Pacific Salt talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Pacific Salt talk

Post by Bill1170 »

Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:56 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:14 pm
Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:11 pm
i haven't compared the two pac salts, but i have noticed that i prefer hg to ffg in cardboard, unless we're talking about utility knives. my pac salt (se h1) was noticeably better in cardboard than my manix was when compared side by side. depending on the medium, ffg can create a lot of friction, which is what was happening with my manix. the blade was actually getting really hot from the cardboard.
Honestly I feel the same when comparing either of my Manixes to the H1 Pacific Salt. I just haven't had the best luck with the Manix for cardboard cutting, though it could certainly be my sharpening. But, I feel both my Stretch 2 (K390) and my daughter's Endura (both FFG) do better with cardboard than my H1 Pacific Salt. But as mentioned, it's not a huge difference, but I can feel it.

I also wonder if you're getting better performance because of the SE. Is H1 in SE thinner than H1 in PE, like other steels when comparing SE to PE?

Jason
I find SE to be superior to PE when cutting cardboard. The large scallops trap the material in such a way that I don’t need to fight to keep the blade from slipping out of the cut. My SE Endela works better than my SE H-1 Pacific Salts for cardboard cutting. Also better than my SE Caribbean. The thinner blade stock is my guess as to why it cuts with less effort: less wedging.

I haven’t tried the LC200N Pacific Salt yet, don’t own one. When MagnaCut starts appearing in models I like, my wallet will open of its own accord.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread yet. One difference to note on the Pac Salt Hardware. It utilizes a DLC or TiCN like mystery coating. Although I appreciate a nice worn in look of the Seki painted black clips, I will say that this holds up much better. With as much as I carry this knife, I would typically have scratches and worn spots all over by now. I have two small scratches and a slight worn spot on the pivot. I love a satin blade to show off the steel and blade shape, but I do prefer blacked out hardware on the scales. Just another bonus of the salts.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:58 am
Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread yet. One difference to note on the Pac Salt Hardware. It utilizes a DLC or TiCN like mystery coating. Although I appreciate a nice worn in look of the Seki painted black clips, I will say that this holds up much better. With as much as I carry this knife, I would typically have scratches and worn spots all over by now. I have two small scratches and a slight worn spot on the pivot. I love a satin blade to show off the steel and blade shape, but I do prefer blacked out hardware on the scales. Just another bonus of the salts.

I like the color in these shots . I’m getting close to getting a Greenie , not sure if going with regular blade style or a Sheepfoot ,I wouldn’t mind having a different blade style.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:58 am
Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread yet. One difference to note on the Pac Salt Hardware. It utilizes a DLC or TiCN like mystery coating. Although I appreciate a nice worn in look of the Seki painted black clips, I will say that this holds up much better. With as much as I carry this knife, I would typically have scratches and worn spots all over by now.
Right?! The clip scratches and wears less than my native salt . I don’t know what coating is on it but it’s tough stuff.
Just one more knife...
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

As far as I know it’s a special formula applied to the Titanium clip . Whatever it is , it’s perfect for hard use , I will be reluctant to mess with the next Salt clip until it really needs to be cleaned up . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
brj

Post by brj »

vivi

Post by vivi »

Nice pair! Might have to try to FFG one of mine....
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

brj wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:35 pm
Thought provoking, I really like that blade work . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Thought I would throw this out. Vivi has been on the bandwagon long enough along with others that I broke down and purchased a Pacific Salt in H1 with a SE. Limited use yet but it is nice. I can see the attraction.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

brj wrote:
Oh wow! I really, really like that...

u.w.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

u.w. wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:45 am
brj wrote:
Oh wow! I really, really like that...

u.w.
I definitely would like to hear more about this blade mod . Nice ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

brj wrote:

Those are gorgeous! You made my favorite knife better, or at least a lot better looking. Twice.

`
brj

Post by brj »

Thanks for the comments, I kinda like 'em as well ;)
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:12 pm
I definitely would like to hear more about this blade mod . Nice ! MG2
Not much to say. With the PE I've been chasing a Calypso vibe of sorts and from certain angles it does look the part

The SE is a simple straight spine job, cough* as they should've come from factory *cough

Quite nice companions to my 1st gen zero-grind Pacific Salt

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I now see the resemblance to the Caly , very well done . I have to say I like both for different reasons , compliments to you ! Thank you for sharing , Dan
Henry David Thoreau
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They are both fantastic.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They are both fantastic. Sorry, double tap, but they are.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've had a new PE Pac Salt sitting on my table for too long, waiting in que for me to finish some other sharpening projects. But I think tomorrow will finally be the day I get to it. Gonna try the coarse edge life Vivi style, and see how I like it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 9:43 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:12 pm
Not much to say. With the PE I've been chasing a Calypso vibe of sorts and from certain angles it does look the part

This is an amazing mod, and how hard was it "ffg - ing" the knife? (Cause this must be an H1 (and so originally hollow sabre grind) blade?!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
brj

Post by brj »

Well, a certain amount of elbow grease (that shall remain unspecified ;) ) was required, but I'd like to think the results are well worth it
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Finally got my mine reprofiled to 12DPS with a 200 Grit edge!

That finish and the DLC make it very hard to get an accurate laser reading of the edge angle. But I used the WE130 fixed angle system and measured the angle with a digital angle cube, an 'analog' angle finder, and a 360° bubble level and I'm confident it's within +/- 0.3 degrees of 12DPS.

The coarse finish also gave some interesting results on the BESS tester. BESS score on the factory edge was about 167. The sharpened edge when taken dead on had a BESS of about 200... but the slightest lateral pressure gave scores of 50. Simultaneously my worst and best BESS scores. I think the take away is that for straight push cutting this finish is sub optimal, but wow is it an aggressive slicer. Which is the results I expected.

The down side here is I don't think I'll be able to use the BESS tester to measure the long term performance of the edge. You'd need something like the Edge-On-Up Edge Lab with a slicing test to really scientifically measure the edge performance over time.

I've only had a chance to cut up a few things, but I like it so far. I'm just having to remind my self to treat it like a serrated and 'pull' not 'push' my cuts.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal