Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bjz

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by bjz »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:40 am
JSumm wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:28 am

Depends on how you qualify mass-manufactured. Bradford released some of their guardians in Magnacut. Hogue did an exclusive Deka for SMKW in Magnacut and has some standard models for pre-order.
I would hands down pick up a deka over a buyout in 20cv or MC, but I just really dislike thumb studs…spoiled for choice we are

I think the Deka counts, and I'm actually pretty into that SMKW colorway, *and* I've been considering a Deka since IMO Hogue is making a better-value bugout essentially, so I'm a *tiny* bit sad I missed that. That being said, point taken.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:44 am
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:23 am
I'm starting to get concerned about the very slow release of this and other announced products from Spyderco. I understand about the pandemic and supply chain issues, but other companies have been able to get new products to market. One hopes all is well at Spyderco.
Has a mass-manufactured knife company successfully released a magnacut knife to market yet, because a quick google search is showing nothing.
I had an answer but it got zapped when my connection dropped. Others have covered my point, so I won't clutter with now redundant posts.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

Tactile Knife Company (model Bexar), Bradford Knives, White River Knives (coming out with a 200 piece Magnacut M1 model soon), Bark River Knives (model Scout - last batch is Magnacut), Lionsteel.

The steel is now available even in Europe.

It may well be that Spyderco is processing even larger volumes and thus it takes longer. Most other larger-ish knife companies don't run their knives in multiple higher end steels, so we are unlikely to see ColdSteel or CRKT knvies in Magnacut anytime soon. Let's see about Benchmade.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Matus wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:10 am
Tactile Knife Company (model Bexar), Bradford Knives, White River Knives (coming out with a 200 piece Magnacut M1 model soon), Bark River Knives (model Scout - last batch is Magnacut), Lionsteel.

The steel is now available even in Europe.

It may well be that Spyderco is processing even larger volumes and thus it takes longer. Most other larger-ish knife companies don't run their knives in multiple higher end steels, so we are unlikely to see ColdSteel or CRKT knvies in Magnacut anytime soon. Let's see about Benchmade.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the M1. Been considering one of those for a while now, magancut would get me to finally order one if the price is reasonable.
:unicorn
bjz

Post by bjz »

^what he said! At this point an M1 backpacker in magnacut would be more appealing to me for actual hiking/backpacking than an N5 folder.
Matus

Post by Matus »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:19 am
I'll have to keep an eye out for the M1. Been considering one of those for a while now, magancut would get me to finally order one if the price is reasonable.
PM me if you need a link. The only places that seem to offer M1 in Magnacut (preoder) are in Germany for some reason. The price is ... not cheap.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Welp I guess I ordered my first magnacut knife and it's not a spyderco :face-clouds
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Hope it will be available for my birthday (September...)
MNOSD member 0011
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Still holding out for a Delica :)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:28 pm
Still holding out for a Delica :)
If it ever happens, I hope it will be a Salt 2 :winking-tongue
MNOSD member 0011
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

JSumm wrote:

Depends on how you qualify mass-manufactured. Bradford released some of their guardians in Magnacut. Hogue did an exclusive Deka for SMKW in Magnacut and has some standard models for pre-order.
I think the Deka counts, and I'm actually pretty into that SMKW colorway, *and* I've been considering a Deka since IMO Hogue is making a better-value bugout essentially, so I'm a *tiny* bit sad I missed that. That being said, point taken.
I'm bummed I missed the first drop on the SMKW Carbon Deka, probably my #1 grail knife right now... Wound up picking up my first Shaman at a brick and mortar store a few days later, so that has eased the pain some, lol.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Any updates on this? Thought it was supposed to be released months ago?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Same here. No idea what the delay is at this point.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:05 pm
Same here. No idea what the delay is at this point.
My guess is either supply chain issues, labor shortfall, or Larrin hoarded it all and is sitting on a pile in his basement guarding it with a well trained army of coyotes and bears.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Gtscotty wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:29 am
JSumm wrote:

I'm bummed I missed the first drop on the SMKW Carbon Deka, probably my #1 grail knife right now... Wound up picking up my first Shaman at a brick and mortar store a few days later, so that has eased the pain some, lol.
I probably shouldn't tell you that there was a second drop on the Sun-Zero MagnaCut Deka a few days ago...
Revival

Post by Revival »

I’m going back to Hawaii in July for vacation. I was hoping that the Native Magnacut was going to be my EDC while there. I was also hoping to surprise my Dad with one too. I doubt any of that will be the case now.
spoolboy

Post by spoolboy »

Any news on this release?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Is it finally available? Says “add to cart” and not “pre order”:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41PY ... rn-handles

Edit: when I click add to cart the page hangs. This work for anyone?
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Maybe a glitch? Only says "Pre-Order" for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Only preorder for me too.

Really hope the delay has to do with serrations 😊
All SE all the time since 2017
~David