Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BeggarSo

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by BeggarSo »

I asked DLT Trading if the ones they have in stock are LC200N or CPM Magnacut. DLT replied the ones currently in stock are LC200N.

Since most dealers are describing and showing pictures of these knives as LC200N I think it wise to take them at their advertisement and not expect Magnacut as clearly the older Yellow handled LC200N versions are still in-play out there.

That being said I am purchasing one of the Magnacut versions from National Knives today. Recently I used my LC200N version to cut a bunch or tie wraps on a knee scooter, (yeah hurt my ankle can't walk on it.) The scooter was packaged with tones of tie wraps anchoring it in place in the box.

Many of the tie wraps were not able to be gotten under to cut them loose. So I had no choice but to run the edge of the blade across the tops and try not to cut into the paint of the frame.

To my delight the LC200N version of this knife with the Spydie edge which I do keep sharp, cut those tie wraps like they were nothing at all. I grinned and thought yep ol Sal sure knew what he was doing with the Spydie edge all those years ago.

The only other knife I have in CPM Magnacut is my Bark River Bravo LT and it is my favorite fixed blade, this Magnacut is really something special.

Can't wait to se how it performs with a Spydie edge. :bug-red
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Got my shipping notification from KnifeCenter, and the email/order info does confirm that it's the MagnaCut version so unless they really screwed up and filled this order with the LC200N version I'd say they really have (or had) them in stock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

All who are now purchasing the Native5 Salt with Yellow FRN better check closely that the blade is indeed MagnaCut and NOT LC200N. If you really want Native5 Salt with LC200N they have Green FRN.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
z1r

Post by z1r »

I just wish the Magnacut was offered in green. No matter, when the PE comes available, I will learn to Rit Dye! :beaming-face
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:21 am
I just wish the Magnacut was offered in green. No matter, when the PE comes available, I will learn to Rit Dye! :beaming-face
DD6642C6-B24E-4BEC-98C9-6354095A0C57.jpeg
MRj “Weak things break!”
z1r

Post by z1r »

Nice.

I like the LC200N green. Hoping to replicate it. We'll see, gotta get the knife first.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:04 pm
Nice.

I like the LC200N green. Hoping to replicate it. We'll see, gotta get the knife first.
That will be tough starting with the yellow. You need buy the rex45 white from gp while it’s still in stock. It’s cheaper than buying the lc200n version to scale swap.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Matus

Post by Matus »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:04 pm
That will not work. Just buy both switch the scales and sell that yellow LC200N.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Forgot about this one. If Spyderco brings so many models I want this year, my amateur knife-making journey won't finance an electric kyln, only Spydercos :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

Here's my RIT dyed Pacific Salt ---- if you're OK with dark green (from yellow FRN), you should be able to easily achieve this.
pacific_green1.jpg
pacific_green.jpg
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Expected delivery today 😁

The one thing that's always great for me when I order from KnifeCenter is the shipping is always faster than expected because they're only about 500 miles from me.
~David
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:51 am

The one thing that's always great for me when I order from KnifeCenter is the shipping is always faster than expected because they're only about 500 miles from me.
I look forward to hearing how you get on with this David. Is it an SE you’ve gone for?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:41 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:51 am

I look forward to hearing how you get on with this David. Is it an SE you’ve gone for?

You know it 😁
~David
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Anyone know how many of each PE vs SE of these they are producing, % wise? I don't have a need or experience with any Salt, but I would think that for most salt applications, a SE would be a bit more useful for cutting rope, straps, emergency use underwater, etc. Also makes me wonder how past Salt sales of SE vs PE are split % wise.

I would bet that there will be a higher than normal interest in the PE version of this specific Salt, due to people wanting to try out this steel in a folding knife format, and this is the first offering of that kind. The Salt aspect is going to be mostly irrelevant to them, and probably even a slight deterrent due to the loud scale color, but not enough of a deterrent to not buy one :)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Am I just seeing things or is a different yellow than the other Salt yellow? Looks noticably more orange. I've seen the Salt yellow vary in shade between models over the years but I wonder if this is intentional to differentiate the steel?
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

salimoneus wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:28 am
Anyone know how many of each PE vs SE of these they are producing, % wise? I don't have a need or experience with any Salt, but I would think that for most salt applications, a SE would be a bit more useful for cutting rope, straps, emergency use underwater, etc. Also makes me wonder how past Salt sales of SE vs PE are split % wise.

I would bet that there will be a higher than normal interest in the PE version of this specific Salt, due to people wanting to try out this steel in a folding knife format, and this is the first offering of that kind. The Salt aspect is going to be mostly irrelevant to them, and probably even a slight deterrent due to the loud scale color, but not enough of a deterrent to not buy one :)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've written, but the Native 5 Salt is not the first offering of Magnacut in a folding knife. It's really not even close.

Salt knives are useful wherever knives are useful, just without the rust.

I'd expect the general knife buying public has way more interest in plainedge over spyderedge.
I'd also expect that there's a significant preference for plain edge even among knife aficionados, while less than the general knife buying public.
My off the cuff guess is that overall production is probably 15% or less spyderedge.
This particular knife is a regular catalog item. It's not like they're going to stop or not adapt to whatever sells the best.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm guessing he meant first MagnaCut folder from Spyderco.

And I have absolutely no doubt that this steel will not be limited to Salt models, this is just where it's starting. You could safely bet your life that there will be a MagnaCut Para 2. It's probably already in the cue.

Also looks like USPS overshot their delivery estimate unless the mailman is stopping by late this evening.
~David
inmyhousechillin

Post by inmyhousechillin »

SE available now from Spyderco......
z1r

Post by z1r »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:48 pm
Am I just seeing things or is a different yellow than the other Salt yellow? Looks noticably more orange. I've seen the Salt yellow vary in shade between models over the years but I wonder if this is intentional to differentiate the steel?
When I saw this in person at the SFO, the color didn't appear to be any different than any of the other Yellow Salt models.