Pacific Salt talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Pacific Salt talk

Post by Matus »

This is an awesome thread.

I am still dancing around the Pacific Salt 2 knives, pondering whether I want one and if yes what version. Sadly, I don't have the option to check them in person, so that makes it a bit harder.

Anyhow - I noticed the following when comparing the grinds of the PE and SE in LC200N and H1. With both steels the edge (judging on the width of the bevel at the tip) the SE seems to be ground thicker behind the edge (before the scallops are ground in), but on the H1 this seems to be more pronounced. I am wondering - is it just an effect of actual thickness behind the edge, or are the edge angles different and this makes the edge bevel on the SE versions wider?
Pacific_Salt_Grind.JPG
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love, and have loved my multiple Pacific Salts. The somewhat frequent comments about blade play have paused my purchase of a new LC200N model. I still want one, but I want it to be solid like always.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Matus wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:26 am

I am still dancing around the Pacific Salt 2 knives, pondering whether I want one and if yes what version. Sadly, I don't have the option to check them in person, so that makes it a bit harder.

Anyhow - I noticed the following when comparing the grinds of the PE and SE in LC200N and H1. With both steels the edge (judging on the width of the bevel at the tip) the SE seems to be ground thicker behind the edge (before the scallops are ground in), but on the H1 this seems to be more pronounced. I am wondering - is it just an effect of actual thickness behind the edge, or are the edge angles different and this makes the edge bevel on the SE versions wider?

Pacific_Salt_Grind.JPG
I'm curious if it has anything to do with H1 being hollow ground and LC200N FFG.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:51 am
Matus wrote:

Pacific_Salt_Grind.JPG
I'm curious if it has anything to do with H1 being hollow ground and LC200N FFG.
That’s a good question . Would you be able to compare at the shop you go to ? Actually have no problem staying with the H1 if I go to SE in the future . My theory is they should be identical around the pivot area , I really can’t see how that area would be different , but I could be wrong . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:10 am
JSumm wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:51 am
Matus wrote:

Pacific_Salt_Grind.JPG
That’s a good question . Would you be able to compare at the shop you go to ? Actually have no problem staying with the H1 if I go to SE in the future . My theory is they should be identical around the pivot area , I really can’t see how that area would be different , but I could be wrong . MG2
My local shop doesn't have any unfortunately. We would need someone with calipers to check BTE thickness on both. You are right, pivot area should be the same.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I agree , calipers would be the proper answer to the question . I need to back to bed , I’m sleep typing ! MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:23 am
I agree , calipers would be the proper answer to the question . I need to back to bed , I’m sleep typing ! MG2
Ha Ha. It's early where you are. I'm still on the fence. I don't need a salt knife, but like the linerless approach and love the Endura. I have a bunch of feelers out for the upcoming Stretch XL. That may be a great option for those who want the linerless, but don't need the full salt version. 🤔
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Does anyone know if Spyderco plans to release a Pacific Salt 2 Wharncliffe in LC200n?
R100

Post by R100 »

Matus wrote:

Pacific_Salt_Grind.JPG
I have a Pac Salt 2 and Salt 2 in SE LC200N and they both have this narrow bevel when compared to my H1 models. The bad news is that it is because of the very obtuse bevel of these knives. It takes literally thousands of passes on the CBN rods to get the LC200N to the same angle as the H1 models and by then the bevels are much wider than they started out.

This phenomenon is well illustrated if you look at a UKPK Salt. These, or mine at least, are ground to a very acute angle and consequently have a wide bevel. As many have pointed out, this makes them about the sliciest SE knife available. Be alarmed, not happy when you see the narrow bevel, it will cut poorly and steer badly until a lot of work goes into reprofiling. At least, that is my experience.

Dan
Matus

Post by Matus »

R100 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:11 pm

I have a Pac Salt 2 and Salt 2 in SE LC200N and they both have this narrow bevel when compared to my H1 models. The bad news is that it is because of the very obtuse bevel of these knives. It takes literally thousands of passes on the CBN rods to get the LC200N to the same angle as the H1 models and by then the bevels are much wider than they started out.

This phenomenon is well illustrated if you look at a UKPK Salt. These, or mine at least, are ground to a very acute angle and consequently have a wide bevel. As many have pointed out, this makes them about the sliciest SE knife available. Be alarmed, not happy when you see the narrow bevel, it will cut poorly and steer badly until a lot of work goes into reprofiling. At least, that is my experience.

Dan
Thanks a lot Dan, really appreciate this. The angle of edge bevel is indeed something one just can not judge from photos and it is not a specification that is stated anywhere.

However it also begs for a question - why is the Pac Salt in LC200N ground under a more obtuse angle that is H1. Is that an inevitable compromise to compensate for the tinner-close-to-the-edge grind of the FFG relative to the partial hollow grind?

And you also answered a question I did not even ask - how is changing the angle of the edge bevel on a sharpmaker (I only have standard brown and white rods - sadly I have sold the CBN rods as it turned out that they were to slow for this kind of job on a PE edge knife - tried to get small Sebenza from 20 to 15 deg, long story that ended on a ceramic water stone). I am considering to get the CBN rods again, but 'thousands passes' just to get the edge bevel angle I would prefer the knife would have out of the box, does not sound encouraging. But hey, I am not against finding out that H1 is the better place to start :)
R100

Post by R100 »

Hello Matus, my H1 knives are the older first versions - Pac Salt 1 and Salt 1. I can't really speak to the edge angle on a Pac Salt 2 but I'm sure others can.

Even after the big reprofiling job on the LC200N Pac Salt 2 I far prefer my H1 Pac Salt. The difference in slicing ability is minimal and at the same edge angle I have found edge retention to be similar with the H1 being a bit more resistant to damage. The heavier hollow ground blade feels much more resistant to abuse and I prefer the balance. This knife lives in my bike jacket and has been up to any task I've put it to.

The reprofiling job is a big one and requires the CBN or diamond rods. If you don't want to deal with this I would definitely recommend the H1 Pac Salt for a larger/normal size knife and a UKPK Salt as a smaller knife. That way you get all the benefits of SE without the work. If you don't need to reprofile, the Spyderco ceramic rods work perfectly to maintain a hair popping edge with minimal work.

Dan
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thank you again Dan, it really helps to know what to expect. I am starting to lean towards the H1 Pac Salt.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can back up everything Dan said.

I tried the LC versions and while they're nice, I've come to prefer the H1's. They're still very light and cut well, and I don't see a drastic edge holding difference between the two, especially SE.

The H1's feel a little better when opening and closing due to the heavier blade. The tip feels more robust.

They're both really nice knives that fill my EDC role perfectly, but if I buy any more Pacific Salts it'll be H1 versions.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:03 pm
I can back up everything Dan said.

I tried the LC versions and while they're nice, I've come to prefer the H1's. They're still very light and cut well, and I don't see a drastic edge holding difference between the two, especially SE.

The H1's feel a little better when opening and closing due to the heavier blade. The tip feels more robust.

They're both really nice knives that fill my EDC role perfectly, but if I buy any more Pacific Salts it'll be H1 versions.
I couldn’t agree more , if you had asked me that question a month ago I would have said no way . I have grown to like the Pacific Salt H1 very much . Definitely see a SE model in my future and also want to add a Dragonfly SE instead of my PE into my daily carry .I need to explore SE in the near future. Thanks for all your assistance vivi . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think i said this already, but i also had edge damage (slight rolling) on my se caribbean while my pacific salt in se h1 had no damage on the same material. it may have been a fluke, or a problem with the way i made the cut, but it happened and it's a data point.

i'm not getting rid of my caribbean any time soon because it's a great knife, but i also generally prefer h1 with a hollow grind and serrations over a flat-ground lc200n with serrations.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Matus

Post by Matus »

Because of this thread I replaced the LC200N with the H1 on my candidate SE list.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I just picked up an LC200N PAC Salt. It is the perfect knife for gardening. The length allows me to get around thorny berry bushes and I am not worried about hosing it down when I am done. The visibility is also clutch for finding it when i put it down .

It is so light and easy to handle for a knife of its size. I really like the little dip that it has on the backlock button as well as the smooth frn under the pocket clip. The subtle details of the knife are great. The Clip and back spacer is a different material from the Native Salt (golden ) . I first noticed this on the 3 inch salt and now the pac salt. It is a lighter material that seems a bit more textured. Does anyone know if the native salt and the seki salts use the same type of metal for the clip and spacer?
Just one more knife...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The seki salt hourglass clips are titanium. Caribbeans clip is also titanium.
Im pretty sure the native salt clip is dlc coated stainless. Its definitely magnetic.

I also think all of spydercos wire clips are stainless as well.

The backspacer on the seki salts isnt actually a backspacer since its a 2 piece handle and not a 2 piece handle plus a backspacer. You may just be feeling the difference between Seki frn and Golden frn/frcp.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Thanks. The titanium clips are really nice and lightweight.
Just one more knife...
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:10 am
The seki salt hourglass clips are titanium. Caribbeans clip is also titanium.
Im pretty sure the native salt clip is dlc coated stainless. Its definitely magnetic.

I also think all of spydercos wire clips are stainless as well.

The backspacer on the seki salts isnt actually a backspacer since its a 2 piece handle and not a 2 piece handle plus a backspacer. You may just be feeling the difference between Seki frn and Golden frn/frcp.
Do you think the Pacific Salt clip in Titanium is also DLC ? MG2
Henry David Thoreau