Tim Zowada

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
danzomekahiro

Tim Zowada

Post by danzomekahiro »

Hi folks

Somehow this model had slipped through my radar but I saw it today, fell in love and have ordered one. Any opinions? As I am importing it to Merrie England and will pay $29 postage and get stung by customs for about $40 I would appreciate it if you lie to me if it is a big pile of poo. Which I doubt.

Thanks

Dan
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Dan,

It's a great knife. It's almost dagger like in the way the blade comes to a point, but with a single edge. It's light and small enough to carry on a regular basis if you want to. The G10 is well done. This is one of my favorites ... It's well worth it.
SR
Tech a Billy

Post by Tech a Billy »

Hi Dan,
Bought mine on sight alone, as well. When I first held it, I was amazed at how good it felt. Smooth action, beautifully made and it fit my hand perfectly. I believe the handles are micarta. I'll bet you'll be pleased.

Edited by - Tech a Billy on 8/29/2003 8:51:40 PM
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Oops ... Just went to the war chest .. and you're right .. It's bead blasted Micarta. I'll eat my G10 comment....
SR
danzomekahiro

Post by danzomekahiro »

Stevie,forgive my 'old country' ignorance but does that make a difference? I thought micarta was some sort of ceramic stuff!
swede

Post by swede »

Hi Dan,

No big pile of poo! You got a great knife. The Zowada is slick, and the micarta is grippy (not shiny). I think you'll love it.

Dave
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Dan, Here's the Spyderco definition for Micarta ... "A composite of linen or paper fabric in an epoxy resin that provides light weight, durability and visual appeal. Can be bead blasted for a matte finish or highly polished to a glossy finish." Dan, .. you'll like the knife .... I promise ....
SR
toothed

Post by toothed »

The Zowada is a nice design that also carries comfortably in your pocket. Did you get the "old" or "new" model?
swede

Post by swede »

toothed,

What's the difference?

Dave
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

Old model was AUS-8,new is VG-10. Nice knife,slick action. Like a pointier Viele. Some places in the States squawk about the shape of the blade and consider it a dagger. Check local laws before carrying.

Wow. $69 just in shipping costs. Just curious,where'd you get it? I've gotten stuff off eBay from Poland and Hong Kong and never dropped that much dosh on transit.

Edited by - dynaryder on 8/29/2003 10:45:56 PM
danzomekahiro

Post by danzomekahiro »

Hi Dynarider

From Knifecenter.com. They accept international credit card orders and get stuff to England in five days. The Customs duty is random and you can get lucky and they won't hit on you! I use ebay here but I am not keen on paypal (nor is my computer!)which makes ordering from the US/Canada difficult, plus a lot of sellers say they only ship to CONUS. Sadly it can be cheaper to pay US discount prices+shipping+customs duty than to buy here! Eek!
danzomekahiro

Post by danzomekahiro »

and its a plain edge. I think it is an 'old' model, perhaps with zytel handles. It isn't on Knifecenters Spydie page, you have to put Tim Zowada in the 'search'. I guess it may be the ones left in stock after deletion.
danzomekahiro

Post by danzomekahiro »

Oh and dynarider, you from here originally? 'Dosh' is a very this side of the pond word!
danzomekahiro

Post by danzomekahiro »

D'oh! its '...ryder' with a 'y'. Big sorries!
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

All the Zowadas were micarta. I looked it up and it's the older AUS-8.

For eBay,I've always used PayPal or BidPay w/no probs. Personally,I'd have done a Google search first. Although going from pounds to dollars your money prolly goes further.

I'm in the USAF,was stationed at RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge for 2yrs. I tend to pick up expressions from places I've been. Plus,I got into the Brit moto mags while I was over there and still pick them up from B&N,so I'm still exposed to the lingo.
danzomekahiro

Post by danzomekahiro »

Yeah, I did a couple of searches and it was a pretty good deal. There is also that 'trust' thing when you recieve good service. I'm pretty confident it will arrive!
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

Dan,

I think you'll be pleased with the Zowada. I would rate it in the top five smoooothest Spydies that I own.
I like the look of the coffin shaped handle and it's also very comfortable in the hand. The blade is nice and pointy, just right for removing splinters.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Bruceter
nick

Post by nick »

you could have phoned heinnie haynes in wales and save a bit of money. they have one in stock.
nick.
danzomekahiro

Post by danzomekahiro »

Nick

Bother! I order from Heinnies regularly, got my PE Native from them recently. I did a search on their site but came up zilch. Oh well, it won't be much of a difference.... please...
v34

Post by v34 »

I have a small collection of NIB Spydies which I'm culling at the moment if the Brits here want to gang up against the Customs goons.