What steel(s) would you choose? kitchen/general use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Steeltoez83

Re: What steel(s) would you choose? kitchen/general use

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Id give him a spyderco gauntlet or sharpmaker first. Then he can begin a healthy routine of maintaining a edge on his own cutlery. And decide from there if a change is required or not.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I have a set of 4 LT Wright camp kitchen in AEB-L and they are fantastic.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The value, quality and steel are all excellent it seems. This is a spyderco forum though :winking-tongue :bug-red
I guess the question is what Spyderco kitchen knives
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:20 pm
Yikes, thats a horrific knife sharpener. Geometry on those knives looks horrendous but looking at the price it is what it is.

When It comes to vg10 it depends on the maker/manufacturer.

Tojiro does a good job as does Spyderco.

There are some companies they could do a little more R&D on their heat treatment.
You know on second thought that sharpener is a horrible idea. I didn't think of the geometry of the edge it would make. A concave edge along with misusing a knife is a recipe for disaster. The Gauntlet would be 10x better and easy to use for someone unskilled.

I love VG-10, but I have had bad luck with the knives I've gifted that use it. This is in regards to misuse though. Things like chopping on plastic, cutting on glass, using the knife for prying things apart, etc. I've always seen it turn into a chipped edge. I've explaining that simply cutting straight without twisting the knife and cutting on a soft cutting board will make the edge last much longer but it's never worked. This is why I've switched to 420 and similar steels. They roll and are easy to repair. I also don't die inside when they sharpen them with a carbide edge peeler.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’ve got AEBL and HAP40 that I really like.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Alexander135 wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:30 am
This is in regards to misuse though. Things like chopping on plastic, cutting on glass, using the knife for prying things apart, etc. I've always seen it turn into a chipped edge. I've explaining that simply cutting straight without twisting the knife and cutting on a soft cutting board will make the edge last much longer but it's never worked. This is why I've switched to 420 and similar steels. They roll and are easy to repair. I also don't die inside when they sharpen them with a carbide edge peeler.
Yeah... I have gifted SAKs that got bent knife tips... You know, it's not simply prying with a pocket knife blade, it's prying with the blade when you've got a dedicated tool for that. Folks are so used to pry with a knife that won't even bother to open the right tool for the job.