Vasilli - apology

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Vasilli - apology

Post by sal »

This for Vasilli;

We had a regular forumite on this forum. His name was Vasilli. He was bright and an important part of this forum. Then we made a Mule Team that turned out to be bad and we were trying to recall them. He had already made a custom handle and he wanted more than the cost of the Mule Team. We were in no position at the time to fill his request and in the conversation, I insulted him. My Bad. I was a jerk.

Now it looks like we might be able to meet his desire.

SSssoooo, I want to apologize to Vasilli; I'm sorry Sir, and I would humbly invite you to return to our forum.

sal
cabfrank

Re: Vasilli - apology

Post by cabfrank »

Unbelievable. So good.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man. - Shakespeare

I continue to be impressed with the classy way this operation runs. The honest and humble behavior at the top most assuredly works it way throughout the company. You’ve definitely got two customers for life (my 8 year old son and I). Santa is bringing him the Damascus Dragonfly he asked for!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hi Sal ! Congratulations, you just inhaled the good and exhaled the bad . Deepest regards Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can understand his side though, it would really suck to make the handle (assuming it was epoxied/pinned on) only to hear that the blade is recalled and not fit to use. That would suck even more if you paid someone else to do the work. That's a hard situation for a company too, they're already swallowing the loss of the product and handing out refunds and losing money on the whole production. It's just a bad situation all around, and how it's handled on both sides makes all the difference.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, once more: This highlights one big reason why I like Spyderco so much.

It should be "normal", but I know from experience it is not AT ALL the case that especially leading figures of a company act like Sal does here, and even less so that openly.

Hope Vasilli reads this and it all can get sorted out.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

He was as passionate as anyone about knives.
:unicorn
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I was never certain how many of his confrontational issues were language barrier and how many were his personality. Pretty sure Sal wasn't the only one being a jerk or tossing insults in that conversation, based on reading a lot of his posts over the years. Yes, he was passionate about knives. He was also rude, abrasive and confrontational even more often than I am, which isn't easy.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

These days, angry confrontation is the default - calling out whoever you think has wronged you is seen as bold and admirable.

However, I would posit that a sincere apology demonstrates far more courage and character. It shows that pride is not your only value, and that doing the right thing is more important than feeling vindicated.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:50 am
These days, angry confrontation is the default - calling out whoever you think has wronged you is seen as bold and admirable.

However, I would posit that a sincere apology demonstrates far more courage and character. It shows that pride is not your only value, and that doing the right thing is more important than feeling vindicated.
You just nailed it . I couldn’t agree more . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:20 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:

You just nailed it . I couldn’t agree more . Regards MG2
:up-index-finger :up-index-finger :up-index-finger
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

curlyhairedboy wrote:

Well said
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

sal wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm
This for Vasilli;

We had a regular forumite on this forum. His name was Vasilli. He was bright and an important part of this forum. Then we made a Mule Team that turned out to be bad and we were trying to recall them. He had already made a custom handle and he wanted more than the cost of the Mule Team. We were in no position at the time to fill his request and in the conversation, I insulted him. My Bad. I was a jerk.

SSssoooo, I want to apologize to Vasilli; I'm sorry Sir, and I would humbly invite you to return to our forum.

sal
Maybe you should apologize to him privately instead of making it into a public spectacle and manipulating the situation into being about YOU and how gracious and humble you are....

Reminds me of those loser youtubers who pretend to help homeless people and exploit them to make youtube videos for money and to get "Likes" for themselves....

"LOOK AT ME!!!! I AM SUCH A WONDERFUL FORGIVING PERSON!! """

Your intentions may be pure and sincere, but when people publicly do things like this, it seems pretty disengenious....
SG89

Post by SG89 »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:13 pm

Maybe you should apologize to him privately instead of making it into a public spectacle and manipulating the situation into being about YOU and how gracious and humble you are....

Reminds me of those loser youtubers who pretend to help homeless people and exploit them to make youtube videos for money and to get "Likes" for themselves....

Your intentions may be pure and sincere, but when people publicly do things like this, it seems pretty disengenious....
You do know who Sal is right?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
James Y

Post by James Y »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
sal wrote:
This for Vasilli;

sal

WOW.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Pretty sure Sal would have tried to contact Vasilli privately first, if he still (or ever) had contact information. This is probably his only avenue since the person in question has been banned from other forums for his behavior.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This Maximus dude is a Maximus douche...he's always confrontational. Biggest troll we have around, surprised he hasn't left or been banned by now.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SG89 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 pm
KnifusMaximus wrote:
You do know who Sal is right?
I am sure he does. Actually this guy is the only real troll I´ve personally ever encountered here - not the first time he posted stuff like this. Sad for him to be in need for such statements.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:51 pm
Pretty sure Sal would have tried to contact Vasilli privately first, if he still (or ever) had contact information. ....
This. One can´t contact members anymore as soon as they leave the forum / their account gets deleted.

And: Even if one is still a member but does not log in anymore they won´t get messages delivered.
But may still lurk here as a guest and so still get aware of posts like Sals
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
sal wrote:
This for Vasilli;

sal

Maybe no email or phone number.

Maybe he has been inactive on his account since this happened and wont see a private message since you would have to log in to see that.

Maybe Sal thinks this is the only way he will see it.

I also thought it was weird that it wasnt a private message or something but I ignored it and moved on.

You make immature and contentious comments like a teenager.

How easy would it have been to just shut up?
Last edited by VooDooChild on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."