Pacific Salt talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jason Paul

Re: Pacific Salt talk

Post by Jason Paul »

Well as a quick update I got the Pacific Salt 2 PE in H-1 for Christmas.

In fact - this was a gift from my mother, who ended up ordering one for herself too. She figured she needed a good pocketknife and knew if I was getting one it was probably a good one, so she just ordered herself the same thing. Of course, she didn't realize how big it is, so we'll see. She may end up giving it to her husband, and maybe I'll point her to a regular Salt 2 since the Delica size is probably more suitable for her.

Anyway - she had both Pacific Salt 2's delivered directly to me, so I got them both. They practically look identical and I didn't see any flaws. Both centered, strong lock-up, and no blade play in any direction for either of them. They're also both super sharp out of the box. One has just a little bit of FRN flashing at a couple of the the unused clip screw holes; nothing to complain about at all.

I do see the noticeable difference between the H-1 and the LC200N versions due to the grind. The H-1 version has a noticeably heavier blade, which makes for a different action. I remember seeing Vivi's comment about this (here or another thread), and I can see why. This makes it feel (and look) more robust, and brings a notable difference in action as well.

I haven't really used it much yet beyond testing it out on some paper.

Also - I'm one who has said the Endura/Pacific Salt 2's handle doesn't work well for me; the common issue of the finger bumps in the wrong place. That said, I've also seen a handful of comments from people who felt that way, then warmed up to it, and have actually grown to like it. I've been handling it, and think I may be warming up to it as well. To start with, it's not really bad per se, just not as melt-in-the-hand as some other models. But with a little use and accrued familiarity, we'll see.

It does carry well in the pocket too.

Anyway - I figured I'd post a quick update, and give this thread a little bump.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hi vivi ! I ordered a Pacific Salt PE all black yesterday and once it arrives I going to take the 30 day pocket trial . I watched testing on blade coatings and decided to try a black blade and see what happens . I’m going to set aside my Dragonfly Salt and carry the the Pacific in right pocket . This will keep my left pocket free for rotation. Once Pacific comes in plan to run it until dull and then resharpen. If you disagree with this approach please let me know . Thanks again for all of this information . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:38 am
Hi vivi ! I ordered a Pacific Salt PE all black yesterday and once it arrives I going to take the 30 day pocket trial . I watched testing on blade coatings and decided to try a black blade and see what happens . I’m going to set aside my Dragonfly Salt and carry the the Pacific in right pocket . This will keep my left pocket free for rotation. Once Pacific comes in plan to run it until dull and then resharpen. If you disagree with this approach please let me know . Thanks again for all of this information . MG2
Hi MG2,

I'm not vivi of course, but I did do the "one month/30 day challenge" with a low grit edge finish, and thinned edge profile back in July? August? also.
That month of carrying and using nothing but the H1 plain edge Pac Salt w/ the low grit edge finish, and thinned behind the edge thickness absolutely won me over on just how good H1 can be.
Zero complaints from me after that month of carrying & using only it.
In fact, like vivi has written, I don't see much "need" for any other pocket knife after doing that.

I like knives though, different steels, designs, etc... and I put'em to use too... so I have and use more than the plain edge H1 PacSalt.
I would not feel "under-knifed" at all if all I had was the PE H1 PacSalt though.

I really liked the 260 grit edge finish on mine.

Thin it, apex it a time or two, fully/completely de-burr it, and let'er rip!

Based on vivi's findings, and my own as well, I think you're gonna come away at the end of the month liking PE H1.

u.w.

edited cuz eye not grammarh gooder...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

u.w. wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:26 am
In fact, like vivi has written, I don't see much "need" for any other pocket knife after doing that.

I like knives though, different steels, designs, etc... and I put'em to use too...
this is exactly how i feel about my pacific salt h1 se. i could absolutely get by with that knife and a pe fixed blade for outdoor uses and be totally happy.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:37 am
u.w. wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:26 am

I like knives though, different steels, designs, etc... and I put'em to use too...
this is exactly how i feel about my pacific salt h1 se. i could absolutely get by with that knife and a pe fixed blade for outdoor uses and be totally happy.
Same here.
As a matter of fact the folder I pair most often with an outdoor PE fixed blade IS exactly my H1 Pac Salt SE.
Don´t know about H1 in PE, never tried, but generally "low-grit-inspired-by-Vivi" (which in my case means just using the CBN rods of the sharpmaker, sometimes finished with one or two light passes per side on the whites) works great on my VG10, S35VN, S30V... PE folders
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Been enjoying reading about others experiences with low grit H1!

I chose my Military again today over the Pacific, but like we've been mentioning I could easily go with just a PE Pacific for my pocket knife.

In fact in the community sharpening journal there was a post about hair splitting sharpness with a maxamet para 3. Makes me want to try to challenge myself to make a video where I slice into steel to ruin my edge, then get back to hair splitting sharpness with just the 260 grit diamond plate. Clean shaving I know I can do, but hair splitting I'm not so sure....

I'll be spyder dropping my Military today, using it to get through my work day chores :cheap-sunglasses Some days it's fun to mix it up and appreciate another design, even if a Pacific is all I really need.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageJust finished up making 169 cuts with factory edge . Blade still sharp but feel a bit of drag . Cuts were at various lengths to imitate normal use also through tape . Vivi plan to resharpen at 15 degrees, 320 grit , and no strop. If this is not correct tell me where I am going wrong . Knife came in perfect left it outside two nights on table in - 4 temps . Brought in let it warm , touch of oil to pivot , no issues . Having fun . Blade pic next
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image]Blade after cutting, MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Looking good MG2!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:08 pm
Looking good MG2!
Thanks buddy. I’m trying to juggle responsibilities at home with weather and helping inside house. My CEO needs my assistance! Ha ha ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:06 pm
I like that edge, but I’m disappointed in the lack of socks. :/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:47 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:06 pm
I like that edge, but I’m disappointed in the lack of socks. :/
the pacific salt is not a sock drawer knife. it's the knife you use so the others can sit safely in socks.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

OK so I've had my Pacific Salt 2 PE in H1 for a few weeks and have been carrying it almost daily. I'm not 100% sure where I stand on it right now.

Of course I like the corrosion resistance aspect of H1. I'm also getting used to the ergonomics, having been one whose fingers don't quite agree with the finger bumps on the handle. I found that a very slight adjustment makes it more comfortable, and it's really not too bad. It doesn't quite "melt into my hand", but it's starting to feel pretty good.

I also like the weight of the H1 blade, as Vivi mentioned earlier. Even though it's just a little heavier than the LC200N blade, it's definitely noticeable.

But the main negative is the grind. I'm an office guy, so don't get much opportunity for anything considered "hard use", but I've cut up some cardboard and definitely ran into some binding due to the hollow grind.

That said - I haven't sharpened it yet. Will reprofiling it to a lower angle help with this? It seems it would make it a bit slicier, but it's still going to swell up to a thicker spine, so it seems binding is still likely.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jason
Last edited by Jason Paul on Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Jason Paul wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:01 pm
Thoughts on this?
Hi Jason,

This is in fact my only gripe with the H1 Salt 2 and Pac Salt (not present on the Dragonfly because the grind is very tall). This issue is worse on the Salt 2, being smaller than the Pacific Salt makes the hollow grind very short and chunky.

That said, I'm eying an all black Salt 2 for years, always on the fence of if I should get it or not.

The thick grind does make some cuts more difficult, it's almost impossible to cut an apple properly. On the other hand, the blade is more robust, namely the tip.

Sometimes I'm using a knife and I wish it would be sturdier, other times I wish it would be slicier.

Life is hard for us knife nuts, ya know?
MNOSD member 0011
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Jason Paul wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:01 pm
OK so I've had my Pacific Salt 2 PE in H-1 for a few weeks and have been carrying it almost daily. I'm not 100% sure where I stand on it right now.

Of course I like the corrosion resistance aspect of H-1. I'm also getting used to the ergonomics, having been one whose fingers don't quite agree with the finger bumps on the handle. I found that a very slight adjustment makes it more comfortable, and it's really not too bad. It doesn't quite "melt into my hand", but it's starting to feel pretty good.

I also like the weight of the H-1 blade, as Vivi mentioned earlier. Even though it's just a little heavier than the LC200N blade, it's definitely noticeable.

But the main negative is the grind. I'm an office guy, so don't get much opportunity for anything considered "hard use", but I've cut up some cardboard and definitely ran into some binding due to the hollow grind.

That said - I haven't sharpened it yet. Will reprofiling it to a lower angle help with this? It seems it would make it a bit slicier, but it's still going to swell up to a thicker spine, so it seems binding is still likely.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jason

Hmmm...

It's been so long since I thinned mine (both my OG H1 PacSalt & my OG H1 Salt), that I don't recall how either cut cardboard. I do recall that the hollow grind made feather sticks Noticeably better than the FFG or reg Saber ginds though. I remember the first time I feathered a stick with my OG H1 PacSalt. I was Very impressed with it, and the noticeable difference between it and my saber ground Endura 3, was that hollow grind...

I will say that on any knives I've thinned down, there is a noticeable difference in how they feel when cutting stuff. As in, they cut with noticeably less effort, to me in my hand/use. Kind of the difference from being a working tool to an almost effortless tool, in a manner of speaking that is..

I think once you sharpen yours ( I'd even go so far as to say go ahead and apex it a few times too ), and thin the edge / drop the edge angle a little bit, that you will prefer it that way, and notice an easier cut / less bind.

Definitely looking forward to both of yalls further feedback, and sharing experiences.

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

thinning them out makes a big difference cutting cardboard.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s4igtwiBK1o

The factory grind isn't the best for certain materials, but when you make the transition from edge bevel to primary grind more acute, they slice very well for a saber grind.

The FFG LC200N version will have an advantage here, but reprofiling the H1 versions bridges the gap to a degree.

I run mine a little thinner these days than it was in the video. No issues with edge damage, and it sees more use than any other folder I own.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:13 pm
thinning them out makes a big difference cutting cardboard.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s4igtwiBK1o

The factory grind isn't the best for certain materials, but when you make the transition from edge bevel to primary grind more acute, they slice very well for a saber grind.

The FFG LC200N version will have an advantage here, but reprofiling the H1 versions bridges the gap to a degree.

I run mine a little thinner these days than it was in the video. No issues with edge damage, and it sees more use than any other folder I own.
Wow, that’s a lot of edc for plain edge h1. Thanks for posting.
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's what I've been saying for the past half a year. Take PE H1 thin and coarse and it'll outcut most peoples thicker, more polished edges they put on higher edge retention steels.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:51 pm
That's what I've been saying for the past half a year. Take PE H1 thin and coarse and it'll outcut most peoples thicker, more polished edges they put on higher edge retention steels.
So, I’ve just recently sharpened my first knife this way to give it a try. I typically prefer push cutting, and the way a more polished/refined edge feels when cutting. But I’ve been intrigued by your coarse edge advocacy! So I put a dmt coarse edge on an s30v endura, finished with a few swipes on a strop, and stopped there! I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes!
vivi

Post by vivi »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:58 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:51 pm
So, I’ve just recently sharpened my first knife this way to give it a try. I typically prefer push cutting, and the way a more polished/refined edge feels when cutting. But I’ve been intrigued by your coarse edge advocacy! So I put a dmt coarse edge on an s30v endura, finished with a few swipes on a strop, and stopped there! I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes!
It definitely takes a little getting used to.

I'd imagine most people here went on a similar edge journey as I did. Sawing at things with a dull knife, then learning how to put a nice polished edge on a Spyderco. You get used to that smooth push cut feeling, and a slicing / sawing action sounds like a step backwards in some ways.

I've come to realize that just how a serrated edge tends to grab materials and bite into them rather than slipping around, these coarse edges do the same thing.

I still run a couple knives with high polish edges because it's fun using them from time to time, but the pocket knives I carry most all have 180-300 grit edges. Even run some of my chef knives at those grits!