Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:33 am
I wonder if this could potentially hurt MagnaCut's reputation
more for us!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Remember, Sal’s comments are in relation to Salt knives which must resist corrosion, including galvanic, in far more hostile environment than most pocket knives will see. Let’s not read too much into any possible issues with MC.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Evil D wrote:
This discussion about the lock material not playing nice with MagnaCut makes me wonder what other companies are doing right or wrong in regards to this. I keep seeing other brands crank out MagnaCut knives and I wonder what they're doing with the heat treat and the lock steel relationship. It does give the impression that they're just pushing out the steel for the sake of sales and in the long run I wonder if this could potentially hurt MagnaCut's reputation if these knives are making it out into the world with less than great heat treat and such.
That's been my concern as well. I also have the thought that Spyderco is selling this as a salt knife and maybe the problem is similar to the issues with lc200n and galvanic corrosion. I've been itching for a magnacut knife to try out the steel and I trust Spyderco to a better heat treat and final product more than most other manufacturers.

I also want a fixed blade, but again, I am picky. The manufacturers I trust that make them are out of my price range, not styles that appeal to me, and/or sold out when I am ready to order. I will get the first Spyderco magnacut folder to hit the market, and while I like thge N5, I would like the teased manix lightweight even more. Probably end up with both eventually.

A premium bow river in magnacut would be a sweet surprise from Sal and gang!

Grizz
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gdwtvb wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:01 am
Evil D wrote:
This discussion about the lock material not playing nice with MagnaCut makes me wonder what other companies are doing right or wrong in regards to this. I keep seeing other brands crank out MagnaCut knives and I wonder what they're doing with the heat treat and the lock steel relationship. It does give the impression that they're just pushing out the steel for the sake of sales and in the long run I wonder if this could potentially hurt MagnaCut's reputation if these knives are making it out into the world with less than great heat treat and such.
That's been my concern as well. I also have the thought that Spyderco is selling this as a salt knife and maybe the problem is similar to the issues with lc200n and galvanic corrosion. I've been itching for a magnacut knife to try out the steel and I trust Spyderco to a better heat treat and final product more than most other manufacturers.

I also want a fixed blade, but again, I am picky. The manufacturers I trust that make them are out of my price range, not styles that appeal to me, and/or sold out when I am ready to order. I will get the first Spyderco magnacut folder to hit the market, and while I like thge N5, I would like the teased manix lightweight even more. Probably end up with both eventually.

A premium bow river in magnacut would be a sweet surprise from Sal and gang!

Grizz

I can highly recommend Big Chris for a MagnaCut fixie, but as you said they may be a little spendy for your budget. I do think he's pushing heat treat to the higher end though and his knives are very slicer oriented.

I also really like my MagnaCut mule, I'm sure those can still be bought somewhere at some price. It may also be that these mules were ran at a softer than optimal heat treat though, if they're going to such lengths to tweak it for the folders. As you said though this may have more to do with the Salt aspect than edge performance but it will ultimately effect it just the same.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been taking and using my magnacut mule on hikes. whatever they did with it has been good enough for me, especially for an outdoor blade. i love it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

In the current economic environment my knife spending will be extremely curtailed. About the only thing I can think of at the moment that will get me to open up my wallet is a "slicey" Magnacut folder.
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:28 pm
In the current economic environment my knife spending will be extremely curtailed. About the only thing I can think of at the moment that will get me to open up my wallet is a "slicey" Magnacut folder.
Make that a linerless Stretch 2 SS in Magnacut for me! *one can dream!*
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Evil D wrote:
I would say this is likely the case for the most part, although the vast majority of the Magnacut knives released that I've seen have been fixed blades, not that many folders iirc.
cjk

Post by cjk »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:40 am
Remember, Sal’s comments are in relation to Salt knives which must resist corrosion, including galvanic, in far more hostile environment than most pocket knives will see. Let’s not read too much into any possible issues with MC.
Quoted because this bears repeating. :smlling-eyes
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For the record all I'm reading into is what other companies may or may not be doing in regards to the issues Spyderco are seeing, which themselves may be less of an issue if those companies aren't trying to make Salt worthy knives. This in no way implies that there are problems with the steel itself, it's a production method concern and not a direct concern about the steel itself.
~David
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Is there any chance of getting these before Christmas? They would make excellent gifts for my diver friends.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Might need to grab one of these Magnacut Native 5's for my dad whenever they get released. Or one of the LC200N Salt models. He always finds a way to rust any pocket knife I give him :')

:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cjk wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:17 am
JRinFL wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:40 am
Quoted because this bears repeating. :smlling-eyes
Yes ! I will be patient and willing to wait for the Manix for however long it takes . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Guts wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:19 pm
Might need to grab one of these Magnacut Native 5's for my dad whenever they get released. Or one of the LC200N Salt models. He always finds a way to rust any pocket knife I give him :')

Native5 Salt LC200N Green FRN is a good substitute and you have a choice of PlainEdge™ and SpyderEdge™.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Guts

Post by Guts »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:16 pm
Guts wrote:

Native5 Salt LC200N Green FRN is a good substitute and you have a choice of PlainEdge™ and SpyderEdge™.

Totally forgot that model existed. I'll have to keep that in mind for sure.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Guts wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:55 pm
RamZar wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:16 pm
Guts wrote:

Totally forgot that model existed. I'll have to keep that in mind for sure.

The Native5 Salt LC200N PlainEdge & SpyderEdge Green FRN have been in stock at dealers since mid-September 2022.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:54 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:43 pm
FYI, We've got the heat treat of the MagnaCut blade down, thanx to Shawn and Larrin. the holdup is finding the best lock material to work with the blade. we've already nixed 2 different materials and we're now testing the 3rd.

sal

How often do you run into problems with blade and lock steels not working together, and in what ways do they not work? This is probably a detail that many of us have never considered (I certainly haven't). I'm assuming this is an issue with all locks? Is it more of an issue with some locks than others? Very interesting topic.

Ditto to all that!

Also, is the Heat Treat now geared more towards Toughness, Edge Retention or Corrosion Resistance? Will the Native5 with MagnaCut still be considered part of the Salt series?

The goal was to maximize the edge stability.

Testing was done between different heat treatment conditions to find the best compromises.

The stainlessness and toughness have more to do with the features of the steel design itself for the most part.

So, the objective was to get the edge to apex and deburr properly and have decent resistance to deformation with very thin edges. This will increase the edge performance in real world use.

Remember, If the microstructure can support a thin edge then it will do just fine with a thicker edge, however the opposite is not true.

HRC doesn't tell the full story due to the composite nature of the microstructure not being all the same hardness if you look at all the individual phases and constituents.

So, thats one reason why sharing HRC values can be misleading, it really depends on the heat treatment and the microstructure thats created.

So, the objective was not about trying to achieve the highest hardness possible.

I had a good discussion with Eric Glesser back in January at Shot Show 2022 about completely overhauling the MagnaCut heat treatment, I got a opportunity to test the MagnaCut Mules and MagnaCut PM2 and I shared directly with Spyderco what I felt could be improved.

For those that don't know me, I have had the privilege of getting early access to MagnaCut in 2021 and have gotten a lot of experience fine tuning to test its capabilities in a custom knife setting.

I was given complete access to Spyderco's treatment facility, we ran tests to make sure the heat treatment protocol was in agreement between different equipment and hardness testing.
Difficult decisions had to be made. Over the summer things were narrowed down to a few conditions and a clear winner was found.

I feel the future of heat treating in the knife industry will be focusing more on microstructure not just rockwell hardness.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Thin edge stability is the song of my people. Sounds like this will be WELL worth the wait.
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thanks for the inside scoop DBH! With a new steel I much prefer that Spyderco go to these lengths to optimize it before rushing to production. This is the downside inherent in the general public knowing about a new steel during its development; gotta stay patient!!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:36 am
RamZar wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:40 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:54 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:43 pm
FYI, We've got the heat treat of the MagnaCut blade down, thanx to Shawn and Larrin. the holdup is finding the best lock material to work with the blade. we've already nixed 2 different materials and we're now testing the 3rd.

sal

How often do you run into problems with blade and lock steels not working together, and in what ways do they not work? This is probably a detail that many of us have never considered (I certainly haven't). I'm assuming this is an issue with all locks? Is it more of an issue with some locks than others? Very interesting topic.

Ditto to all that!

Also, is the Heat Treat now geared more towards Toughness, Edge Retention or Corrosion Resistance? Will the Native5 with MagnaCut still be considered part of the Salt series?

The goal was to maximize the edge stability.

Testing was done between different heat treatment conditions to find the best compromises.

The stainlessness and toughness have more to do with the features of the steel design itself for the most part.

So, the objective was to get the edge to apex and deburr properly and have decent resistance to deformation with very thin edges. This will increase the edge performance in real world use.

Remember, If the microstructure can support a thin edge then it will do just fine with a thicker edge, however the opposite is not true.

HRC doesn't tell the full story due to the composite nature of the microstructure not being all the same hardness if you look at all the individual phases and constituents.

So, thats one reason why sharing HRC values can be misleading, it really depends on the heat treatment and the microstructure thats created.

So, the objective was not about trying to achieve the highest hardness possible.

I had a good discussion with Eric Glesser back in January at Shot Show 2022 about completely overhauling the MagnaCut heat treatment, I got a opportunity to test the MagnaCut Mules and MagnaCut PM2 and I shared directly with Spyderco what I felt could be improved.

For those that don't know me, I have had the privilege of getting early access to MagnaCut in 2021 and have gotten a lot of experience fine tuning to test its capabilities in a custom knife setting.

I was given complete access to Spyderco's treatment facility, we ran tests to make sure the heat treatment protocol was in agreement between different equipment and hardness testing.
Difficult decisions had to be made. Over the summer things were narrowed down to a few conditions and a clear winner was found.

I feel the future of heat treating in the knife industry will be focusing more on microstructure not just rockwell hardness.
I hear what you're saying about edge stability, etc, not disputing better or worse, but reading between the lines, it sounds like production Magnacut from Spyderco is it's probably going to run a little lower HRC than the Mules?

Can you provide any insight on the particular "difficult decisions" that were made? As an engineer I'm familiar with design/production tradeoffs in general, but was curious of any specifics that are available.