Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olditguy

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by olditguy »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:06 pm
z1r wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:46 pm
olditguy wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:27 am
I received the GPKnives Rex45 Satin Native 5 last week and the Magnacut PE Native 5 yesterday. Both are perfect in every aspect, and very sharp!
That'll make your day! Love both of mine.
Same here, both knives are outstanding. I've been tempted to get the SPY27 N5 as well but something else always comes up. Still wish it was possible to swap scales to micarta but other than that, I'm more than pleased. I love the leaf blades.
My first Native 5 is the SPY27. It's excellent as well!
z1r

Post by z1r »

Exactly, the Spy27 N5 is equally impressive. Mine is special to me as it was a gift from my wife and son. Sharpens nicely!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Got my plain edge Magnacut Native in the mail today, I've been Native-less for around a year now and I'm very pleased to have it in my rotation again. I took off the clip until I pick up an aftermarket deep carry. This thing is gonna be my go to work knife in the kitchen, won't have to worry about getting it wet or dirty.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am
Mine arrived this morning and took up residence in my pocket. The grind is even, the blade is wicked sharp, and the construction is flawless. Can’t wait to cut some s***!
DITTO!!!👊

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

National Knives just sent email and have stock available . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

This has been a not so great week for me, but getting a MagnaCut Native in hand has been a bright spot. Hoping to do a reprofile tonight or tomorrow.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:19 am
This has been a not so great week for me, but getting a MagnaCut Native in hand has been a bright spot. Hoping to do a reprofile tonight or tomorrow.
Glad there's a bright spot in your week! You WILL enjoy!
petz462

Post by petz462 »

My LC200N Native is absolutely green with envy now that it's got some sweet Magnacut competition!! Gotta love that factory razor sharp edge too.

Dave
USAF Retired
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 am
Got my plain edge Magnacut Native in the mail today, This thing is gonna be my go to work knife in the kitchen
Out of curiosity, why would you not have a dedicated kitchen knife in the kitchen? something like an 8" chef, or 165mm Santoku or Bunka in stainless Gingami (aka G3, or Silver3?). or if you only want a small knife, a 120 or 130mm petty in G3 or Blue2 san mai? All of those can be had for about the same price, give $20 or take $40, as the Native 5 Magnacut folder.

I use 165mm Gihei Santoku in Blue2, 120mm tall petty also in Blue2, 90mm petty in VG10 ... but if Magnacut had been around 5 years ago, I wouldn't own anything other than 1 forged Blue 2 by a craftsman, just to honor traditional knifemaking, everything else would be Magnacut from a factory. I think we will see lots of Magnacut kitchen knife options popping up over the next five years, from at least. a dozen factories.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

removed
Last edited by DunninLA on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

DunninLA wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:05 pm
Out of curiosity, why would you not have a dedicated kitchen knife in the kitchen? something like an 8" chef, or 165mm Santoku or Bunka
The Native will be used for anything non edible I need to cut while working in the restaurant. Tape, cardboard, old mop heads, rice bags, wax paper etc. There's a lot of things to cut in the kitchen that I would never use my chef knife for. I do use Miyabi gyutos and a Shun paring knife, as well as a Forchner Chinese cleaver for food processing. My newest chef knife is the Murray Carter gyuto I bought during the epic Black Friday sales last year. It got a patina as soon as I started using it, the knife is a beast.
I do look forward to picking up a Magnacut culinary blade at some point.
Also, I cut some lemons and such with the Native yesterday and it felt great to not have to worry about cleaning it right away.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

DunninLA wrote:
I think we will see lots of Magnacut kitchen knife options popping up over the next five years, from at least. a dozen factories.
Bradford Knives did a run of their culinary line in magnacut. Not nearly factory production quantities, but it's a start!
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

bobartig wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:31 pm
DunninLA wrote:
I think we will see lots of Magnacut kitchen knife options popping up over the next five years, from at least. a dozen factories.
Bradford Knives did a run of their culinary line in magnacut. Not nearly factory production quantities, but it's a start!
I own a Meglio Knives 8” Gyuuto in magna-cut. It’s from a small maker, but I really just wanted one nice chef knife. I think Magna-Cut might be a bit hard to grind to end up in anything but fairly high end kitchen knives.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Mrj wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:11 pm
Nice dye job! How much do you think the original yellow affected the end color? I know about where I want to end up, just not sure if I should compensate for the yellow affect.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 am
Got my plain edge Magnacut Native in the mail today, I've been Native-less for around a year now and I'm very pleased to have it in my rotation again. I took off the clip until I pick up an aftermarket deep carry. This thing is gonna be my go to work knife in the kitchen, won't have to worry about getting it wet or dirty.
My LynchNW clip was delivered this morning. I usually go with the blacksmith finish when matching black hardware but they happened to have black Cerakote clips available so I ordered that instead, thinking it should be more corrosion/sweat resistant. Guess I'll start giving it an edc test run for a week or so.
Jack
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:01 pm
Mrj wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:11 pm
Nice dye job! How much do you think the original yellow affected the end color? I know about where I want to end up, just not sure if I should compensate for the yellow affect.
It affected it a lot. The greenish one was just grey dye. The reddish one was coral, blue and scarlet red. Two different solutions on the red one
MRj “Weak things break!”
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Mrj wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:59 pm
It affected it a lot. The greenish one was just grey dye. The reddish one was coral, blue and scarlet red. Two different solutions on the red one
Hmmm, I'll have to see what I end up with
I'm going to try for something close to the K390 blue. The Rit dye chart lists a "Zante Bay" as 1.5 parts Kentucky Sky to .75 parts Sapphire Blue. Might have to play with the proportions. Thanks for the heads up.
I like that green though.
Jack
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

electro-static wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:16 pm
bobartig wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:31 pm
DunninLA wrote:
I think Magna-Cut might be a bit hard to grind to end up in anything but fairly high end kitchen knives.
. Actually, I think one of the great properties of Magnacut is its fine grain structure, so it should be routine to grind. Of course 61 easier to grind than 64, but every report is that it likes the strop, and is easy to sharpen, so it must be easy to grind as well.
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

a little off topic, but today I noticed how similar S30V and Magnacut are in their composition:

S30V and Magnacut are the same in:
-Vanadium: 4%
-Molybdenum: 2%
-Nitrogen: 0.2%

They differ slightly in:
-Carbon: S30v 1.45% -> 1.15% in Magnacut

They differ significantly in:
-Chromium: S30V 14% -> 10.7% in Magnacut

The huge practical difference is that by removing 3.3% of the Chromium from the total mix, and fine tuning the carbon content, all the large sized Chromium carbides found in S30V are dissolved/removed from the finished steel matrix of Magnacut, replaced by smaller, finer carbides, especially vanadium carbides. And smaller, finer means less prone to fractures, aka toughness.

Finally, Niobium is added in, which I assume contributes along with fine grain structure to the huge increase in toughness, as well as the 64-65 HRC potential, of Magnacut.

Niobium: S30V 0%, 2% in Magnacut

Anyway, I just thought that was interesting... a hugely different steel from small changes that eliminate excess chromium carbides.