UKPK - LC200N or BD1N?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

UKPK - LC200N or BD1N?

Post by Matus »

OK, after a long and tiring selection process I have narrowed down my EDC choice to UKPK in BD1N or LC200N. I must admit that I prefer the yellow scales with black hardware, but the LC200N has currently poor availability and is also noticeably more expensive than its BD1N counterpart.

My understanding is that there is not a large practical difference between these two steel when it comes to edge holding and edge stability (please correct me if I am wrong). LC200N is going to be more rust resistant, but I don't appear to have issues even with tool steels, so I would not expect to have any rust issues with the BD1N (which already has a very high rust resistance).

So I am left with the potential differences in the back-spring and (half) stops and maybe F&F. Is there any difference between these two knives in this regard?

Thank you
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Christian Noble

Re: UKPK - LC200N or BD1N?

Post by Christian Noble »

LC200N is tougher than BD1N. That with the advantages of it being a Salt with similar edge retention, I’d pay the extra money for the LC200N. The yellow with black hardware of the UKPK is also more aesthetically appealing than the other yellow/black Salts (or I am just used to the silver hardware LOL), it just works.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Have you considered the SE UKPK Salt? I heartily recommend it.
Matus

Post by Matus »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:21 am
Have you considered the SE UKPK Salt? I heartily recommend it.
I would lie if I would say I did not consider a SE version, but most of the cutting I expect with this knife is not really needing it and it may even be contra productive. The only 'knife' with a serrated edge I have is the Leatherman Skeletool RX. In my opinion the serrations are well made (and look nearly identical to UKPK Salt SE, accidentally). They work great when one needs to rip through a thick plastic packaging or strip a wire (this works great!), but I would not want to cut an apple with it.
bjz

Post by bjz »

It kind of sounds like this selection would almost exclusively be used for simple office/home/kitchen tasks…if so, the bd1n option would more than suffice. I love mine for similar usage. I have not owned an LC200N version to provide a counterpoint though.

Not to toss a wrench in your plan, but have you looked into the Byrd tern at all? The tern was my ONLY daily carry knife for darn near a decade. The fit and finish on all of mine (building security had grubby hands so I had to replace it a few times) was great. I like the feel of the liner less g10 and full length spring better than UKPN and also like the half stop on this knife better! In the half stop position, the finger choil fully protects your finger whereas the UKPN blade could easily bite you if you are not careful. Tern is a bit smaller, and the blade a bit thicker, but the ergos are every bit as perfect as the UKPN.

Yep, I’m fully aware of what steel the tern made of…has yet to be an issue.

They are all stellar values in my humble opinion!
Matus

Post by Matus »

Byrd Tern is definitely an interesting design, but it offers nothing that I would want over an UKPK. Yes, the price is really good (about half of the UKPK in BD1N)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The UKPK SE Salt surprisingly turned out to be the knife of the year for me. Incredibly handy.
Matus

Post by Matus »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:17 am
The UKPK SE Salt surprisingly turned out to be the knife of the year for me. Incredibly handy.
What tasks do you throw at it and what not?
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Matus wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:25 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:17 am
What tasks do you throw at it and what not?
For surf fishing it really excels. Abuse it and forget about it. No fuss no muss. Catch fish. Toss it on the beach sand. Stab it through both gills with one in/out stroke and fish is bleeding out for better culinary quality. (bigger fish will require that you flip the fish over.) Stabbing through the gills and into the sand is no problem. A wrist flick to shake off the sand and blood and back into your pocket until you get home or tomorrow or next week or next month. It doesn't matter when you get around to washing it off. So light you can take it just about anywhere. Even clip it in your shirt pocket. Sliciest serrated Spyderco blade I own and I own a few.

I prefer PE for more precision cuts in protein like filleting a fish.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thank you
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Between BD1N and LC200N ... nothing magical with either, I'd go with the color of FRN/hardware you like best if there is a preference.

My preference is black frn since it doesn't show dirt as easily.

There is a S110V option available. :cowboy
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm sure both choices are good. I'd prefer the BD1N
cycleguy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:45 am
There is a S110V option available. :cowboy
I have one. Best thing about it is the color
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That yellow looks nice and there is something about not having to worry about a knife that is appealing. I don't have the LC200N, though it is on my to buy list. I do have the S110V and the BD1N. I like the BD1N pretty well. I know this steel inside and out. It is not at good at edge retention as VG-10, but it is close enough for government work, as the old saying goes. It is good enough and it is easy to sharpen, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:50 am
I'm sure both choices are good. I'd prefer the BD1N
cycleguy wrote: