Manix2 lwt Still Pinned

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Manix2 lwt Still Pinned

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I noticed in catalog the Manix Lwt still pinned . I thought from reading they were going to screws ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
nerdlock

Re: Manix2 lwt Still Pinned

Post by nerdlock »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:08 pm
I noticed in catalog the Manix Lwt still pinned . I thought from reading they were going to screws ? MG2

I think Sal only mentioned that they were considering going screw construction at the start of this year (I couldn't find the thread but it must have been during January or so) so if ever that change happens, it still might be a year or several ahead.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks, for reply . Frees me up to order another lwt in the future . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Pinned, but hasn't tapped out yet!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:58 pm
Pinned, but hasn't tapped out yet!
:') :')

He's holding (the edge) well...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This is what I get being 002 ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Just curious if the base model Manix2 Lightweight is shipping with screw construction now, since they're In stock and the picture shows Torx heads?.. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C101BK2/797

All the other Lightweights still have the pinned pics.
•• Beau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it was mentioned long before this year, but it wasn't confirmed to be in works until early this year. i'm wondering when we'll see them rolling out with screws too. they might have already started producing them with screws but have to still sell through the pinned versions. the standard black lw on spyderco's site shows screws now.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not an frcp fan, but I'm very happy for all of you Manix LW fans! This is something that's been waited on for years! Scale and blade swaps galore now. Can't wait to see the combinations people start putting together.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:00 pm
it was mentioned long before this year, but it wasn't confirmed to be in works until early this year. i'm wondering when we'll see them rolling out with screws too. they might have already started producing them with screws but have to still sell through the pinned versions. the standard black lw on spyderco's site shows screws now.

I'd hate to lead anybody a stray but spyderco.com is usually pretty good about that sorta thing. I don't think I've heard anyone complain that they received old stock when an updated picture is on the site? It would be nice to get confirmation from a local though.
Or maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention. :zany

Edit to add I'm only referring to the BD1n Satin Blade Black FRCP Manix2 Lightweight model
•• Beau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Okay, this is obviously a noob question but, after working on firearms and fishing equipment for years, I'm used to being able to just tap the pins out for disassembly, and back in for reassembly. I'm guessing this is not possible on Spydies...?

I understand that old-school folders and a lot of fixed-blades are pinned and glued, or pinned and peened, but I figured I would be able to disassemble/reassemble any new-ish Spyderco knife I bought. And it turns out I just ordered a Manix, and it's not one of the recent black FRN ones... ',:-|
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Knife pins are either peened or spun to create a head on each end, otherwise any lateral force on the blade would pry the knife apart. I've had it happen on knives that were not sufficiently peened. You generally have to drill the heads off and replace the pins for reassembly.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:02 pm
Knife pins are either peened or spun to create a head on each end, otherwise any lateral force on the blade would pry the knife apart. I've had it happen on knives that were not sufficiently peened. You generally have to drill the heads off and replace the pins for reassembly.
Got it. Thanks!
carrot

Post by carrot »

I don’t really see what the problem with pinned is. I just rinse my knife out under the tap. I like the security of knowing there aren’t any fasteners going to fall out.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

carrot wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:08 pm
I don’t really see what the problem with pinned is. I just rinse my knife out under the tap. I like the security of knowing there aren’t any fasteners going to fall out.
On the manix lw, the pivot is adjustable, so its only an issue for me with non stainless versions (maxamet or sprints like rex45). But that's mostly my sight rust paranoia.

Totally understand about screws. I've had a few knives arrive with loose fasteners. Now everything gets blue loctite right after I inspect them out of the box. Haven't had an issue since.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:40 am
carrot wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:08 pm
On the manix lw, the pivot is adjustable, so its only an issue for me with non stainless versions (maxamet or sprints like rex45). But that's mostly my sight rust paranoia.

Admittedly I am that guy whose Spydies never seem to have rust problems, despite they all get heavily exposed to water, mud, sweat, snow and often not cleaned for days.

That said: My Rex 45 Manix LW has developed no problems in the pivot area whatsoever, despite finally the blade DOES get more and more patina and even some tiny spots.
The action is still perfect (of course can´t actually SEE what´s gong on inside of the handle, but just feel).

Just a theory: Perhaps the pivot area has quite a good "self cleaning function" anyway due to the frequent rotational movement when opening / closing the knife?!

/ One con of pinned construction is of course, that it makes blade swaps almost impossible - not a thing for me though

Another one: Just out of interest I´d like to disassemble a Manix at last once, to inspect a CBBL n "real life" (the only main loock type I never diis- and reassembled)
Not an option with an LW
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i had a spot of rust on my xhp lightweight. it was on the portion of the blade tang behind the pivot. i was able to barely reach it through the cbbl hole. it cleaned up easily enough, but it made me wonder about the areas i can't see or reach, and it certainly made me never want anything less stainless in a pinned design. even the native salt has screws.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:15 am
i had a spot of rust on my xhp lightweight. it was on the portion of the blade tang behind the pivot. i was able to barely reach it through the cbbl hole. it cleaned up easily enough, but it made me wonder about the areas i can't see or reach, and it certainly made me never want anything less stainless in a pinned design. even the native salt has screws.

Time will tell if the REX 45 blade / pivot area in my pinned Manix will eventually cause functional problems indeed.

So far it does not look like this at all, but let´s talk again after some more years of sweaty iwb carry, cutting fruits, getting the blade wet and muddy... can´t tell what will happen and/ore IF something will happen.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
carrot

Post by carrot »

This might seem like a weird outlook but I figure if there is rust on the knife where I cannot see it (very likely since the M2LW has been my long time backpacking knife) it will either be on a moving surface which will likely clean itself over time or on a non-moving surface where it is purely structural and not going to affect my knife usage at all.

That said, it’s not like I’m intentionally rusting the knife or putting it away wet consciously so I’m still doing basic care, I’m also just not concerned with rust I can’t access or see.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ive got a case slipjoint that I found at the beach. Its got rust in areas that you cant get to and cant be cleaned. It is still perfectly functional.

It must have not been there too long as it is really only surface rust. The difference between surface rust and rusting out a pivot is huge. I think it would take a lot of neglect and a long time for a pinned manix, even one with a tool steel, to have a problem.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."