Ist the phosphor bronze alloy of Spydercos washers technically a metal or not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Ist the phosphor bronze alloy of Spydercos washers technically a metal or not?

Post by Wartstein »

Quick and practically speaking totally irrelevant question:

- Does the phosphor bronze alloy of (Spydercos) washers technically count as a metal or not?

- Bronze alone IS a metal of course
- Phosphor alone is NOT
- But what about the alloy of the two?

Why am I asking?

Got a stainless steel handled Endura, and wondered if this knife is actually made 100% out of one single basic material ("metal").
The washers are the only part I can think of where I am not sure.

(I do hope Dr. Larrin will read this and reply... :smirk )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Accutron

Re: Ist the phosphor bronze alloy of Spydercos washers technically a metal or not?

Post by Accutron »

PB washers are over 99% copper and tin.
Xplorer

Re: Ist the phosphor bronze alloy of Spydercos washers technically a metal or not?

Post by Xplorer »

^ exactly. The amount of Phosphorus is 0.01% - 0.35%. It's basically just copper and tin.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
cali

Post by cali »

PB is metal alloy, similar to steel (that also contains nonmetal - carbon).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:03 am
PB washers are over 99% copper and tin.
Xplorer wrote: ^ exactly. The amount of Phosphorus is 0.01% - 0.35%. It's basically just copper and tin.
cali wrote: PB is metal alloy, similar to steel (that also contains nonmetal - carbon).
Thanks, guys, did not know that!

As said, practically speaking of no relevance at all, but still a knife made of basically just one single "material" ("metal", that´s very broadly speaking of course) is somehow cool and fascinating...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

If there is 1% carbon in VG10, and .35% phosphorous in the washers, there is more non-metallic stuff in the blade itself than in the washers.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Some good reading just grab a nice drink. Don't lay down when you read this.

https://www.copper.org/publications/new ... ronze.html

https://www.copper.org/resources/proper ... ronze.html

I am way out of my league here, but probably the same as saying adding Nitrogen to BD1. BD1N is still fully steel. The Nitrogen addition just allows for higher hardness.

CTS BD1N steel is made up of 0.85-0.95 Carbon, 1.0 Manganese, 0.30 Phosphorus, 0.01 Sulfur, 1.0 Silicon, 15.0-17.0 Chromium, 0.5 Molybdenum, and 0.10-0.15% Nitrogen.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:35 am

I am way out of my league here, but probably the same as saying adding Nitrogen to BD1. BD1N is still fully steel. The Nitrogen addition just allows for higher hardness.

CTS BD1N steel is made up of 0.85-0.95 Carbon, 1.0 Manganese, 0.30 Phosphorus, 0.01 Sulfur, 1.0 Silicon, 15.0-17.0 Chromium, 0.5 Molybdenum, and 0.10-0.15% Nitrogen.

Thanks for the infos and the links! :smiling-cheeks

In a hurry right now, but will read them later!

/ As said: Somehow the concept of a folder made of - very broadly taken - exclusively just "one material" ("metal") is cool, though of no practical relevance.
Even cooler would be "exclusively made out of steel", but this is were phosphor-bronce can´t be squeezed in anymore... ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The word order tells the story. The phosphor acts as an adjective describing the bronze. It is bronze metal with a bit of phosphor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

An all-steel folding knife with steel washers instead of bronze could be made to function, but why? Bronze on steel is inherently more slippery than steel on steel is. For a pivot washer, slippery is what you want. Another benefit is that the bronze washer, being softer than the steel, will take more of the wear where they touch. A washer is much cheaper to replace than a blade or a handle.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:14 am
An all-steel folding knife with steel washers instead of bronze could be made to function, but why? Bronze on steel is inherently more slippery than steel on steel is. For a pivot washer, slippery is what you want. Another benefit is that the bronze washer, being softer than the steel, will take more of the wear where they touch. A washer is much cheaper to replace than a blade or a handle.

100% agreed!

As said from the beginning: This has no practical background or implication!

It´s just when I got my stainless steel Endura I suddenly realized that this is probably as close as it get´s too "folder made of only one single "material" ".
I found the idea and concept of this fascinating in a way, but am actually glad of course that my Endura has phosphor bronze and not steel washers, no matter if it was a "knife wholly made out of steel" then...
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Do FRN Endura 4s have pivot washers? I thought they did not, or at least IIRC my Pac Salt II did not.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Pac Salt does not have washers or liners. The Endura/Endela/Delica line does have washers and liners.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

derangedhermit wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:12 pm
Do FRN Endura 4s have pivot washers? I thought they did not, or at least IIRC my Pac Salt II did not.

I think the stainless steel Endura has.. (not 100% sure though: This one is impossible to disassemble)
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:29 pm
derangedhermit wrote:
I think the stainless steel Endura has.. (not 100% sure though: This one is impossible to disassemble)
I think the trend is that metal-on-metal pivots get washers and metal-on-FRN pivots do not. Metal-on-G10 - I could check my Native Chief, but I think it has washers. I guess the thinking is the FRN is pretty low friction, so it works OK, and the knife blade will wear out before the FRN around the pivot does. I don't know how often that will be prove to be correct.

I can't help feeling that making a recessed space for "real" pivot bushings in the FRN would show an emphasis on purposeful longevity (as well as smooth operation) for Spyderco knives, even ones with linerless FRN grip panels.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:29 pm
derangedhermit wrote:

Not impossible to disassemble, but reassembly requires considerable skill.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was under the impression that stainless handles knives don't use washers, otherwise you'd see the gaps between the blade and handle slabs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:23 pm
The Pac Salt does not have washers or liners. The Endura/Endela/Delica line does have washers and liners.
So, too, the non-XL Stretches.

I do wish the XL had been linered and washered like its overbuilt brethren, but I guess saltwater is in its future (as is, the Pac Salt is my go-to for that environment).
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:35 am

Great links. I love that nerd stuff
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:18 am
JSumm wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:23 pm
So, too, the non-XL Stretches.

I do wish the XL had been linered and washered like its overbuilt brethren, but I guess saltwater is in its future (as is, the Pac Salt is my go-to for that environment).
Why do you say that? I’m only asking as I was wondering about replacing my frn P4 with a Stretch XL.