We don't actually need to Magnacut *all* the knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: We don't actually need to Magnacut *all* the knives

Post by Josh Crutchley »

In my use case steel with higher toughness has shown no advantage. I do have issues with corrosion being right next to Lake Erie, so I'm looking forward to trying Magnacut. I just think it will get lost in the sea of good blade steels like Spy27,S30-35-45v, Cruwear, and all the rest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Does Spyderco stick with using steels that only fit the best use case for each model?

Isn't there a Cruwear Dragonfly already?

What is it about this steel that makes it unsuitable for a knife design that already comes in another mid tier steel anyway? In other words if someone has a compelling argument as to why a knife is perfectly fine in VG10/S30V but suddenly MagnaCut is overkill or whatever then let's hear it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I guess my attitude is, "if you have to pick just one, MagnaCut is that one."

But you don't.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:30 pm
Does Spyderco stick with using steels that only fit the best use case for each model?

Isn't there a Cruwear Dragonfly already?

What is it about this steel that makes it unsuitable for a knife design that already comes in another mid tier steel anyway? In other words if someone has a compelling argument as to why a knife is perfectly fine in VG10/S30V but suddenly MagnaCut is overkill or whatever then let's hear it?
I agree with your statements. My take is we will see sprint runs of various models of the usual suspects and probably a few surprises as the steel rolls out . I say let the steel get out and enjoy the ride . The 15% price increase will definitely make me selective what model I will buy , but that’s just an economic choice made by me not talking for everyone else . I like you point of view . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My most carried knives include S110V, M4, Rex45 and K390. I think Rex45 and K390 on paper suit my needs the best. For Magic-na-steel I think high corrosion resistance and good toughness are qualities that will benefit the average user the most.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

MagnaCut serrated tanto !!
Serrated spydie edge length & PE 45* end
Or maybe a MC serrated stretch 2
Otherwise I doubt I will have much interest in it over M4 or vg10
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Do all steels like MC get the most criticism but if MC replaced S30V, I think we all would be the better for it.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Certainly, there are SOME models I’d like to see in Magnacut, but not necessarily ALL models; only ones I care about.

😜

Seriously though, I’m waiting to see even more real-world user feedback. As with any steel, there will be those who love it, those who hate it, and those who are in-between about it. I’m fine with good edge-holding that’s not “super edge-holding.” Magnacut *seems* like an excellent mix of qualities for a great all-around steel.

I suspect that even if there were some way that Unobtainium was miraculously obtained and could be processed into knives, with perfect geometry that could never dull, never chip, roll or break, never rust, and will remain pristine forever, AND remained fairly affordable, it would STILL have its critics who would either prefer older steels, or who would demand something better.

Jim
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

S30V isn't a'high edge retention steel' in comparison to MC. The difference - at the same HRC - is about 10%. Given the fact, that MC can be run at higher HRC, the advantage is fading.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I need to get through a few sharpenings to give my Magna cut mules a fair shake and offer my anecdotal data. I personally think more people would like the max hardness to give more edge retention over toughness but I like the middle of the road hardness that spyderco gave us because I intend to do some hard use. Some custom makers will try to wring out the max hardness of MC but that will cost you in two different ways of cost and toughness. There are not many goldilocks steels out there like MC but there are steels that will have amazing edge retention if that is what you seek and will use the knife within its limits. Steels are like friends… the more the merrier. I think I will be happy with MC because I am aware of its qualities and won’t be disappointed if I have to sharpen it a couple more times than my other high edge retention steels because I enjoy a knife that can take abuse because I like to use my knives in challenging ways that less tough steels may not survive. We are just lucky to have Spyderco that indulges our penchant for a plethora of steel options at a price the average joe can afford.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Maybe if we started calling it stainless 4V, more people would go for it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:25 am
S30V isn't a'high edge retention steel' in comparison to MC. The difference - at the same HRC - is about 10%. Given the fact, that MC can be run at higher HRC, the advantage is fading.
Its more more like 13-15% :winking-tongue and S30V in Larrins testing was run .5hrc less than MC so that's not much is it? I know S30v is typically run around 60hrc but if you look at it that way then we're comparing knives not steel.

That's why I like Larrins data so much, no hype. I want to try Magnacut as much as anyone else.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:32 pm
but I also think a lot of people are just asking for the shiny new hotness rather than actually thinking about what steels are best for which use cases.

Yeah, I think you're right. While I would LIKE a Magnacut blade in the knives I carry, the ones I have are GREAT, so there isn't a need to replace anything at this time. For what it's worth, my EDC folders are K390, REX45, and M4-- all in my favorite models of Spyderco's. If I bought one of these models in Magnacut, it would be an impulse buy.

You talked about the "shiny hotness." Ultimately, Spyderco could make every model of their knives in Magnacut, capitalize on the hype, rake in enough cash to upgrade the company Gulfstream, introduce Magnacut 2.0, and do it all over again.

Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:35 am
metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:32 pm
but I also think a lot of people are just asking for the shiny new hotness rather than actually thinking about what steels are best for which use cases.

Yeah, I think you're right. While I would LIKE a Magnacut blade in the knives I carry, the ones I have are GREAT, so there isn't a need to replace anything at this time. For what it's worth, my EDC folders are K390, REX45, and M4-- all in my favorite models of Spyderco's. If I bought one of these models in Magnacut, it would be an impulse buy.

You talked about the "shiny hotness." Ultimately, Spyderco could make every model of their knives in Magnacut, capitalize on the hype, rake in enough cash to upgrade the company Gulfstream, introduce Magnacut 2.0, and do it all over again.

I remember when K390 and CPM Rex 45 first started coming out in 2017.

People said exactly what you said about who needs those steels when you have CPM M4.

Yet, time has shown the advantages those steels have over M4
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Side note: Shaun, is there any characteristic you prefer M4 over k390/rex 45? Edge aggressiveness?
Salter

Post by Salter »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:22 pm
Frankly, my experience with my Magnacut Mule so far makes me think we don't need to Magnacut any of them, much less all of them. For something supposedly "tough" it sure chips easily, at least in my work environment.
Out of curiosity, what is your work environment? So far, I've had pretty good results with MagnaCut, though I haven't been super harsh on mine. Most of the deformation on mine has been dulling and rolling. Haven't had any issues with chipping yet.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I work building maintenance for a small government housing authority. Our primary apartment building is mostly concrete, so when I have to peel off damaged vinyl cove base that is glued to the concrete wall, some contact is inevitable. And sometimes I discover nails or staples that were driven into wood from the back side during construction, or a hiden upholstery staple when tearing apart old furniture for removal. (Don't ask me how they got that couch in there, I don't know) Sometimes it's a hardened drywall screw when I'm scraping off old paint and texture for a repair. MagnaCut ain't happy with me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 am
I work building maintenance for a small government housing authority. Our primary apartment building is mostly concrete, so when I have to peel off damaged vinyl cove base that is glued to the concrete wall, some contact is inevitable. And sometimes I discover nails or staples that were driven into wood from the back side during construction, or a hiden upholstery staple when tearing apart old furniture for removal. (Don't ask me how they got that couch in there, I don't know) Sometimes it's a hardened drywall screw when I'm scraping off old paint and texture for a repair. MagnaCut ain't happy with me.

So what steel have you used that didn't chip doing those things? Seems to me at some point every steel is going to fail in one way or another given the right environment.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

They all do fail. Some last longer than others. MagnaCut at the factory edge angle (or thereabouts, I freehand) has been among the shorter-lived edges in my unscientific, personal and very subjective use (I wouldn't dignify what I do by calling it "testing"). I'm bumping the edge angle out to about 45° included, I'll see how it stands up.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:39 am

People said exactly what you said about who needs those steels when you have CPM M4.

????
I don't think I said that.
Maybe I was in a fugue state and my alter-ego was typing.

What I THOUGHT I said was that I really like my previously favorite steels in my favorite knife models, so I don't feel compelled to jump on any bandwagons at this time. I have no feeling of urgency.

However, if I lose or destroy one of my existing knives, if a new model comes out, or if I just have a handful of cash that I feel like throwing at the knife dealer, then Magnacut will be near the top of my list.