Pacific Salt talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Pacific Salt talk

Post by JSumm »

I forgot to mention. Someone else addressed the Seki loose Pivot screw. I have had this on each of my Seki models. It is not loctited. I remove it, add blue loctite, and tighten just beyond what I think is loose enough. It will work back loose in a bit, but the loctite will keep it from going too far. If you can, after you loctite, wait 24 hrs before opening. That way you know it sets properly.
Last edited by JSumm on Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
K1500

Post by K1500 »

Thanks for the info. It had been so long since I read page 1 of the thread I forgot it even existed. I’m going to try the 30 degree setting and using the edge off the diamond stones with a light stropping.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I have the Pac Salt 2 in the SE blade. It’s the first full SE I have owned in decades and wow does it cut. Gotta be honest the salts (1&2) have really impressed me.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

K1500 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:36 pm
Thanks for the info. It had been so long since I read page 1 of the thread I forgot it even existed. I’m going to try the 30 degree setting and using the edge off the diamond stones with a light stropping.
Try it for a bit and let everyone know what you think. I have been using it on different steels before getting this Pac Salt, and I gotta say I really like it. After reprofiling, it takes just minutes to get back to a nice edge. That is after you wear the edge down and that takes quite a bit of time. I enjoy the practice of sharpening, but I do feel like I am doing it much less now.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

Got a NIB PE Pacific 1 in the mail today. Got a NIB SE sitting in my closet.

Gonna work on an "observations" post for the first gen this weekend.
:unicorn
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bump

Hi All,

Figured I'd give this thread a bump.

With all of the hullabaloo surrounding the release of the Stretch 2 XL, it seemed we may have been in danger of losing some of the biggest Pacific Salt Talk contributors, but watching the "...in your pocket" thread, maybe not. There was a burst of Stretch photos, but now I'm seeing Pacific Salts again, so maybe the Stretch has lost its fizzle.

Anyway, I just got the PE LC200N version a couple of days ago, so this thread came back to mind.

I must say, the one I received looks very good. I checked all of the screws and they were fine, just a slight turn to tighten things up. I'm feeling no blade play in any direction; though I really haven't used it much yet; starting out strong though. It was very sharp out of the box. I think the bevel on one side may be slightly larger than the other, but it's very close; and the bevel on one side gets very slightly wider near the heel. I'm having to inspect it very closely to see these differences, as it's practically perfect. Blade centering is spot-on as well.

So - with all of the concerns about quality from Seki City, I wanted to say this one arrived in great condition.

Another thing though - I got it from Knifecenter, and the packing slip had a big "INSPECTED" stamp on it, so I wonder if they're just aware of these concerns and have started inspecting them before shipping. I don't remember seeing this stamp on previous orders.

Anyway - back on track...

With this one, I now have both the H1 and LC200N versions in PE, and I also have an LC200N in SE. Honestly I don't think I'm the biggest fan of SE as a main EDC knife (I carry a smaller SE secondary). So, I'm paying closer attention to the PE versions.

I have reprofiled my H1 PE down to around 13-14 dps at 300 grit using my KME. The LC200N PE is brand-new, with the factory edge.

I can honestly say I see the advantages of both H1 and LC200N; depending on the user and the task at hand. And I think it mainly comes down to the grind, as you'd expect. Even with the thinner coarse grind, I can feel the difference between the hollow-grind of the H1 vs. a full-flat grind blade when cutting through cardboard for example, I can feel the swell as the cut passes the spine. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. Thinning the edge did help though.

I expect the FFG LC200N to do better here, being more slicey; but of course at the expense of what's surely a more delicate tip. I work in an office, looking for a reason to use my knives, so I'm not too worried about snapping the tip. For my EDC use, the LC200N will make more sense most of the time; but I'm glad to have both.

All of this had me wondering if I might want an Endura. For me, I think the added heft of the liners is a wash. Stronger maybe, but I think the unlined Pacific Salt is strong enough. I'm more interested in the slimmer blade profile as a once-in-a while option. That said, I really like the low-maintenance and low-corrosion aspect of the salts. The thought of corroded liners is a turn-off for me. I'm still fairly new to knives and haven't had to deal with that, and may never have to. But, I do live in a humid area, and also like the general idea of being able to just rinse the knife off and not worry about it.

Anyway - just figured I'd give this a bump with a mini-review & update, and some general thoughts.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks for your comments. I’m glad you posted and I for one am glad there are two options in steel and grind . I’ve probably posted more pictures of my Pacific than any knife I own , I love that knife and it’s all vivi’s fault ! Plan to add to Salt collection going Green next . I would like to have both grinds and see a SE sometime too . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:11 pm
Nice thoughts Jason. I feel similar as you. I do eventually want to get an H1 version. Mainly because I love the look of a hollow grind, so I may as well get one in a package I am confident I will carry.

On the Endura. The Endura is probably my favorite user EDC. Followed closely by the Manix 2 LW. I have not had my Pac Salt long, but I have tried to carry it almost everyday or as backup just to get a feel for it. I tend to cut up meat packages in the kitchen often with my knife, so I like to rinse it out real good. The linerless scales and blade steel help with peace of mind. Honestly, I am not really missing much not carrying an Endura around. I prefer the taller blade and larger thumb hole on the Pac Salt. Also, I think it looks better with the taller blade. I appreciate the loss of weight not in hand, but in the pocket. Just my opinion so far.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've said it ad nauseum, but I'll say it again; if I had to have just one....well, you know.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Jason Paul wrote:
i haven't compared the two pac salts, but i have noticed that i prefer hg to ffg in cardboard, unless we're talking about utility knives. my pac salt (se h1) was noticeably better in cardboard than my manix was when compared side by side. depending on the medium, ffg can create a lot of friction, which is what was happening with my manix. the blade was actually getting really hot from the cardboard.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:48 pm
Jason Paul wrote:
Nice thoughts Jason. I feel similar as you. I do eventually want to get an H1 version. Mainly because I love the look of a hollow grind, so I may as well get one in a package I am confident I will carry.

On the Endura. The Endura is probably my favorite user EDC. Followed closely by the Manix 2 LW. I have not had my Pac Salt long, but I have tried to carry it almost everyday or as backup just to get a feel for it. I tend to cut up meat packages in the kitchen often with my knife, so I like to rinse it out real good. The linerless scales and blade steel help with peace of mind. Honestly, I am not really missing much not carrying an Endura around. I prefer the taller blade and larger thumb hole on the Pac Salt. Also, I think it looks better with the taller blade. I appreciate the loss of weight not in hand, but in the pocket. Just my opinion so far.
On the Endura - that's sort of what I was getting at - it's all kind of a wash, and I'm thinking it would be better to pass on the Endura for now. The added heft/sturdy feel of the liners would be nice occasionally, but it's just different from the lightness of the Pacific Salt - different, but not better (for me). Same with the blade profile; I might like to have the option of the slimmer profile of the Endura, but I still like the larger hump/hole of the Pacific Salt; so again, different but not better.

That "different but not better" feeling makes me think I'll just save my money and skip the Endura - at least for now.

EDIT TO ADD - Forgot to mention, my daughter actually has an Endura in ZDP-189, so I do have access to one. But it's hers, so I don't carry it. I do play with it once in a while though, for science of course.

Jason
Last edited by Jason Paul on Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:05 pm
I've said it ad nauseum, but I'll say it again; if I had to have just one....well, you know.
I get that in a big way . I’m not dissing the Endura by any means . The Pacific just plan works for my all around use and then some . An all weather hard use knife is hard to beat . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:14 pm
Jason Paul wrote:
i haven't compared the two pac salts, but i have noticed that i prefer hg to ffg in cardboard, unless we're talking about utility knives. my pac salt (se h1) was noticeably better in cardboard than my manix was when compared side by side. depending on the medium, ffg can create a lot of friction, which is what was happening with my manix. the blade was actually getting really hot from the cardboard.
Honestly I feel the same when comparing either of my Manixes to the H1 Pacific Salt. I just haven't had the best luck with the Manix for cardboard cutting, though it could certainly be my sharpening. But, I feel both my Stretch 2 (K390) and my daughter's Endura (both FFG) do better with cardboard than my H1 Pacific Salt. But as mentioned, it's not a huge difference, but I can feel it.

I also wonder if you're getting better performance because of the SE. Is H1 in SE thinner than H1 in PE, like other steels when comparing SE to PE?

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:56 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:14 pm
Jason Paul wrote:
Honestly I feel the same when comparing either of my Manixes to the H1 Pacific Salt. I just haven't had the best luck with the Manix for cardboard cutting, though it could certainly be my sharpening. But, I feel both my Stretch 2 (K390) and my daughter's Endura (both FFG) do better with cardboard than my H1 Pacific Salt. But as mentioned, it's not a huge difference, but I can feel it.

I also wonder if you're getting better performance because of the SE. Is H1 in SE thinner than H1 in PE, like other steels when comparing SE to PE?

Jason
that could be part of it, but friction was certainly an issue. the hollow grind doesn't have as much friction, so it doesn't bind as much. it wouldn't be my first choice for woodworking though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

There are some you tube videos comparing FFG to HG on cardboard. The one I'm thinking of talked about binding with the FFG where the HG did not. Of course, lots of variables including sharpening and BTE thickness to name a few, but I do think there is a point to it. For a lot of day to day materials, a high HG with a very thin BTE thickness would be ideal for me. I think the Pac Salt HG may be too shallow or low Saber Ground HG and too thick BTE. I think cutting an apple with it would not be as easy, but cardboard is a different story.

Again, these things aren't critical and there are of course other tools around, but if you are like me, you like to carry a knife that can do many things well.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:48 pm
Jason Paul wrote:
On the Endura - that's sort of what I was getting at - it's all kind of a wash, and I'm thinking it would be better to pass on the Endura for now. The added heft/sturdy feel of the liners would be nice occasionally, but it's just different from the lightness of the Pacific Salt - different, but not better (for me). Same with the blade profile; I might like to have the option of the slimmer profile of the Endura, but I still like the larger hump/hole of the Pacific Salt; so again, different but not better.

That "different but not better" feeling makes me think I'll just save my money and skip the Endura - at least for now.

EDIT TO ADD - Forgot to mention, my daughter actually has an Endura in ZDP-189, so I do have access to one. But it's hers, so I don't carry it. I do play with it once in a while though, for science of course.

Jason
I also went from the Pac Salt to the Endura - I bought the KnifeJoy 20CV Endura exclusive. It's fantastic, still in stock as of now, and worth a look if you're still on the fence. I probably wouldn't have bought an Endura otherwise, for all the reasons you mentioned, but I enjoy the 20CV family and I couldn't pass it up.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Pacific Salt H1 buried in wood shavings.
IMG_20220422_144138950deep.jpg

I have been on the Mule side of the forum speed whittling and shaving wood, mostly kiln dried spruce and pine now. I have been going for speed and volume and thusly smacking the blade into the cutting board numerous times. This time I lost track at 50 smacks producing two tubs of shavings. The MagnaCut Mule did the same job, same smack down no sweat. A different companies 20cv showed small chips with the same chore.

This is the Pacific Salt H1
IMG_20220422_140431642chip.jpg
There are very slightly bigger than the chips in the H1 vs the 20cv. The Pacific Salt still goes through paper easy and does not hang up on the chips. It still feathered a stick down to a feathered match stick.
IMG_20220422_144729946pick.jpg
If you look towards the tip of the blade, just where the shadow ends and the light begins, you can barely see the chips.

The one time per year I am in salt water for 2 weeks, I'll take this knife. I'll take it around any water all day long and have the Waterway in a bag or tackle box for fish.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Who doesn't love the cleanup? 5 minutes with Dawn dishsoap, a toothbrush, and hot water. I had a couple Pacifics that needed a clean up today and I had an Atlantic the needed the same treatment yesterday.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RevMike wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:37 am
Who doesn't love the cleanup? 5 minutes with Dawn dishsoap, a toothbrush, and hot water. I had a couple Pacifics that needed a clean up today and I had an Atlantic the needed the same treatment yesterday.

Well said , they like to get dirty at my place . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Matus

Post by Matus »

Right after a regrind worth of several hours of work:
04229208-67D8-429F-897A-13F1B558586F.jpeg

Few minutes later. Must love those wonder white cleaning sponges.
CD6C6968-E972-47B5-9C47-382D87E7AA47.jpeg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...