Pacific Salt talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Pacific Salt talk

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:14 pm
Finally got my mine reprofiled to 12DPS with a 200 Grit edge!

That finish and the DLC make it very hard to get an accurate laser reading of the edge angle. But I used the WE130 fixed angle system and measured the angle with a digital angle cube, an 'analog' angle finder, and a 360° bubble level and I'm confident it's within +/- 0.3 degrees of 12DPS.

The coarse finish also gave some interesting results on the BESS tester. BESS score on the factory edge was about 167. The sharpened edge when taken dead on had a BESS of about 200... but the slightest lateral pressure gave scores of 50. Simultaneously my worst and best BESS scores. I think the take away is that for straight push cutting this finish is sub optimal, but wow is it an aggressive slicer. Which is the results I expected.

The down side here is I don't think I'll be able to use the BESS tester to measure the long term performance of the edge. You'd need something like the Edge-On-Up Edge Lab with a slicing test to really scientifically measure the edge performance over time.

I've only had a chance to cut up a few things, but I like it so far. I'm just having to remind my self to treat it like a serrated and 'pull' not 'push' my cuts.
Mirrors my experience. The style of cutting you need to use is much different with coarse edges vs a high polish.

I like it because it feels very controlled. How much I pull or push into the slice lets me control how aggressive the cut is.

There's also a certain tactile feedback to cutting things with a coarse PE that I enjoy.

I get such clean, controlled cuts. Just got done slicing 80 tomatos with a 200 grit edge, and the last one was just as easy as the first. no slipping on the skin at all.

While I always keep a couple knives in my collection with a polished apex, it's tough going back to them. I don't enjoy the way they cut as much, and they require so much more maintenance. I can go a week without sharpening one of my work chef knives at 300 grit VS having to sharpen once or twice a shift with a 2,000 grit edge.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Some pics of the edge under 10x and 20x magnification.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

that looks awesome! looks like a very clean bevel. i'd be proud to have that pacific in my pocket.

keep a few things in mind as you test it out:

1. try slices both pulling the knife towards you and pushing it away from you and note the difference in cutting ability. you can also repeat the test after sharpening in the opposite direction and compare results, it's pretty interesting.

2. see how many weeks it holds useful cutting ability after it loses all shaving ability. this is one of my favorite things about these edges. I'd never use a 2,000 grit knife that had zero shaving ability because it'd cut terribly, but a 200 grit edge that doesn't shave can still cut well for me for weeks.

3. when you're ready to re-sharpen, keep an eye on how long you spend touching up the edge and compare that to how long you spend touching up a more polished edge. I do the majority of my touch-ups on a dry 260 grit diamond stone using 5-10 strokes per side, which is about 1-2 minutes of work.

It's fun seeing other people go down this rabbit hole. Switching to low grit edges has given me the biggest performance leap since learning how to put a shaving sharp edge on a blade. Been a game changer for me, especially at work.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks, and thanks for the tips vivi!

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
brj

Post by brj »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:14 pm
Some pics of the edge under 10x and 20x magnification.
Nice work, now you only need do something about that tip ;)
vivi wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:08 pm
While I always keep a couple knives in my collection with a polished apex, it's tough going back to them. I don't enjoy the way they cut as much, and they require so much more maintenance.
While I generally agree, I still think polished works better with lower angles, below is my 1st gen Pac Salt sharpened to a zero grind and mirror polished, it's easily the best cutter among everything I own (I did shave with it once, just because :smiling-cheeks ) and the only maintenance it sees these days is light stropping on jeans

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageReally attached to the Pacific .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Loving this for cardboard. It does seem to cut well in both directions Vivi. A little smoother sawing forward going with the angle/direction of my edges scratch pattern (or micro teeth). Less smooth but more aggressive sawing against the teeth.

It doesn't have the same 'touch' sharpness as my polished edges when cutting thin plastics, takes a little more pressure to initiate the cut. But once it gets going it's smooth and doesn't snag.

Not sure if I'm ready to convert and sell all my edge polishing gear, but liking the change of pace so far.

vivi

Post by vivi »

here's a rough idea of what I've got planned for my next Spyderco purchase. Yellow PE H1 Pacific 2 modded like this:

still learning this android photoshop style app. but it gives you the idea.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Love it!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

any idea when H2 is supposed to be rolling into dealers?

I remember reading on the byte that the pac salt would be leading that charge....
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:48 pm
here's a rough idea of what I've got planned for my next Spyderco purchase. Yellow PE H1 Pacific 2 modded like this:

still learning this android photoshop style app. but it gives you the idea.
Look forward to the results! I want to do that with my Carribean.
-Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:01 pm

I remember reading on the byte that the pac salt would be leading that charge....
For no reason based on anything factual, I am in no hurry for the change.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

cabfrank wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:54 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:01 pm

For no reason based on anything factual, I am in no hurry for the change.
same here. I have plenty of original pac salts, but I only have one pac salt 2 and its a blacked out PE, so I may add an SE before the change just cuz, and comparison sake later, although I doubt we will really be able to tell a difference in everyday use.

I was only asking out of curiosity, cuz ill have to buy one of each of those as well...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think you should get an H1 SE, just in case.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hello, this is the Department of Redundancy Department calling. 🤣

Screenshot_20220626-065419_Chrome.jpg

Actually it's interesting to me, at least it shows Vivi still likes the same model enough to make nearly the same thread twice 6 years apart. I like that kind of consistency.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:56 am
Hello, this is the Department of Redundancy Department calling. 🤣

Screenshot_20220626-065419_Chrome.jpg

Actually it's interesting to me, at least it shows Vivi still likes the same model enough to make nearly the same thread twice 6 years apart. I like that kind of consistency.
Just doing his part to make sure people know!

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:44 am
I think you should get an H1 SE, just in case.
I have multiple of the original H1 SE, but yeah I went ahead and ordered a 2 as well.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageDuty calls ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Salter

Post by Salter »

So I just received a Pacific Salt 1 today, brand new, ordered directly from Spyderco.
IMG_4108.jpg
As far as I was aware, all the Pac Salt 1s were long discontinued and no longer being sold?? Before I ordered, I called the Spyderco store to make sure the listing was accurate but interestingly, they couldn’t see the listing on their end. Can someone please provide a sanity check for me and tell me if I'm just a knucklehead and these have been available from Spyderco this whole time or if this is some fluke. It's still available as of this post.

On another note, I came across this article:
https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/sto ... sponsored/
Allegedly, these black/black PS1s in PE were approved for military SERE issue. Can anyone confirm the validity of this article or provide anymore info on this? I can’t find anything else anywhere about Pac Salts being approved or issued for SERE training.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The few Pac Salts I own are all Pac Salt 1’s. I don’t own a Pac Salt 2 yet.

I’m wondering if the Pac Salt 2 in FFG LC200N version’s QC has improved, and become more consistent than when they first came out.

However, whenever I will buy another knife is still uncertain, as I’m on an indefinite hiatus from knife buying.

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I didn't think the Pac Salt 1's were still available either. I'm surprised.