks for looking over the testing.

With your KME start at around 18-19dps and go from there, you don't want the bevel to get weird looking from being too wide.

Note that the flat bevel you can make with KME should allow for sufficient geometry for good cutting performance despite being 18-19dps thanks to the flat bevel you can create.

Sorry to hear about the tremors, I hope the KME helps.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

javemtr wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:04 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
... This PM2 will have a different heat treatment than the unreleased prototype PM2 model that I had in 2021 for testing.
Will all the new MagnaCut releases announced together with the PM2 Salt have this new and improved heat treat? Manix Salt, Native Chief Salt, ...?
I'm not sure, maybe there will be more information after Shot Show 2024 this January.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Dr Larrin, with the purchase of US Steel by Nippon steel, whAt does this mean for Magna Cut?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:40 pm
Dr Larrin, with the purchase of US Steel by Nippon steel, whAt does this mean for Magna Cut?
Crucible is the producer of Magnacut.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

US Steel and Nippon have nothing to do with Crucible and Niagara making MagnaCut.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larrin,

I just received a Manix Lite weight in Magnacut. Nice piece. My wife, Gail, carries her serrated Native in Magnacut quite a bit. We're on island and it works well.

sal
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:56 pm
Hi Larrin,

I just received a Manix Lite weight in Magnacut. Nice piece. My wife, Gail, carries her serrated Native in Magnacut quite a bit. We're on island and it works well.

sal
That’s awesome!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Not a Spyderco but this is Magna Cut. It will be interesting to see how this 10mm thick blade edge holds up. PMP Alpha Beast.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.