Lanyard Hole In Spyderco Models: Important Or Not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Lanyard Hole In Spyderco Models: Important Or Not?

Post by JD Spydo »

First off I say it for the record; I personally do believe that every Spyderco model without exception should be equipped with a "lanyard hole". Because at times I've used lanyards I've found them to be advantageous for a few reasons.

One of my all time favorite Spyderco folders which is the C-44 Dyad model ( the large one) is not equipped with a lanyard hole>> and I've found that a problem on two occasions. I've also stated for the record that if Sal & Co were to bring out a new rendition of the C-44 Dyad ( or something similar) then please by all means put a lanyard hole on the new one.

OK with all that said I think it's fair to say that lanyard holes are just as important as the pocket clips and opening holes have proven to be. I think lanyard holes are so important for 2 reasons. (1): If you had duty at sea or on a lake, River or working around any body of water you should have your favorite Spyder secured by a lanyard. (2): There are several proven safety and convenience aspects of having a lanyard.

I want to hear everyone else's thoughts on the importance of Spyderco models being equipped with lanyard holes. It would also be nice to hear some testimonies on the advantages of using lanyards in certain situations. It's time we have a full discussion about lanyards holes on Spyderco models and the use of lanyards in general.
Woodpuppy

Re: Lanyard Hole In Spyderco Models: Important Or Not?

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like lanyards on some knives. Those used around water and those so small the lanyard helps provide extra grip. But I would disagree that all Spyderco’s should have a lanyard hole. I don’t need every knife I have to be able to be pressed into service where a lanyard would be useful. I have enough knives that I can choose a mission specific knife. I might agree that all Salts and rescue/climbing knives should have a lanyard hole. But not “dress” knives.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i always thought they should, but mostly because they do and it's what i'm used to. however, as stated in the other thread, i almost always find lanyards to get in my way and end up never using them.

my yojimbo doesn't have a lanyard hold and since a lot of people that defend lanyards seem to think they need them to deploy a knife quickly, you'd think that it would be something that belongs there. however, i don't miss it at all. a lanyard is more of a liability than a help in self-defense, in my opinion. that's because it can stop the deployment of the weapon if it falls over the blade and because it is going to move around, which makes for a less consistent grab when you're trying to remove it from your pocket.

i also thought long and hard about how i could rig up my pacific salt to a lanyard and sling for swimming in the ocean. i didn't want to lose my knife in the water. every idea i came up with presented me with more dangers than i was willing to chance. i'd rather lose a knife than get caught up in rocks or something while swimming.

basically, i don't have a problem with lanyard holes, but i don't find them necessary. i also don't care about deep carry, but i don't like when a clip is poorly placed in favor of a lanyard hold. the manix is basically perfect in this sense because the clip is where it should be and the lanyard hole is completely out of the way, but still there for anyone that wants it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have only ever had a clipped knife come out of my pocket three times that I can recall. Two instances were the result of the clip clipping itself to something nearby and getting lifted out of my pocket. Once I can’t explain; the knife came out of my pocket and dropped onto the part of my office chair that holds the back onto the seat. It rode there for a solid year until I found it while adjusting the chair! Swim suits or shorts with draw strings hold a knife on the waistband very well, as it it were made for this. Have never had a problem with this.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:44 am
It rode there for a solid year until I found it while adjusting the chair!
i know that feeling. it's like winning the lottery or something. i've had a few long lost knives show back up in strange places.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Unless it's likely to be used around water or is very short and benefits from the added grip, I see very little use for lanyards on a folding knife. If it's a salt or ladybug sized, throw a lanyard hole on it. Otherwise it's just wasted space/cost at best and compromises design/clip placement at worst.

I find fixed blades often benefit from a loop lanyard, particularly if you are going to chop with it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:35 am
i always thought they should, but mostly because they do and it's what i'm used to. however, as stated in the other thread, i almost always find lanyards to get in my way and end up never using them.

my yojimbo doesn't have a lanyard hold and since a lot of people that defend lanyards seem to think they need them to deploy a knife quickly, you'd think that it would be something that belongs there. however, i don't miss it at all. a lanyard is more of a liability than a help in self-defense, in my opinion. that's because it can stop the deployment of the weapon if it falls over the blade and because it is going to move around, which makes for a less consistent grab when you're trying to remove it from your pocket.

i also thought long and hard about how i could rig up my pacific salt to a lanyard and sling for swimming in the ocean. i didn't want to lose my knife in the water. every idea i came up with presented me with more dangers than i was willing to chance. i'd rather lose a knife than get caught up in rocks or something while swimming.

basically, i don't have a problem with lanyard holes, but i don't find them necessary. i also don't care about deep carry, but i don't like when a clip is poorly placed in favor of a lanyard hold. the manix is basically perfect in this sense because the clip is where it should be and the lanyard hole is completely out of the way, but still there for anyone that wants it.
I can't even blank any of what you just said as I normally do in my responses. Because you weren't rambling or being redundant at all and everything you said is spot on. Almost everyone of those thoughts went through my head right after I posted this thread.

I guess it's fair for me to say that even though they might be necessary to use maybe 20% of the time I still want them to be there.... It's like of like the old adage >> "I Would Rather Have It And Not Need It, Than To Need It And Not Have It"<<<>>

I will say this when the occasion arises when I do need a lanyard hole>> I do indeed NEED IT. And with so many Spyderco knives being used in people's occupations that also necessitates the need for lanyard holes in many cases.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t use them and couldn’t care less about them. The only knife I have ever put one on was a ladybug. Technically that was a fob and not a lanyard though.

Most of what I see people calling a lanyard is actually a fob. Lanyard holes are used more often to add “flair” to a knife than to attach a knife to yourself to prevent loss. Considering how ocd many knife geeks are, especially the ones who add fobs and beads, I’m surprised that this is such a common mistake.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't use lanyards but don't mind that they're on almost all the models I have
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If a hole in a knife bothers you, you need to change brands…

A lanyard hole on a Spydie is no eyesore to me. While I don’t put fobs/lanyards on my Spydies anymore, I like having the option, as when I’m worried that the knife is at risk of getting lost.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I have no need for them and knives that have them tend to make the clip placement suboptimal for deeper carry. They should at the very least be secondary to clip placement in priority of design.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It depends on the knife and what I’m going to be doing with it. If I were on a boat, or swimming in the ocean with a knife, or out in the wilderness where I wouldn’t want to lose it, then I’d most likely want to secure it to me with para cord (to a belt loop or whatever) to prevent losing it.

Do I use a lanyard (or fob) as a decoration, or as a handle to grab and pull it out of my pocket? NO.

Do I think every Spyderco absolutely needs a lanyard hole? No. None of my Police models has a lanyard hole, and that’s fine with me. If I’m ever going to be in a situation where I feel I may need to secure my knife to me, I would simply carry a model (of which there are many) that has that feature.

Jim
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I've come to like, and even prefer lanyards fobs over pocket clips on some of the smaller knives. I did not see that one coming just a few years back, so I guess nothing about knives and preferences is carved in stone.

Small knives (Dfly and smaller) is the only use case I have for lanyards fobs in my current situation. Even the risk of loosing a knife isn't likely to make me bother with lanyards on bigger knives. Not until it becomes a safety issue, i.e. dropped objects when working at height, climbing or similar. Which I used to do quite regularly some time ago. In that specific job (mostly offshore or coastal), if I was to do it today, I would probably carry a Salt knife for rust resistance or something from the Tenacious line for its expendableness. Depending on the situation. Lanyards where mandatory on all tools when climbing/working at height, so having tools with attachment points was of course crucial.

So there is obviously a case to be made for lanyard holes, and while I have my ideas about where they make sense, others may think differently. So there probably isn't a clear cut case as to where they are important or not. What I do think a majority of users can agree on, is that it rarely makes sense to prioritize lanyard hole placement over clip placement. It may not be what happened, but it feels like that's what happened in the evolution from PM2 to P3 and similarly from Techno 1 to Techno 2, and probably a few others as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Essential on Ladybug/Manbug/Bug family and anything I might put on keys for obvious reasons but the rest I could probably live without entirely and not miss them. If they don't get in the way I suppose it's not a bad thing to have the option just in case but they do often seem to compromise clip position in some way. I thought the barrel screw clip was a brilliant solution for this but it sadly went away.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I do not use lanyards on any knives, personally.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Most or all of my Spyderco folding knives have lanyard holes. They seem like a handy feature with no major downside. However, I never attach a lanyard or fob to any of them. It still seems handy, though! I can see them being silly on a gentleman’s knife.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:55 am
Most of what I see people calling a lanyard is actually a fob. Lanyard holes are used more often to add “flair” to a knife than to attach a knife to yourself to prevent loss. Considering how ocd many knife geeks are, especially the ones who add fobs and beads, I’m surprised that this is such a common mistake.
Well said Darby; I'm fully with you! After all these years of liking knives, I think it's time to rename the lanyard hole ... :thinking ... fob hole.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

The only time I’ve taken advantage of a lanyard hole is on the Calypso Jr. I removed the pocket clip and used a fob instead. This allowed me to carry the knife tip-up, which I wouldn’t have been able to do otherwise.

Other than that, clipped carry suits me just fine.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Lanyard holes are nice to have but not that important, given that pocket clips can essentially serve this purpose if there's a hole in their design - and it's often the case.

I can only imagine lanyard holes being crucial to those who carry their knives without a pocket clip.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Another good thread from Joe!

I like the lanyard holes but on a knife that meets my other needs a lack of one won't stop me from the purchase. I am getting to the point that I won't buy too many knives that don't have backlocks. It would need to be pretty exceptional. That is getting to be as close to a line in the sand as I get.

:)