Manix 2 XL - CBB is light?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crox

Manix 2 XL - CBB is light?

Post by Crox »

TLDR; new Manix XL spring feels very light. Is that normal?

I bought my first Manix this year (m390). I found the CBB very heavy, but I got used it it and it broke in. Now, I love it. Decided to also get the Manix2 lw. Found the CBB feeling to pretty much match the g10. Loved it.

Why not round it out with the XL? Well it just arrived from a reputable dealer and I find the CBB to be MUCH lighter brand new out of the box. Like I perceive half the spring force. It feels more like an Axis lock. The construction looks mostly the same. Spring might look slightly less compressed in the XL but hard to say for sure.

I’m not really complaining, but is this normal? Have others experienced this?

Thanks!
Attachments
95538162-5E19-427C-8BE9-58F44FC303EE.jpeg
Albertaboyscott

Re: Manix 2 XL - CBB is light?

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Mine is heavy even after a few months. I like it that way
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

My Rex45 Manix 2 lock is heavy. Definitely have to use two fingers.
I purchased an M4 Manix 2 XL for a buddy and i could operate the lock with just my thumb straight out of the box.
•• Beau
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I think it has to do with it being larger, so you have more purchase and that makes it easier to operate and makes it seem lighter. Only way to tell is to measure the force it takes. I'm sure there is some variation, but probably not that much.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Crox

Post by Crox »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:52 pm
I purchased an M4 Manix 2 XL for a buddy and i could operate the lock with just my thumb straight out of the box.
I tried that and matches my experience. No problem one thumb operating the new XL. Can’t really do it on the regular Manix (I was able to with everything I have - wouldn’t really work in real use).

Again, I’m not really concerned, just surprised by the variation.
Crox

Post by Crox »

soc_monki wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:14 pm
I think it has to do with it being larger, so you have more purchase and that makes it easier to operate and makes it seem lighter. Only way to tell is to measure the force it takes. I'm sure there is some variation, but probably not that much.
Definitely not the handle in my case. Difference is very noticeable.

My OCD also had me thinking of measuring the force. Good excuse to buy a new gadget :squinting-tongue
Crox

Post by Crox »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:52 pm
… and thanks BTW…. I don’t feel alone now….
vivi

Post by vivi »

every manix xl i've handled i could unlock with just my thumb.

but i can also say that about every cbbl knife i've handled .

my xl's don't feel particularly light vs other models.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I do not think it should feel any different, you'll have better purchase but the lock interface is the same.
Even the spring and ball are the same. For you to notice it that clearly, there might be a difference in the spring ?

If you do not feel comfortable with it, maybe spyderco customer service could provide you with informations or even a solution if need be !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 am
every manix xl i've handled i could unlock with just my thumb.

but i can also say that about every cbbl knife i've handled .

As always when it comes to this topic I second Vivi: I don´t have a Manix XL, but on every Manix 2 I´ve handled (though just 5 as far as I can recall) the lock could easily be unlocked with either just thumb or just index finger.

Though I admit: A bit stronger fingers (from climbing or work or just genetics or whatever) obviously have to be one considerable factor here.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Crox

Post by Crox »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:39 am
I do not think it should feel any different, you'll have better purchase but the lock interface is the same.
Even the spring and ball are the same. For you to notice it that clearly, there might be a difference in the spring ?

If you do not feel comfortable with it, maybe spyderco customer service could provide you with informations or even a solution if need be !
Yes I feel like either the spring is different or under less tension somehow. Maybe supply chain causes use of multiple vendors? Alternate parts? Who knows.

I feel okay with it. As I’ve looked at it, I don’t feel it is unsafe. I cant see that anything is wrong and if I hadn’t been trained on the heavy manix I’d have been no wiser to it.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Crox wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:36 am
Ramonade wrote:

Yes I feel like either the spring is different or under less tension somehow. Maybe supply chain causes use of multiple vendors? Alternate parts? Who knows.

I feel okay with it. As I’ve looked at it, I don’t feel it is unsafe. I cant see that anything is wrong and if I hadn’t been trained on the heavy manix I’d have been no wiser to it.
If your XL comes from the last batch, it might be related to the CQI ? I only have the LW and am pleased with it but I have seen a lot of comments by people thinking the spring was to stiff for them to operate the lock at their convenance.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Crox

Post by Crox »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 am
Crox wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:36 am
Ramonade wrote:

If your XL comes from the last batch, it might be related to the CQI ? I only have the LW and am pleased with it but I have seen a lot of comments by people thinking the spring was to stiff for them to operate the lock at their convenance.
Similar thinking here and was partly why I posted. Wondered about CQI.

Date code on the stiff Manix is “BU”. The XL that is light was a “GU”.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think I'd contact customer service. I had an XL and the spring was so strong it was a two handed knife. I could do one hand, but it was so difficult it wasn't worth the effort. The springs in the Manix used to be a lot lighter, but testing showed that the lock failed under hard use, so they made the springs stronger. With that heavy blade, I can't see them going lighter, again.

I don't know where you got the knife, but it is also possible the knife was a return. The previous buyer found the spring too hard and cut a coil or two off, making it much lighter, then returned it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crox

Post by Crox »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:36 am
I think I'd contact customer service. I had an XL and the spring was so strong it was a two handed knife. I could do one hand, but it was so difficult it wasn't worth the effort. The springs in the Manix used to be a lot lighter, but testing showed that the lock failed under hard use, so they made the springs stronger. With that heavy blade, I can't see them going lighter, again.

I don't know where you got the knife, but it is also possible the knife was a return. The previous buyer found the spring too hard and cut a coil or two off, making it much lighter, then returned it.
Yeah I suppose, unlikely they would go back to lighter option.

Re return. That could be. It sure seemed brand new. Can’t see that it’s been handled in any way.

Generally it seems like there is a variety of different experiences here with the tension on these locks.