Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:44 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:42 am
Evil D wrote: Another detail I haven't heard mention of is galvanic corrosion, which we saw issues with LC200N and the need for coated hardware. I wonder if that'll be an issue with MagnaCut?
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 am
i'm wondering if the reason for looking to switch is the galvanic corrosion lc200n is subject to when places against other metals. if magnacut doesn't suffer the same corrosion, that might make it much easier to work with in designs. and, if that's the case, i bet that's a good trade-off from a production standpoint.
:winking-tongue

You know what happens when you assume right? 🤣
no one important has mentioned it that i've seen. i suppose it doesn't matter if we are just on here guessing about it being a factor.
;)

i'm still interested in this steel being grouped with the salts though. on larrins chart, s110v gets a rating of 9, magnacut gets a rating of 9.5, and lc200n gets a rating of 10. i know everyone talks about s110v being very corrosion resistant, but it's never been called a salt. and i've had a rust spot on my native salt that must just be a manufacturing issue or something (i thought previously that it was corrosion from contact with other steels on the sharpmaker, but it's in the same place on both sides of the edge, so it must be something with that spot of the blade). i'm curious to see what that half point means in real life when i get some magnacut in hand.

either way, i'm excited by the potential of another steel that i can not worry about rusting, especially with its other properties. and i'm still wondering if i spent the money on a chef at the exact wrong time.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Regarding your question about Vanax SC, there's a lot I can tell you about real world testing that has been under way since early 2018. But I don't want to steer this thread away from the original subject. In short summary, it's definitely just as corrosion resistant as LC200N.
No worries! I appreciated the reply, just wanted to clarify my intentions. But I totally did not know that last bit, that's awesome and super interesting. Evidently I need to do some digging about people's vanax experiences. I guess we can say this at least, in that case: magnacut is significantly less expensive than vanax! So that's another one in the plus column for it
Kale

Post by Kale »

It seems like most of the interest in Magnacut is due to it being tougher than steels like s30v (which I take to mean more chip-resistant). But this draws attention to the fact that Magnacut is also significantly more corrosion resistant, which is a great quality for pocket knives in general (it would be especially nice to pair with liner-free scales, since liners are where the rust usually starts).

I notice that LC200N is tougher than Magnacut, according to the chart posted in this thread. Would that have any practical significance, perhaps in a larger work knife like the Pacific Salt or Carribean? I have no clue, but I'd be curious what others think.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Who’s gonna be the first to put some micarta scales on this knife?

Bring the MAGNACARTA!

I intend to keep serrated H1 as a coastal and yard work blade, but am eager to try MagnaCut and will probably not bother with LC200N. I hope some of this new steel gets to Lance, and I wonder if LC200N will be replaced by MagnaCut in the Waterway and Siren. And others as well…
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:00 pm
Who’s gonna be the first to put some micarta scales on this knife?

Bring the MAGNACARTA!

I think as far as this forum goes Nate beat everyone to the punch with micarta scales on the MagnaCut mule, but surely there was already a custom out there somewhere with that combo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Yes, it was excellent. Need MOAR! 😂
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Someone else mentioned hoping that Cruwear doesn't get displaced from this combo in favor of MagnaCut and I mostly agree because I do like Cruwear, but this does seem like an inevitable combo. Maybe instead of brown micarta they should do black or tan or just something besides the same brown that Cruwear gets.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:49 pm
Someone else mentioned hoping that Cruwear doesn't get displaced from this combo in favor of MagnaCut and I mostly agree because I do like Cruwear, but this does seem like an inevitable combo. Maybe instead of brown micarta they should do black or tan or just something besides the same brown that Cruwear gets.
Just my guess , I would think that combo would have a different identity. Some color the would be associated only with Magnacut.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:55 pm
Evil D wrote:
Just my guess , I would think that combo would have a different identity. Some color the would be associated only with Magnacut.
Not sure it's gonna happen. Take the current switch on the Native 5, the yellow is the same.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Yeah I guess the Z-Wear version got a pass for being essentially the same combo.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

You guys both have made some valid points , I very well could be totally wrong. Nice to have you guys around to straighten me out . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:03 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Yeah I guess the Z-Wear version got a pass for being essentially the same combo.
From my understanding, Z-Wear IS Cruwear. I’d be thrilled with a different color micarta to go with MagnaCut. Is sure hope it doesn’t get pigeon-holed as a salt with yellow scales, nor plain black G-10.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

So when does this become available?
sal

Post by sal »

TBH, MagnaCut lab tested better in our testing than Larrin indicated. Now we need some real world testing on whether or not MagnaCut can actually be classified as a Salt? I think that information coming from you actually using and testing a production folder in MagnaCut, as a Salt with all of the ills and challenges with salt water, galvanic reaction, etc. would be most valuable for Larrin, Spyderco and anyone else watching. (sorry for the run-on sentence).

So now you have to get one. ;) If it turns out that MagnaCut does qualify to be a Salt, then great for Larrin and Crucible and you have a first production article. And you were instrumental in helping Real-World-Test it.

If t turns out that it isn't resistant enough to rank with H1 & LC, then you have the one and only production run of a Native 5 Salt. Any bets?

We would also like to hear about your experiences with the knife. Also please let us know where you live and how do other steels fair in your area

sal
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

That's awesome! I feel like I've got to get a PE Native Salt to go with my LC200N SE now!
So it goes.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

And these will be hitting the stores when? Not that I'm anxious/excited or anything mind you.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Sal, I can’t wait to do some real world testing to the native 5 Magnacut once they come out. Hawaii life can be quite tough (rusty) on my knives.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Freediver,

It rains rust in Hawaii.

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:53 pm
TBH, MagnaCut lab tested better in our testing than Larrin indicated. Now we need some real world testing on whether or not MagnaCut can actually be classified as a Salt? I think that information coming from you actually using and testing a production folder in MagnaCut, as a Salt with all of the ills and challenges with salt water, galvanic reaction, etc. would be most valuable for Larrin, Spyderco and anyone else watching. (sorry for the run-on sentence).

So now you have to get one. ;) If it turns out that MagnaCut does qualify to be a Salt, then great for Larrin and Crucible and you have a first production article. And you were instrumental in helping Real-World-Test it.

If t turns out that it isn't resistant enough to rank with H1 & LC, then you have the one and only production run of a Native 5 Salt. Any bets?

We would also like to hear about your experiences with the knife. Also please let us know where you live and how do other steels fair in your area

sal
I'll be happy to buy one just to put it through it's paces ! I don't know much about galvanic reactions but if it gets out before the summer, I can go in the rivers and the sea with it no problem ;) . After some time, it'll show pretty fast. IMO, if you can go 2 weeks in "tough" environments without seeing any rust appear, it's pretty salt-like !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

If somebody posted this already, sorry I missed it. Just noticed this was listed at knife center. The pics are for lc200n but price is 143.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PY ... rn-handles