Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by Freediver »

468F3DC6-CBA7-4C17-AB4B-6858501F2B1A.jpeg
This was waiting for me in the mail when I returned from a trip. I’m going to have to get a PE as well, I love it. The catalog is stunning too.
Attachments
56056084-646C-45EF-9356-8005D64A4595.jpeg
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

cjk wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:52 pm
salimoneus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:28 am
Anyone know how many of each PE vs SE of these they are producing, % wise? I don't have a need or experience with any Salt, but I would think that for most salt applications, a SE would be a bit more useful for cutting rope, straps, emergency use underwater, etc. Also makes me wonder how past Salt sales of SE vs PE are split % wise.

I would bet that there will be a higher than normal interest in the PE version of this specific Salt, due to people wanting to try out this steel in a folding knife format, and this is the first offering of that kind. The Salt aspect is going to be mostly irrelevant to them, and probably even a slight deterrent due to the loud scale color, but not enough of a deterrent to not buy one :)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've written, but the Native 5 Salt is not the first offering of Magnacut in a folding knife. It's really not even close.

First offering from Spyderco yes absolutely. This is after all a Spyderco forum.

cjk wrote:
Salt knives are useful wherever knives are useful, just without the rust.

Sure they may still be useful in non-salt environments, but not as useful as other options. There are many other blade steels that outperform any previously released Salt models. Choosing a knife isn't just about what is simply "useful", but I would argue the "most useful".

salimoneus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:28 am
I'd expect the general knife buying public has way more interest in plainedge over spyderedge.
I'd also expect that there's a significant preference for plain edge even among knife aficionados, while less than the general knife buying public.
cjk wrote:
My off the cuff guess is that overall production is probably 15% or less spyderedge.
This particular knife is a regular catalog item. It's not like they're going to stop or not adapt to whatever sells the best.

Thanks for your off the cuff guess, but I'd guess that your guess is off by a fair margin. And the fact that it is going to be a regular catalog item, does not mean that Spyderco will not take into account past split % sales.

Appreciate the time you took to respond, but unfortunately the thoughts provided were about as unhelpful as possible.
cjk

Post by cjk »

salimoneus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:31 pm
Appreciate the time you took to respond, but unfortunately the thoughts provided were about as unhelpful as possible.
I hope you have a nice day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ok I'm definitely not seeing things, this is at least a different shade of yellow. Whether it was intentional or not will be for Spyderco to confirm or deny lol.

Here are all my yellow Salts in order of age, oldest to the left. Oddly enough two of the older ones are much lighter yellow and then two are a bit darker, and they are all at least a few years apart in age. None of them have been left in the sun to bleach or anything like that.

They almost perfectly match these color swatches, or at least as close as my eyeballs can see.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Japan vs USA FRN
•• Beau
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Maybe a Seki vs Golden thing? Or maybe FRP vs FRCP? I have a Magnacut Native en route and I have an LC2000 here so I can post a comparison soon if no one beats me to it.
-Turbo
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

0910B9DF-CE8F-4A3B-A8AD-59F248D48D1A.jpeg
I have g10 versions of same knives that are different as well. Color pigments are different from batch to batch. One is rerelease. One is original.
Last edited by Mrj on Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:16 pm
Maybe a Seki vs Golden thing? Or maybe FRP vs FRCP? I have a Magnacut Native en route and I have an LC2000 here so I can post a comparison soon if no one beats me to it.

I thought these were FRN? I haven't really kept up with all the lightweight variations but I thought the Manix 2 LW was the only one in FRCP?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Definitely a difference in the Japan salts yellow to the US salts. The US salts are a little darker.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco should just describe it as “a shade of Yellow FRN”! :smlling-eyes

I guess one tries to achieve the brightest high visibility yellow color possible and no two factories will get the exact same shade of yellow.

My favorite such color is the optic yellow color of tennis balls which tend to straddle the yellow & green colors. I remember a poll where people were asked “what color are tennis balls?” and the result was about a 50-50 split between yellow and green.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:19 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:16 pm

I thought these were FRN? I haven't really kept up with all the lightweight variations but I thought the Manix 2 LW was the only one in FRCP?
You're right. The Golden FRN feels so different from Seki I thought it FRCP.
-Turbo
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:05 pm
Ok I'm definitely not seeing things, this is at least a different shade of yellow. Whether it was intentional or not will be for
This photo doesn't show the colors the way I see them in person but you can see a clear difference between the LC200N and the MagnaCut. Sure one is fresh out of the box and the other has a couple years of IWB carry but both scales on the LC200N look the same so don't think it's a fading thing.

I haven't used it yet but like you mentioned in the other thread I can feel a wire edge and the PE part of the blade is also sharpened at a more obtuse angle like yours.
-Turbo
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Different lighting and a couple Sekis in the mix
-Turbo
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

124AB73B-AA05-4864-AD7A-C144F25FE24E.jpeg
Matus

Post by Matus »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:59 pm
Different lighting and a couple Sekis in the mix
Is it just my eye, or would the comparison between LC200N and Magnacut imply, that the Magnacut version has the serrations ground under a more acute angle?

BTW, I really like the tone of the yellow FRN
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Matus wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:10 am
Is it just my eye, or would the comparison between LC200N and Magnacut imply, that the Magnacut version has the serrations ground under a more acute angle?
Naja, the Magnacut serrations do look deeper. Then again, that LC200N blade seems to have been well used.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Native5 Salt Lightweight Fully Serrated MagnaCut Yellow FRN in stock at GP Knives:
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-nativ ... 1syl5.html
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Matus wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:10 am

BTW, I really like the tone of the yellow FRN
I think the primary grind on the MagnaCut Native is more acute than the LC200N. Since the earlier photo I sharpened the tip on the MC blade to 15 degrees like I have it on the LC200N blade and you can see how much wider the bevel is on it vs. the LC. The serrations as is on the MC are actually more obtuse than the LC as 15 degrees on the SM hits the shoulder whereas the entire LC blade has been sharpened to 15 degrees.

-Turbo
Matus

Post by Matus »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:42 pm

I think the primary grind on the MagnaCut Native is more acute than the LC200N. Since the earlier photo I sharpened the tip on the MC blade to 15 degrees like I have it on the LC200N blade and you can see how much wider the bevel is on it vs. the LC. The serrations as is on the MC are actually more obtuse than the LC as 15 degrees on the SM hits the shoulder whereas the entire LC blade has been sharpened to 15 degrees.
Thanks a lot. That is a bit of a disappointment to see that the MC version is ground so thick - especially with a blade that has pretty good edge stability. But this may of course may be a result of what the production process can deliver reliably rather than what Spyderco would consider optimal. Hard to say of course, I am just speculating.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Matus wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:12 am
bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:42 pm

Thanks a lot. That is a bit of a disappointment to see that the MC version is ground so thick - especially with a blade that has pretty good edge stability. But this may of course may be a result of what the production process can deliver reliably rather than what Spyderco would consider optimal. Hard to say of course, I am just speculating.
As I read this I keep hearing, ‘geometry cuts’.
I would imagine there is a reason for it, but if this is the standard, it does seem to undermine the purpose of MagnaCut - tougher steel and therefore able to grind thinner and hold an edge.
I suppose I will just have to try it and see.