Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doppelgänger

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by Doppelgänger »

I too would like to know if there is any news for these Magnatives.

I anticipate they will have another reveal like they did for the Stovepipe before we know dates.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm just hoping these won't sell out as fast as I think they will.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Being a fan of the Native 5 I'll buy one, but I bet I'll have to wait a restock ! I don't think there will only be one run, since the tests made by forumites and "outsiders" seems to indicate the steel behaves really well as a salt.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Gotta admit I'm rather excited for this one. Very much ready for a MagnaCut folder in my life. It's probably inevitable that the first run goes FAST.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 am
Being a fan of the Native 5 I'll buy one, but I bet I'll have to wait a restock ! I don't think there will only be one run, since the tests made by forumites and "outsiders" seems to indicate the steel behaves really well as a salt.
I’m slowly building back up my Native collection , I have passed on a couple variations just for this knife . I’m looking forward to this folder . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I guess I should admit I've never owned a Native, and I don't know why. I hope it will change in the future.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:14 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 am
I’m slowly building back up my Native collection , I have passed on a couple variations just for this knife . I’m looking forward to this folder . MG2
I wanted to wait for it patiently but am going to buy that Military tomorrow... Well we'll see when it drops :squinting-tongue
I posted pics in the Counterfeit subforum btw, I know nothing when it comes to the C36.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:26 pm
I guess I should admit I've never owned a Native, and I don't know why. I hope it will change in the future.
Get one, you won’t regret it. The native 5 is so good that it sets the standard for tough 3 inch work knives. “Yeah that edc is really awesome but it’s not Native 5 awesome” . It’s not trying to be the delica or bugout and it’s not a smaller version of something else. It was made for its throne.
👑
Just one more knife...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, that, a Chap and a Stretch XL are on the wish list.
T2C

Post by T2C »

Hi there, has there been any new announcements about this new N5 ?
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

T2C wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:48 am
Hi there, has there been any new announcements about this new N5 ?
I'm curious as well, I've had one on order since the end of December. In that time Hogue announced a new Deka (one of my favorite knives) in MagnaCut, now I have both on order. I'm curious to see which one will ship first, haven't decided whether to keep the order for the second place finisher or not.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

So far no news , but it will be worth the wait . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Matus

Post by Matus »

Given how many companies have already brought MagnaCut to serial production knives, it would be about the time for the N5 to pop up …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm starting to get concerned about the very slow release of this and other announced products from Spyderco. I understand about the pandemic and supply chain issues, but other companies have been able to get new products to market. One hopes all is well at Spyderco.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:23 am
I'm starting to get concerned about the very slow release of this and other announced products from Spyderco. I understand about the pandemic and supply chain issues, but other companies have been able to get new products to market. One hopes all is well at Spyderco.
That's pretty much how I feel about Spyderco lately. I hope all is good.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

JRinFL wrote:
Has a mass-manufactured knife company successfully released a magnacut knife to market yet, because a quick google search is showing nothing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really hope this one also comes in SE. I was thinking about a full SE Native 5 recently, I wanted something bigger than a Dragonfly but smaller than my usual carry and this seems like a nice sweet spot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bjz

Post by bjz »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:01 am
I really hope this one also comes in SE. I was thinking about a full SE Native 5 recently, I wanted something bigger than a Dragonfly but smaller than my usual carry and this seems like a nice sweet spot.
My native 5 is SE…my hope would be that they choose to grind the serrations more like the Caribbean/endela/Byrd/tenacious. Mine had daggers when I first got it and just last week decided to try and round them out a bit. It’s getting better, but has a long way to go (Ps, my bevel was pretty much spot on to the 15deg sharpmaker position).

Luckily for me I’ve already got SE covered so whenever the budget might allow for another N5, it’ll be a lw in either MC or spy27 or the fluted cf
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:44 am
JRinFL wrote:
Has a mass-manufactured knife company successfully released a magnacut knife to market yet, because a quick google search is showing nothing.
Depends on how you qualify mass-manufactured. Bradford released some of their guardians in Magnacut. Hogue did an exclusive Deka for SMKW in Magnacut and has some standard models for pre-order.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:28 am

Depends on how you qualify mass-manufactured. Bradford released some of their guardians in Magnacut. Hogue did an exclusive Deka for SMKW in Magnacut and has some standard models for pre-order.
I think the Deka counts, and I'm actually pretty into that SMKW colorway, *and* I've been considering a Deka since IMO Hogue is making a better-value bugout essentially, so I'm a *tiny* bit sad I missed that. That being said, point taken.