Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:18 pm
Put a yellow scales on that PM 2 Salt, and I'd buy one.
Cool - you like yellow AND Frank Zappa!!!👊
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

SFO in stock.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

GpKnives, done and done.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

z1r wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 pm
Glad you got lucky! I'll get one eventually. I kinda got lucky last week when I snagged the last Rex45 N5 GP Knives had. Gonna find me some Rit dye and have a little fun.
I bought the uncoated Rex 45 N5 a few months ago, it's been an outstanding knife and I've been really impressed with mine. I just ordered the PE N5 Salt, Magnacut from GP Knives a few minutes ago as well. I've been anxiously waiting for the PE version since the Reveal. No saltwater here in TN but summers are hot and humid enough that a day of mowing and weed eating leaves me so sweaty I have to peel my clothes off to take a shower.

This is the knife I've been waiting for to try Magnacut for the first time. If it works out as well as I'm hoping, I might try the SE version as well.

And I'm thinking Rit Dye may be called for, something like the K390 blue FRN would be my ideal color.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

GPKNIVES…yup-$173.91 w/tax and priority mail👊
z1r

Post by z1r »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:39 pm
z1r wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 pm
Glad you got lucky! I'll get one eventually. I kinda got lucky last week when I snagged the last Rex45 N5 GP Knives had. Gonna find me some Rit dye and have a little fun.
I bought the uncoated Rex 45 N5 a few months ago, it's been an outstanding knife and I've been really impressed with mine. I just ordered the PE N5 Salt, Magnacut from GP Knives a few minutes ago as well. I've been anxiously waiting for the PE version since the Reveal. No saltwater here in TN but summers are hot and humid enough that a day of mowing and weed eating leaves me so sweaty I have to peel my clothes off to take a shower.

This is the knife I've been waiting for to try Magnacut for the first time. If it works out as well as I'm hoping, I might try the SE version as well.

And I'm thinking Rit Dye may be called for, something like the K390 blue FRN would be my ideal color.
Glad the PE is finally available. I'm convinced it was worth the wait. If you like that Rex45, you'll love the Salt N5! And yes, that Rex dyes nicely!
olywa

Post by olywa »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:23 pm
Jerome Howard wrote:
"Watch out where the Huskies go..."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

olywa wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:35 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:23 pm
Jerome Howard wrote:
"Watch out where the Huskies go..."
He was a fur trapper...
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
javemtr

Post by javemtr »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:56 pm
Is this where you saw the 65 hrc in the GP Knives product page? Larrin's articles have mentioned heat treating MC up to that level, but I haven't seen anything saying what hrc spyderco is going with.
"Developed by metallurgist Larrin Thomas (Knife Steel Nerds) Magnacut is a powder metallurgy steel designed to deliver balanced high-performance with high hardness (up to 65 Rc), similar toughness to CPM-4V, and corrosion resistance better than M390, similar to LC200N."
It seems that is just the general marketing statement and not related to Spyderco's specific heat treat. It will be exciting to see someone with a hardness tester test an actual production Native.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

z1r wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:11 pm
CrustyOtter wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:39 pm

Glad the PE is finally available. I'm convinced it was worth the wait. If you like that Rex45, you'll love the Salt N5! And yes, that Rex dyes nicely!
Actually, I really like the plain white FRN on the Rex 45. It's the yellow FRN on the Salt I'm planning on dying (dyeing?) to something easier to spot if I drop it while outdoors. Yellow is fine on green grass but once its mowed and dries out, yellow will be harder to spot. Then there's the dead leaves in the woods and the lawn in Fall. Yellow or red would blend in too closely. I'd prefer a blue like the K390 or SPY27 series or the teal used on the D4 (I think it was a D4) for a year round, easy to recover color. There's a "Kentucky Sky" Rit dye that I'm seriously considering, along with Sapphire Blue or Royal Purple, or some blend with those base dyes.

I swapped out the OD green G-10 scales on my K390 PM2 for blue canvas micarta from RGT and they're much more to my liking: more comfortable texture AND they blend in better in the pocket of my jeans ;) . I've even considered buying a G-10 N5 just to have parts that make micarta scale swaps possible... yeah, I've got it bad.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

REC just sent mail . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Shipping confirmation from GPKnives onboard! Can’t wait to try this bad boy out!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

PlainEdge & SpyderEdge back at Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C41YL5/1162

Edit: PlainEdge Out of stock
•• Beau
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

javemtr wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:57 am
Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:56 pm
Is this where you saw the 65 hrc in the GP Knives product page? Larrin's articles have mentioned heat treating MC up to that level, but I haven't seen anything saying what hrc spyderco is going with.
"Developed by metallurgist Larrin Thomas (Knife Steel Nerds) Magnacut is a powder metallurgy steel designed to deliver balanced high-performance with high hardness (up to 65 Rc), similar toughness to CPM-4V, and corrosion resistance better than M390, similar to LC200N."
It seems that is just the general marketing statement and not related to Spyderco's specific heat treat. It will be exciting to see someone with a hardness tester test an actual production Native.
I would like to see that as well.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

thanks for the heads up guys. I also just ordered from GP Knives, then called Knife Center to cancel my pre-order.

I suppose now I am going to have to buy some black Ritt dye, or some blue Ritt if I want a dark forest green.
Last edited by DunninLA on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm
BladeHQ... https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ack--78694
. that still links to the Native 5 Salt in LC200N. I wonder if they simply haven't updatec their web wording.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the HT? I'm guessing 62, with lesser odds on 61 or 63.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

Incidentally, one of the things that has resulted in my research on Magnacut is an unexpected appreciation for LC200N based on lots of reviews and user experiences. It is tougher than MC, more corrosion resistant but probably not meaningfully so, and easier to sharpen per just about everybody. Apparently cuts through about 35% fewer ropes or feet of cardboard before needing stropping, compared to MC, but that's not bad at all.

If the Lil Native had been offered in LC200N, I would not have waited for the Native5 in MC.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

DunninLA wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:37 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm
BladeHQ... https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ack--78694
. that still links to the Native 5 Salt in LC200N. I wonder if they simply haven't updatec their web wording.

I'm still under the impression that any yellow Native Salt's coming out of the factory have MagnaCut blades. The yellow Native Salt hasn't been available online for years, from the dealers I keep tabs on. And they announced the switch to MagnaCut over a year ago. And they've since introduced the green LC200n Native Salt's. I think some dealers are either not aware of the steel switch or they just haven't updated their listings. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of any instances of somebody receiving the Yellow with LC200n in the past few months.

And BladeHQ has corrected that listing since your post. :respect
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau