Heron by Chad Kelly ... collab?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xplorer

Re: Heron by Chad Kelly ... collab?

Post by Xplorer »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:40 am
This fixie was custom made for me by Chad Kelly. Mark my words, the man is a true master . Once again, thank you Chad ! I treasure this beauty. Looking forward to a collab with Spyderco.

Thank you for the very kind words Marius! :smlling-eyes

Generally speaking every time I make a knife the one I'm working on is my current favorite knife. But, when I think back about all knives I've made for others there are about 7 that stand out in my mind as knives I wish I still owned myself. You my friend, have 2 of those knives! (Tom's orange and black Coop is one of them, Andy's #001 Osprey is one them as well, Lance Clinton has two of my favorites also) The Ojisa you posted here is without question one of my all-time favorites. Thank you for sharing a picture!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:42 am
Now I definitely want a Heron. :)

Selfishly, I think I'd rather see the Heron as a collaboration, because that way I could get my hands on one.

The Heron does seem like a size with a larger market appeal to me. It seems like the EDC market is dominated by folders, and most people would put the Coop in the EDC role, rather than an outdoors role. Most people buying fixed blades seem to want larger fixed blades. I could be wrong though. I know several people on this forum who EDC fixed blades (myself included). It's just much rarer to see that in the general public, even where I live out here in the provinces (where seeing people carrying fixed blades--or handguns--doesn't really cause any surprise). On the other hand, the average member of the public is unlikely to buy a knife in the Spyderco collaboration price range for any reason, so maybe that's not an important consideration.
Now that you have a Coop I can understand why you'd want the larger cousin (Heron) too. I think I agree that the Heron might appeal to more people than the Coop, but it's hard to guess. While the Heron is the better overall sportsman's tool, the Coop is easier to carry and can even be dropped in a pocket...also small enough to be legally concealed. At the moment I'm inclined to suggest to Sal that we do a Heron collab but there's a question looming that you alluded to, it's bigger than which fixed blade to go with...and I'm struggling with how to answer the question.

The question is...do I suggest a fixed blade or a folder?

Spyderco is not Bark River. Spyderco's niche is definitely folders and not fixed blades....for good reason. While there's a good size pool of sportsman and knife enthusiasts who appreciate a good fixed blade, there's a virtual sea full of people who appreciate a good folding pocket knife. The easy thing for me to do is to suggest a fixed blade, as I have 10 designs to draw upon and I can whip up a prototype to send Sal pretty fast...comparatively fast. On the other hand, if I suggest a fixed blade now and it "dies on the vine" because of low sales volume I might not get another shot. I have one folder design completed (I've been carrying it daily for about 2 years now) and I have another one (a larger one) designed with milling and drilling fixtures built but the knife itself has not been built. Both are mid back-locks. The difficulty for me on those is that I'm not sure if I want to suggest a back-lock at all. That would likely lead to more demand for my custom version and frankly, back-locks are the most difficult build by hand and take more time than people are realistically willing to pay for. So, if I want to suggest a folder I may have to design another one right now. My brain is twisted into a pretzel over this right now. I got pretzels in my brain! :exploding-head :grin-smiling-eyes

Here's my "Piute" that has been my EDC folder for the past 2 years. It's a Ti frame with marbled CF and paper micarta scales. This particular version uses all Ti. hardware, Ti back-spacer, Vanax blade, Vanax lock bar, Ti lock bar pivot and a special CF spring that I developed. The idea with the material choices on this particular build was to make it completely corrosion proof.

Before anyone tells me I misspelled Piute...I know. The native tribe is spelled Paiute. This knife is named after the mountain pass where I was backpacking when I got the final inspiration to complete this design. I was in Piute pass and Piute lake and had just caught a Piute cutthroat trout. :smlling-eyes
bjz

Post by bjz »

Just one opinion here, but my vote would be Coop/medium-ish fixed blade.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:34 am
I’m in for anything Spyderco does in collaboration

But any chance to show this beauty….

The Osprey is a larger offering. This was my 50th present to myself. I gave Chad free range with the design and now enjoy the spoils.
Don’t let the prettiest knife I own fool you. This will be used like every knife I own in Northern Australia and it’s been made for it. It came with a swag of sheaths as I think Chad covered all my wishes for carry.

My preferred carry
Thank you for sharing pics of your Osprey Andy!

Once again, thank you for trusting me and for being willing to accept this knife without ever seeing it!

I wasn't sure about the brown kydex sheath. I almost sent that knife with only the leather sheath and the black sheath but threw in the brown one because it obviously only fits that knife anyway. I think it's funny that the brown one is the one you like best. I'm glad I included it. :grin-smiling-eyes

I hope your Osprey serves you well and I look forward to seeing pictures of it over time.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Just my nobody opinion. As much as I love the smaller fixed blade designs for EDC, I think the smaller market of fixed blades could be a miss for such a great opportunity. Even in my collection, the fixed blades are a fraction of the knives. As cool as it would be to have a fixed blade collaboration, it would be cooler to see mass market success of the design. That is a great opportunity for your name.

I think a folder with the essence of your designs baked in would show off the art. A Collab Mid-Baclock! Oh man that would be awesome, but I realize the concern there.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

bjz wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:10 pm
Just one opinion here, but my vote would be Coop/medium-ish fixed blade.
Thank you! I appreciate the input. :smlling-eyes
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:14 pm
Just my nobody opinion. As much as I love the smaller fixed blade designs for EDC, I think the smaller market of fixed blades could be a miss for such a great opportunity. Even in my collection, the fixed blades are a fraction of the knives. As cool as it would be to have a fixed blade collaboration, it would be cooler to see mass market success of the design. That is a great opportunity for your name.

I think a folder with the essence of your designs baked in would show off the art. A Collab Mid-Baclock! Oh man that would be awesome, but I realize the concern there.
Thank you! I appreciate the input. I tend to think everything you're saying is correct..still not an easy decision though. :spiral-eyes
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

That is some really REALLY awesome workmanship and taste!!!! Well done!

But the naming convention may need to alter some if connected to Spyderco to avoid any overlap with the Byrds... ;)
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chad,

Thanx for the email.

Regarding your design; While it is nice to have a maker/collaborator make a prototype, it isn't entirely necessary. We can engineer your design. You will work with Peter on the design and the CAD drawings. Once we're OK with the final results, our Prototype man, Roque, can make a proto to see if there are any glitches. Then we go from there.

I must tell you that as backed up as we are right now, you'll need to be patient with production being later than we'd all like.

BTW, I would like to purchase one of your Coop designs, with a sheath, for my wife Gail. She likes your design and she likes green.

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I really hope it moves past the prototyping stage. Looking forward to Shawn's (BBB/deadboxhero) and Chad's (Xplorer) Spyderco collabs in the future!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 pm
That is some really REALLY awesome workmanship and taste!!!! Well done!

But the naming convention may need to alter some if connected to Spyderco to avoid any overlap with the Byrds... ;)
Thank you!

And yes, I imagine any collaboration will carry a new name. Actually naming production knives can be tricky. There's been so many knife designs that darn near every name you can think of is taken already. It's almost to the point of having to resort to foreign languages or just misspelling words to come up with something close to what you want. Spyderco checks stuff like that. I don't. I'll be relying on their expertise on that one. Also, there's a pretty good likelihood that the knife ends up being something entirely new and a new name will be needed anyway. ;)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:24 pm
Hi Chad,

Thanx for the email.

Regarding your design; While it is nice to have a maker/collaborator make a prototype, it isn't entirely necessary. We can engineer your design. You will work with Peter on the design and the CAD drawings. Once we're OK with the final results, our Prototype man, Roque, can make a proto to see if there are any glitches. Then we go from there.

I must tell you that as backed up as we are right now, you'll need to be patient with production being later than we'd all like.

BTW, I would like to purchase one of your Coop designs, with a sheath, for my wife Gail. She likes your design and she likes green.

sal
Thank you Sal!

I sent you another email that answers your questions and shows you where I'm at regarding a design proposal.

I know you guys are backed up. Soooo..you're thinking like March..maybe April for production to wrap up? :winking-tongue
JK, I know this is a slow process.

OK WOW! :astonished ...Gail wants a Coop?! :exploding-head :exploding-head :exploding-head That's awesome! :cheap-sunglasses

First let me say, I spent about 2 hours talking with Gail at the outlet one day, and she even walked me over to the boat factory and showed me her boats too. Gail is amazing! I could have easily spent the whole day talking with her. You two make quite the couple! I am beyond flattered to be asked to make a Coop for Gail!!

As for charging her for it.. :') :') :') ...thank you for being so polite. She's not your average knife customer, ya' know. ;)

The honor of knowing she'd be willing to carry one of my knives is enough for me.

A couple of early questions in case I need to order any materials...
1. What steel would she prefer?
2. Is there any particular green material that she would like best?

Chad :bug-white-red
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:00 pm
I really hope it moves past the prototyping stage. Looking forward to Shawn's (BBB/deadboxhero) and Chad's (Xplorer) Spyderco collabs in the future!
Thank you! I'm hoping it gets past the proto stage as well. :crossed-fingers ;)

I too am looking forward to a BBB/Spyderco collab. That's a knife I already plan to carry even though I haven't even seen it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chad,

Since Gail is in the Islands, she says she would prefer on non rusting steel. You can use LC200N or Magnacut. We can send you some steel. Email Alex (asmith@spyderco.com or Gabney (Gabney@spyderco.com). Gail said she like green and orange.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

LC200N is about as corrosion resistant but much tougher steel with good edge stability. LC200N would be a great steel for this kind of project since the heron looks like it could double duty in the kitchen when needed or just an EDC fixed utility/food prep knife. I am liking Z-Wear and I am sure to love Magna Cut too but a lot of Spyderco people like myself are clamoring for more LC200N. I might have to get one be it Maggie cut or LC200N or Z-wear.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Just my 2cents.
correct me if I am wrong, prototype to market is easier with a fixed, right? Perhaps start with a fixed to garner more appeal and then folder like the waterway and siren route? Chad, Your work looks awesome showing lots of passion and a well finished product.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:06 am
Hi Chad,

Since Gail is in the Islands, she says she would prefer on non rusting steel. You can use LC200N or Magnacut. We can send you some steel. Email Alex (asmith@spyderco.com or Gabney (Gabney@spyderco.com). Gail said she like green and orange.

sal
I have just enough LC200N left to make a Coop, and I also have plenty of Vanax if she would like to try that as well. If she prefers Magnacut that's the only one I would need sent to me since I don't have any left and it's currently unavailable again.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:22 am
LC200N is about as corrosion resistant but much tougher steel with good edge stability. LC200N would be a great steel for this kind of project since the heron looks like it could double duty in the kitchen when needed or just an EDC fixed utility/food prep knife. I am liking Z-Wear and I am sure to love Magna Cut too but a lot of Spyderco people like myself are clamoring for more LC200N. I might have to get one be it Maggie cut or LC200N or Z-wear.
I hear you. I know LC200N well and have made many knives with it. The first knife (Heron #001) pictured in this thread is LC200N. Since the Heron was originally designed for a fishing boat captain who needed an EDC that could handle bait prep, rope cutting, and whatever may come while exploring island shallows on foot it made sense for it to be a very corrosion resistant knife.

The second Heron followed the same corrosion free path and I made it in Vanax.

The corrosion resistance that Magnacut demonstrates is excellent as well. All of those steels are fine choices. Z-wear is of course the only one I'm considering that is not stainless. When we're talking about steels that are all well balanced with respect to wear resistance, toughness and corrosion resistance, edge retention and sharpening characteristics outweigh corrosion resistance for me. So, there's a lot of good choices and no real bad options here IMO. Cost, processing and factory locations can play a role in the decision as well. There's a lot to consider but, we're blessed to have so many great options.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:35 am
Just my 2cents.
correct me if I am wrong, prototype to market is easier with a fixed, right? Perhaps start with a fixed to garner more appeal and then folder like the waterway and siren route? Chad, Your work looks awesome showing lots of passion and a well finished product.
Thank you very much for the kind words!

Definitely easier to go with a fixed blade. Waaaaaayyy easier.

But I tell my kids with all sincerity...obstacles and challenges are literally the gateways to greatness. This is looking to me like a time that I need to embrace the challenges and overcome the obstacles.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Wise words. Your folder is sublime. I don’t doubt that you could not make an amazing folder collaboration, I would just love to see two rather than one.