confused on the reveal thing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bigboned

confused on the reveal thing

Post by bigboned »

Apologies if this post is redundant and i havnt seen it mentioned.
First off im in agreement with why the reveal process has changed - thats not a problem

where im confused is how or when reveals happen - i have the app, notifications etc are all on but yet turns out 2 new reveals are on their i didnt know about, i seen stuff from retailers that i didnt know about, i just dont know where im supposed to go to get the info? or even when?

surely app should notify or even a sticky on the top of the forum so new items can be seen.
maybe im caught up with pre-xmas anxieties etc and either im missing something or i just dont get it

not a rant
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
aicolainen

Re: confused on the reveal thing

Post by aicolainen »

It's pretty well sorted out in the latest byte
Though, if it isn't working exactly like that at the moment, maybe they just need a little time and a few tries themselves, before the new process is running smoothly.
With this method, new Spyderco products are now announced to the public digitally through our social media platforms and the Spyderco Smartphone app. The timing of these digital “Reveals” is driven by the actual on-the-shelf availability of the product. When you learn about it, the initial inventory of that product is already in-house and ready to ship to our dealers and distributors or consumer-direct to you through Spyderco.com.
With this new process, there will not be a set schedule for digital Reveals. When a new product is in-house and ready to ship, we’ll announce it. Digital product Reveals will then be periodically consolidated into printed Reveals to supplement our annual catalog and support trade-show events. On occasion, we may also choose to showcase special new-product announcements in the printed Reveal format.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If your concern has anything to do with sprints and exclusives, you would do well not relying on the app for that anyway and pay close attention to the forum and even dealer social media pages. Generally the forum is on top of it, once it's posted somewhere it's almost always shared here, usually with a new thread.

For everything else the app is probably fine but also check your spam email folder for Spyderbytes, that's where they always end up when I get them and they're easy to miss.

One important detail with the app, make sure you have "heads up" turned on, it seems to default to off and I don't know if I've ever gotten a notification from the app. I just turned it on myself so we'll see.

Screenshot_20211206-103953_Spyderco.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:42 am
If your concern has anything to do with sprints and exclusives, you would do well not relying on the app for that anyway and pay close attention to the forum and even dealer social media pages. Generally the forum is on top of it, once it's posted somewhere it's almost always shared here, usually with a new thread.

For everything else the app is probably fine but also check your spam email folder for Spyderbytes, that's where they always end up when I get them and they're easy to miss.

One important detail with the app, make sure you have "heads up" turned on, it seems to default to off and I don't know if I've ever gotten a notification from the app. I just turned it on myself so we'll see.

"Heads-up" isn't notifications for reveals. It's a warning system for knife restricted locations. It requires location access, so I've always left it off.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

eRoc wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:59 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:42 am

"Heads-up" isn't notifications for reveals. It's a warning system for knife restricted locations. It requires location access, so I've always left it off.

Yeah apparently I can't read 🤣

I skim read it. So, that takes me back to my other comment, I don't think I've ever gotten a notification about releases from the app and the notifications are turned on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I find notifications from the app to be notoriously glitchy. Lately, it seems I just get no notices about new knives.. but then sometimes i'll get three notifications on the same release. There's no rhyme or reason to it that I've been able to determine.

For up to date and (usually) accurate information about new releases, this forum is my go-to resource.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I got a couple notifications soon after they did an update or something but after those, it has been radio silence from the Spyderco app.

Exclusives are usually announced via the dealer that commissioned them and will then be shared by the members here. As others have said, this forum is often the best resource for keeping track of new releases.

———

As of now, the reveals will feature single products that are ready to ship to dealers. After enough of these individual product reveals have been released, they will be compiled together and put into a reveal catalog similar to the ones we have become use to seeing.

For us, the customers, the timing of these product reveals is random. It’s based on when Spyderco has the products ready to ship.
-Nick :bug-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I've received notifications from the past few releases on Android. Magnacut Mule Team being the latest. I think it's iOS that is still not getting notifications?
So far the app is the best at proactively notifying of new releases. I'm sure they'll get the app squared away eventually, but you may have to open it up to find things out until then. I did receive the email for the Wharnie Endela reveal but the email system has excluded the Exclusives and Mule. The Spyderco Twitter, FB and IG accounts will notify but they sometimes skip things and/or you'll get notified about everything posted on the pages.
The first post in Ramzar's Delivered & Upcoming thread is a great resource but it requires visiting the Forum and finding it... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88444
•• Beau
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Forum seems best to me, wish the notifications on the app worked...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I get no notifications from the app, I used to, but nothing in many months. Also, the airport notification has never worked for me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I find I have to close and re-open the Spyderco App frequently, otherwise it does not update. I have a few other apps with the same issue, so it is not isolated to the Spyderco app. Also make sure the app is set for background refresh or whatever term Android uses for the same function.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Recently deleted the Spyderco app. Couldn't find the benefit. Forum is better.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189