Pacific Salt talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
u.w.

Re: Pacific Salt talk

Post by u.w. »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:16 pm

.... Even run some of my chef knives at those grits!
hahaha, smiled and laughed when I read that.
On my Cold Steel Roach Belly knife, which I have thinned the hollow almost completely out of and use maybe more than any other small-ish knife in my home kitchen; I run a 260 grit edge, and have been doing so for a year or more now.
As soon as I put it on whatever, it just sticks/grabs/bites, and CUTS.
Handle is a little small, but in the pinch grip I usually am using it's not so noticeable, and works pretty dang good.
And to continue the 'sidebar' - for anyone interested in a Roach Belly knife, Spyderco's Bow River is indeed that. Nearly identical to the CS Roach Belly in profile, but of course Spyderco.

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yep, the coarse edge is nice for certain kitchen applications.

Making a 80lb batch of pico? There won't be a single time the edge will slip on the tomatoes, no matter how soft they are.

Cutting bread? Coarse PE chef knife will outcut a lot of dedicated bread knives.

Slicing a case of raw chicken breast into tenders? Doubt you'll find a better tool for the job.

Of course polished edges are going to work better for a lot of culinary cuts as well. Mincing garlic or herbs ,or julienne slicing a 40lb case of onions, polished is superior.
:unicorn
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I sharpen mine to a coarse edge and hone with a kitchen steel, quick and easy. In a way I feel like the strop is too fancy for this one. I use it mostly for cutting HDPE, wood, rope, and junk.

IMG_20220117_115905693_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks all.

What I'm thinking is reprofile it to about 12dps on my KME up to the 300-grit diamond stone, then use the brown rods in the 30* slots on the Sharpmaker to clean up the edge.

I'm still fairly new - but does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Thanks,
Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:40 am
Thanks all.

What I'm thinking is reprofile it to about 12dps on my KME up to the 300-grit diamond stone, then use the brown rods in the 30* slots on the Sharpmaker to clean up the edge.

Thanks,
Jason
Sounds like a good plan.

However, try to minimize the burr as best you can on the 300 grit stone, then try using the knife on different materials like that. You may surprise yourself with how well it cuts as is.

Then try just one stroke per side on the sharpmaker at the settings you describe.

If you sharpen a knife on a 300 grit diamond stone then run the edge of your thumbnail along the apex, you'll notice it feels rough and gritty.

The idea is to keep the edge feeling rough and gritty. Stropping once or twice per side or using the sharpmaker for one stroke per side is a good combo. It will refine that coarse edge without eliminating all those microserrations.

However, even going up to 3 or 4 strokes per side on the sharpmaker can be enough to make the apex feel smooth and polished, so exercise caution.

Of course a thinner, polished edge will still cut better than the thicker factory edge, but I think H1 really shines with this specific combination of coarse apex and thin bevel. That's how I'm able to go 6 weeks to 2 months without sharpening my PE Pacific.
:unicorn
yogibearal

Post by yogibearal »

I just gifted a full SE Pacific Salt 1 H1 from my collection, with older style scales that had a more squared back end. The knife stays on the boat, so I get to use it too. :) Comes in handy for the myriads of ropes and fishing lines we use aboard. Mostly salt water but it gets rinsed after each use. I figured it'd do more good being used than sitting in my cabinet. Been a great go to knife. Came in handy when leaded crab pot rope got stuck and wound around the prop of his kicker motor. We salvaged the crabs and crab pot, but the rope was too Tangled up and had to be cut. This knife made quick work off it with the serrated edge.
Last edited by yogibearal on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:07 pm
I sharpen mine to a coarse edge and hone with a kitchen steel, quick and easy. In a way I feel like the strop is too fancy for this one. I use it mostly for cutting HDPE, wood, rope, and junk.

IMG_20220117_115905693_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
HDPE seems so unhappy about being cut.
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 12.14.42 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 12.14.42 PM.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

This is why I keep coming back. Fresh perspective. :grin-squint
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:10 am
Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:40 am
Thanks all.

Thanks,
Jason
Sounds like a good plan.

However, try to minimize the burr as best you can on the 300 grit stone, then try using the knife on different materials like that. You may surprise yourself with how well it cuts as is.

Then try just one stroke per side on the sharpmaker at the settings you describe.

If you sharpen a knife on a 300 grit diamond stone then run the edge of your thumbnail along the apex, you'll notice it feels rough and gritty.

The idea is to keep the edge feeling rough and gritty. Stropping once or twice per side or using the sharpmaker for one stroke per side is a good combo. It will refine that coarse edge without eliminating all those microserrations.

However, even going up to 3 or 4 strokes per side on the sharpmaker can be enough to make the apex feel smooth and polished, so exercise caution.

Of course a thinner, polished edge will still cut better than the thicker factory edge, but I think H1 really shines with this specific combination of coarse apex and thin bevel. That's how I'm able to go 6 weeks to 2 months without sharpening my PE Pacific.
Thanks for the additional details; I'll go with that.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageHi everyone! Did my test today at 320 grit . All I can say I’m impressed, factory edge count was 169 , I stopped at 333 following same guidelines as before . I started to notice a bit of drag and stopped . I’m just a novice when it comes to sharpening and want to expand my knowledge. I think this exercise is a good start to learn more . I want to thank vivi and all of you who made suggestions . I still have to early February to carry and resharpen. Sorry I keep posting the Pacific pics . Really like this knife . Blade post next . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageNeeds to be cleaned and resharpened . My favorite blade style on Endura type knives . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think my next knife will be the LC200N PS2. You all have inspired me yet again.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:18 pm
I think my next knife will be the LC200N PS2. You all have inspired me yet again.
Jeff inspiration comes from vivi , I take no credit but much appreciated buddy . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I just spent way more time than what I intended to do reading through this thread, and each link included, and watching the videos. Like many others, I’m grateful for the time and effort put in and the thoughts shared here.

I was attracted to a few points in this. The H1 steel points, the salt series, and the low grit. I ran into someone talking about the benefits of a lower grit edge a while back but nowhere near this detailed and I am glad I was able to read Vivi’s results. Very much appreciate it all.

My first realization of how much high polished edges just weren’t my thing was when I bought lapping films for my KME. yes the edge was beautiful. But the hair popping sharpness lasted what seemed like moments. I had enough info to know I preferred a lower grit, and went back to 600 or 800. But I didn’t think about going even lower. And I didn’t understand the reasoning like I see it now.

I’ve gotten to liking freehanding more now (not good yet, but learning) but only have the medium and fine spyderco ceramics stones. After reading this I’ll be picking up coarse diamond stones and giving it a shot. And I see a salt series in the future too now. For now I will try out a coarse vg10 delica.

Very much enjoyed what was shared here. Thanks again.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Today since we are having subzero weather the next two days , I am fully submerging the Pacific Salt in water outside to test function after I thaw it out . I will post a photo later . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I know this is Pacific Salt Talk, but this thread has inspired me with lower grit sharpening. I have been finishing my K390 on 320 Diamond Plate and like it a lot. Specifically, how easily and fast you can get to a good edge. It is very aggressive. Also, using 2 diamond paste strops (thanks Vivi) to complete.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I got my new pac salt 2 “black/black” or “murdered out” whatever term you like in PE h1 today and this is my 4th new model salt, with lock rock and a totally loose pivot screw right out of the box. I originally bought a PE and SE lc200n version and a salt 2 (delica size) SE wharncliffe. All of them have had the same issues.
I’m glad I still have some OG salt knives (not a single one had any of these issues after years of use let alone out the box) cuz this is kinda leaving me sour on the new salt line. I never had to tighten a single screw on the old ones and they are all rock solid. A few may have developed the minor classic back lock play but nothing like these 4 brand new ones have right out of the box. Let alone pivot screws I didn’t need a torx for, I could unwind it with my index finger.
For the prices these days, that is inexcusable. That’s almost $500 spent and every knife had the same problem.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:42 pm
I got my new pac salt 2 “black/black” or “murdered out” whatever term you like in PE h1 today and this is my 4th new model salt, with lock rock and a totally loose pivot screw right out of the box. I originally bought a PE and SE lc200n version and a salt 2 (delica size) SE wharncliffe. All of them have had the same issues.
I’m glad I still have some OG salt knives (not a single one had any of these issues after years of use let alone out the box) cuz this is kinda leaving me sour on the new salt line. I never had to tighten a single screw on the old ones and they are all rock solid. A few may have developed the minor classic back lock play but nothing like these 4 brand new ones have right out of the box. Let alone pivot screws I didn’t need a torx for, I could unwind it with my index finger.
For the prices these days, that is inexcusable. That’s almost $500 spent and every knife had the same problem.
I’m sorry to hear this , mine came to me basically in perfect condition . The pivot was just a bit tight but had been properly lubed . So I opened and closed sitting in garage and slowly got better with just a tiny bit of resistance. I have only very lightly lubed the pivot after submerging in water to solid ice after I blew it out with air . Opening action and lock were exactly the same which I really expected but was curious. I plan to buy another in LC200N sometime this Summer but on the fence what blade and if I will go SE . I will keep in mind your post . Thank you . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

So many points of view is really educating. I'm on Island, and I find myself continually going back to a serrated H1 Pacific 2. It just does everything well.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:03 pm
I'm on Island
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin