Prices going up: US G10 Spydies increasing more than other families

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikey177

Re: Prices going up: US G10 Spydies increasing more than other families

Post by mikey177 »

I'll try to get an Amalgam before the year ends. Other than that, all I'm waiting for is the Swick, and maybe the fluted CF Native 5 if it comes back in stock and the price is still within reach.
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:26 pm
Normally this bothers me but considering the price of everything is going up and many things are hard to even find it is currently the least of my worries.
I don't like the higher prices more than anyone else, but for perspective:

house brand 1lb ground pork rolls were $1.50 on sale, $2.00 on a day to day basis at my locally owned grocer a year ago. yesterday they were $6.00 for the same product.

As someone that's tried to maintain a $200 limit on knife purchases, seeing a basic S30V Military break that limit is sad to see. But imagine a 3x increase in price like some grocery items have seen.

Latex gloves, chicken wings, gas.....lots of things have doubled in price in the last year to two years.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

Unfortunately, the price for even a basic Military will eventually reach the current price of a CRK. It absolutely is NOT something that Spyderco wants to happen. But like vivi said, many things (pretty much everything) are going way up in price. Things that are much more immediately necessary than scoring another knife.

Jim
Crox

Post by Crox »

I work in manufacturing (not knife related but lots of steel and components). Everyday is a disaster. Prices of some things doubling. Promises of delivery of parts that don’t show up at the dock. Scrambling engineering and purchasing to find or create alternate parts. We thought it was bad in July…. But it continues to get worse. Difficulties are broad for us: steel, plastic, microchips, you name it. Factories are shutting down regularly now in many industries.

Spyderco must have good vendors/planning/volumes to achieve such a small price increase.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Interesting. I would have thought the impact on Spyderco from We/Civivi, Artisan Cutlery, and others in the Ti flipper wave would have forced Spyderco to hold the line on cost this year. Of course, I don't know what we'll see in the way of price changes on other brands.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Unfortunately, next year's price increase, while understandable given the widespread inflation, comes after a string of large price increases at Spyderco. I just hope the pace slows down because if not people will stop buying at some point like with the Seki models that became too expensive. I'd hate to see only Chinese-made knives as the values. That would not bode well for Spyderco.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 pm
I don't like the higher prices more than anyone else, but for perspective:

house brand 1lb ground pork rolls were $1.50 on sale, $2.00 on a day to day basis at my locally owned grocer a year ago. yesterday they were $6.00 for the same product.

As someone that's tried to maintain a $200 limit on knife purchases, seeing a basic S30V Military break that limit is sad to see. But imagine a 3x increase in price like some grocery items have seen.

Latex gloves, chicken wings, gas.....lots of things have doubled in price in the last year to two years.
While knife purchases are discretionary and by no means essential, another key difference with the items you mentioned are that price increases actually have the possibility of being transitory. Food, gas, other commodities can come back down in price as supply/logistics improve.

There is a zero percent chance you will see the price of a Spyderco come down.
general bacardi

Post by general bacardi »

Hi, this is actually my first post here, I've been lurking for quite a while but finally joined.

It will be interesting to see what effect these price increases have on Spyderco's market share. For example, street price of a basic Paramilitary 2 (black G10 / satin S45VN) is $154.70, and it currently has a price advantage over competitors such as the ZT 0357 (G10/20CV, $160) and the Benchmade Osborne 940-2 (G10/S30V, $174.25). After the price increase, the Para 2 will be $170.17, more than the ZT, and almost as much as the Benchmade.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

archangel wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:47 pm
I still need a Lil Native, Chief, Manix XL, Yojimbo, and YoJumbo. FRN is not an option
With 44 Spydies, 42 different models, 40 different steels you don't really need anything ;)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

The high end integral CF/titanium/integral/etc pieces seem to come from China mainly now, We and Reate, but if US G10 models are now becoming luxury that ain't good.

A standard S45VN PM2 is 182EUR now on Lamnia, RamZar suggests another 10% increase and will be over 200 next year.

In Europe Spydercos have reached the point when they are not attractive even when on sale, there was some super duper
ultra uber mega 10% sale on Lamnia and after looking thru Spydercos I ended up buying a Prometheus Design Werx SFPB prybar

I think I've said this before, looks like Spyderco are pricing themselves out of this God forsaken land of expensive and restrictions aka EU.

And stupid me is waiting for new expensive Military Sprints with titanium/CF scales and expensive steels, if prices keep
increasing that ain't gonna happen...

A regular S30V Military is now 223EUR, add 10% that's almost 250, FRN CTS-BD1 Military seems to be the future...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:28 pm
archangel wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:47 pm
I still need a Lil Native, Chief, Manix XL, Yojimbo, and YoJumbo. FRN is not an option
With 44 Spydies, 42 different models, 40 different steels you don't really need anything ;)

Good point. :party-face

Still..... :winking-tongue
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
jdw

Post by jdw »

The days of Spyderco being a good value for the money spent is rapidly passing. I feel that the quality will remain but it’s no longer a good value. I also believe that they are in the process of pricing themselves out of the market niche that they created for themselves.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The costs of materials is rising faster than consumer income is rising. Spyderco has to raise prices as no business can absorb all the increased costs and that means we buy less.

We have been cursed with "interesting times".
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:28 pm
Hi Michael,

Spyderco only raises prices when our costs go up. We don't like it any more than you do. We try to minimize increases.

sal

*EDITED - Inappropriate* - TazKristi
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:16 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:28 pm
Hi Michael,

Spyderco only raises prices when our costs go up. We don't like it any more than you do. We try to minimize increases.

sal

*EDITED - Inappropriate*
I'm typically the very last person to advocate for any sort of censorship, but it's time for this knifusmaximumass clown to go..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
archangel

Post by archangel »

Ignore him. Nothing works better.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Prices are what they are. I could wish they were lower, but at the same time I want to be deliberate with my acquisitions and practice reasonable moderation. I kind of do already, but with somewhere in the ballpark of 20 spydies I’m sure I can force myself to do even better.
I like all my knives, but I don’t like the numbers I see when I count them. That’s how it goes when prices are fair relative to income, it’s easier to keep adding than to make hard choices and replace something.
The way prices are moving these days (and it’s not Spyderco’s price increase that bothers me), it doesn’t feel right to perpetually add non-essential items to my sock drawer, even if they kind of fill a need that isn’t totally made up.
This is a direction I’ve been wanting to move for a while now, so I look at it more as a challenge than a sacrifice at this point. Subject to change, of course :-)
I’ll still buy Spyderco knives now and then, and I hope others will too. The company and their ethics is just as important as their products too me, so I hope enough people are able to still buy their products as to keep the business healthy.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

archangel wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:32 pm
Ignore him. Nothing works better.
I placed his user name on the "foes" list for the forum and I no longer see his remarks. Everyone should do it!
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I do think people forget sometimes that many businesses really don't like to raise prices. Not because controlling prices is some sort of gift to their customers, something I think is a bad idea because it keeps capitalism from working properly, but because they don't want to lose market share.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer prices increased 6.2% for the year ended October 2021 (November 2021 data not out yet). That’s the largest 12-month increase since the period ending November 1990.

Prices for all items less food and energy rose 4.6 percent over the last 12 months, the largest 12-month increase since the period ending August 1991. Energy prices rose 30.0 percent over the last 12 months, and the food index increased 5.3 percent.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln