Pacific Salt talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Pacific Salt talk

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure the Salt 1s aren't. They show wear almost immediately. My Pac Salt 2 clip isn't showing wear nearly as quickly, but I'd still guess not. Maybe TiCN.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:53 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:10 am
The seki salt hourglass clips are titanium. Caribbeans clip is also titanium.
Im pretty sure the native salt clip is dlc coated stainless. Its definitely magnetic.

I also think all of spydercos wire clips are stainless as well.

The backspacer on the seki salts isnt actually a backspacer since its a 2 piece handle and not a 2 piece handle plus a backspacer. You may just be feeling the difference between Seki frn and Golden frn/frcp.
Do you think the Pacific Salt clip in Titanium is also DLC ? MG2
As far as I know Seki doesnt use dlc for anything. They use ticn on blades but their clips are another story. I think the current clips and hardware are parkerized. The older ones I think were painted on.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:26 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Im pretty sure the native salt clip is dlc coated stainless. Its definitely magnetic.

The backspacer on the seki salts isnt actually a backspacer since its a 2 piece handle and not a 2 piece handle plus a backspacer. You may just be feeling the difference between Seki frn and Golden frn/frcp.
As far as I know the Seki plant doesnt use dlc for anything. They use ticn on blades but their clips are another story. I think the current clips and hardware are parkerized. The older ones I think were painted on.
Aha ! I didn’t think they were DLC but never thought of parkerized . I experimented today soaking the Pacific in Acetone for about four hours and so far barely removed anything off the coating . I may go to another product .It is definitely very hard . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:26 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:

As far as I know the Seki plant doesnt use dlc for anything. They use ticn on blades but their clips are another story. I think the current clips and hardware are parkerized. The older ones I think were painted on.
Aha ! I didn’t think they were DLC but never thought of parkerized . I experimented today soaking the Pacific in Acetone for about four hours and so far barely removed anything off the coating . I may go to another product .It is definitely very hard . MG2
Well now I have to wonder. I said parkerized because I saw other people on here say it. The new clip finish has come up in a few other threads and so far parkerized seemed correct.

BUT, I just looked it up and apparently, "The Parkerizing process cannot be used on non-ferrous metals."

And the seki salt clips are certainly non-ferrous as far as I know.

So I guess its back to square one. I have no idea what the coating is.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I did notice on back side the clip is bare of coating around the holes . The coating is very tough . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

vivi wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:01 pm
.........the salt series is great for peace of mind. ........
My new Pac Salt arrived today. Gonna take the Vivi Edge challenge. 13dps limits of my equipment, and 200-250 grit.

Excited to see how it turns out.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:00 pm
vivi wrote:
My new Pac Salt arrived today. Gonna take the Vivi Edge challenge. 13dps limits of my equipment, and 200-250 grit.

Outstanding! The Pacific has become a huge favorite. I have become very attached to this folder . My hat is off to vivi , I learned not just about the knife but the reality of my own expectations. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:00 pm
vivi wrote:

Another one joins the fold :cheap-sunglasses

Keep us posted! Might have to carry one of my PE Pacifics tomorrow...
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I did it! Yay me. So I looked at the H1 model, but the HG SG just doesn't fit me. I prefer the FFG. I'll probably get a H1 model eventually. Vivi has completely sold me on H1. I hope I'm not derailing talking about his particular model. I did start the Vivi protocol on the edge. One side was almost at 15 already, the other side was more obtuse. Using 220 Diamond.

As far as the LC200N model. Initially I was holding off due to some of the concerns I read about blade play. This particular example has zero. Not even a detectable lock rock. Actually, none of my Enduras have noticeable lock rock. Just other Seki models. Most are very minor.

Well, I'm excited to play around with a more maintenance free model. My knifes get dirty, including bloody from opening meat packages for the grill. Camp work etc. Excited about just rinsing it off and not having to sit it out to dry.

The green is a little more muted in person which I like. I was originally planning on doing a light RIT Dye bath in Royal Blue to get more of a Teal, but I think I'm going to sit on it for awhile.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hurray ! Congrats Jeff , hope you like it and it serves you well . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:37 am
Thanks Dan! I did it. I frickin dang did it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:07 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I’m really happy you got it , now you can turn the sprinkler off . You are tempting me to get one to compare with my H1 . Keep us posted, will like hearing how it will perform for you .Vivi really gets it right about the Salt line . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

JSumm wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Nice! & Congrats!

I think you are gonna like it just fine.

I've been rocking a low-grit edge on my PE LC200 Salt 2 for over a year now (I easily have over 500 trail miles alone on it now), and have zero complaints with it at all. That said, I did go through the first three or five edges on it much quicker than I thought I might, but then the edge just settled and stayed. Like it is pleasantly shocking how long it keeps it's edge. Maybe it was me? Maybe it was the steel? But it's way good to go now, and has been for a long time. It works and works very well, for me.

u.w.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I wanted an LC200N Pac Salt when they first came out, but was put off by the higher-than-average reports of QC problems. Now that I’m off of buying knives for the time being, I’ll see it as the one that got away.

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

u.w. wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:26 am
JSumm wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Nice! & Congrats!

I think you are gonna like it just fine.

I've been rocking a low-grit edge on my PE LC200 Salt 2 for over a year now (I easily have over 500 trail miles alone on it now), and have zero complaints with it at all. That said, I did go through the first three or five edges on it much quicker than I thought I might, but then the edge just settled and stayed. Like it is pleasantly shocking how long it keeps it's edge. Maybe it was me? Maybe it was the steel? But it's way good to go now, and has been for a long time. It works and works very well, for me.

u.w.
I'm glad is is working great for you. I'm really liking these low grit sharpening methods. Just grabs to everything. Easy to apply. And time will tell for me, but from everyone's experience, it seems it will last longer too!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:20 am
JSumm wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I’m really happy you got it , now you can turn the sprinkler off . You are tempting me to get one to compare with my H1 . Keep us posted, will like hearing how it will perform for you .Vivi really gets it right about the Salt line . Dan
As far as cutting goes the LC200N Pacific is really nice.

I wasn't impressed with the edge retention initially, much like PE H1, but after apllying one of my coarse edges to it, it really shined.

I'd say the edge lasts a little longer than my H1 versions at the same grit. The FFG is also really nice for things like cardboard and food prep.

While I usually carry my H1 versions instead, I'm always impressed with the cutting performance when I carry the LC version.

I'm planning to take a road trip soon and will likely pass by one of the big knife shops. If that's the case I'll see if I can check out a few in person and find one with better action. I'd like to try a different dye job too.
K1500

Post by K1500 »

Tell me more about the low grit? I have a sharpmaker with the standard and diamond stones. I set the bevel at 30 degrees and then sharpen it at 40 with the brown and white. Are you just sharpening at 30 with the diamond stones and calling it a day? It seems like micro beveling at 40 with the diamonds would fairly quickly reset the full bevel to 40.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

K1500 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:49 pm
Tell me more about the low grit? I have a sharpmaker with the standard and diamond stones. I set the bevel at 30 degrees and then sharpen it at 40 with the brown and white. Are you just sharpening at 30 with the diamond stones and calling it a day? It seems like micro beveling at 40 with the diamonds would fairly quickly reset the full bevel to 40.
I would highly recommend starting on page one and reading Vivi's detailed explanation. He spent a lot of time laying out all the details. I am using 220 diamond freehand somewhere near 15DPS, hitting a ceramic rod once per side, and a couple of quick swipes on a strop. Strop for maintenance then start over.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

K1500 wrote:
Jeff nailed it . Recommend reading the thread from start . Highly informative and concise . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

K1500 wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=1617404#p1617404

This post talks about it.

Basic idea is to carefully refine your edge on a very coarse stone (100-400 grit) until it is scrape shaving sharp or better.

You can leave it like that for an extremely aggressive slicing edge that is quick to apply.

Or, from there minimally polish the apex so the edge is more balanced between push cutting and slicing.

You can simply strop 2-3 times per side, or do 1-2 feather light strokes on the medium, fine or ultrafine sharpmaker stones.

The resulting edge can be hair popping sharp but slice extremely aggressively.

You should be able to run your fingernail along the apex and feel a gritty, biting apex. If it feels smooth you polished the apex too much.

In my experience edge retention can improve by 2-5x VS using, say, an apex finished on the fine sharpmaker rods.

Some videos showing PE H1 cutting, and cutting and cutting......

https://youtu.be/s4igtwiBK1o

https://youtu.be/VbDHhIx-ZO4